- Text Size +

You’ve reached the voicemail. Leave a message after the acoustic signal.

Beep.

 

“Ni... Nick? It’s me. Again. Why aren’t you answering? Oh, you’ve probably forgotten to charge your phone once again. How many times have I told you to charge it every night? Too many, I know. But you never listen to me, you always start laughing and scolding me because I’m too annoying with these silly things. But if only... If you only have answered now...
I have to tell you something and I can wait for you to be back. You were late, last night. You’re always late, even when you just run to the shops at the end of our road and just to buy two things. So, you were late. And I was waiting for you. I’m always waiting for you, it seems to be the only thing I’ve ever done for all my life. I’ve waited patiently for a sign from you, for a smile only for me. For just one kiss. For just one caress.
I was waiting for you but I wasn’t angry. You didn’t know. You couldn’t know that I was preparing you a surprise. Nothing too special, nothing big. Just a romantic dinner. Suddenly, someone rang at the doorbell. Looking out I realized it was raining. No, not just raining. It was pouring. It was one of those night when you would usually trap me inside your arms and we would stay all day under the blankets, listening to the sound of the rain against the window. Do you remember? I do. I will always do.
– The voice was interrupted by a wet breath, letting a moment wander inside the silence. – When I opened the door, there were two policemen. And they told me the stupidest and absolutely wrong of all the stories. There had been an accident on the main road, that intersection we come across to get back home, the one where there are always flowers on both sides. Two cars, one of them didn’t stop and went straight against the other one coming from the opposite side. A pile of scrap metal that it took them hours to retrieve the... the victims. Their bodies. And, gosh, Nick, you wouldn’t believe what they had told me! They said,  gravely and condescending, that you were one of them. That you were dead. Nick, why didn’t you tell me that someone had stolen your license? Or your car? You should have told me, we would have gone to the police and none of this would have happened. I didn’t believe them, of course. Quite the opposite, I was furious. How could they say that lie? Why didn’t they make sure that it wasn’t you. Because... it couldn’t be you, right? But they forced me to go with them to the hospital, though I didn’t understand why. They... they wanted me to sign some papers without giving me a certainty that you... – His voice broke, getting itself trapped in a sob that didn’t want to come out. One, two, three breaths before Brian was sure he could keep on talking. – I’ve never been to a morgue, you know? Guess there is always a first time for everything. Even there, I refused to believe in those words. I kept repeating to myself that it wasn’t true, it couldn’t be true. It had to be a cruel and horrible prank. So I kept asking, demanding to see you. I needed to see with my eyes, I needed a proof that... that you were gone. I’ve never been someone who easily give up. Stubborn, you’ve always called me. Then... then Kevin arrived. He believed it, you should have seen him. he was pale, deathly white like he didn’t need an evidence for you to be dead. There had been tears in his eyes but he wasn’t crying. And... why I looked at him? I met his eyes and I knew... I knew it was true. I realized that it wasn’t a lie or a prank because Kevin wouldn’t never done something that horrible to me! To us. Why? Why did you have to go? Why are you dead, Nick?”  

Chapter End Notes:
So, this story it's gonna be quite weird. As you can see, the chapters will be only Brian's messages towards Nick's voicemail. I know, I'm bad... I've killed Nick! lol