- Text Size +
Nick was packing his suitcase for the long tour he was about to embark on for the “This Is Us” album. He had to leave later this afternoon he didn’t want to leave Rayna and the kids she would be alone and pregnant he didn’t want to miss any doctor appointments and possibly the birth of their daughter if she decided to arrive early. He was so overwhelmed with emotion he sat down on the edge of the bed and tears just came rolling down his face.

“Nick?” Rayna called she was looking for him he quickly wiped away his tears.

“I’m in here” he called back. Rayna came walking in

“Everything alright? You have been back here for a while”

“Yeah just finishing up the packing I just wanted to make sure I had everything since I was going to be gone for a while. The last thing I want to do is to forget something, and I really don’t want to leave you I am just kind of depressed since I will be missing pretty much the entire pregnancy.”

“I know but I’ll be sending you pictures and we have Skype and you will have your lap top so we can still play World Of Warcraft together when we are bored out of our minds. It will be rough on everyone, yes but we will make it through this.” Rayna comforted him.

“Pictures don’t beat being here though i wish you guys could come.”

“You will be home in plenty time of the due date that is the most important thing is being there for the birth everything else is just a bonus.” Nick sighed he knew Rayna was right witnessing the birth of their child would be the most rewarding thing there was.

“Yea, I guess you are right but it still breaks my heart I won’t be here to feel her kick for the first time or see her on the screen at the doctor’s office”

“I know hun, but you will be home before you know it. I will let you get back to packing though I will make you some lunch before you leave.”

“Alright, I love you”

“Love you too.” He watched Rayna walk out of the room he put a couple of pictures of the kids his wallet and two more in his suitcase that they drew for him, as well as the ultrasound picture of their daughter. This pregnancy is no longer a secret though they had been spotted at a local Starbucks and it really wasn’t that hard to tell Rayna was expecting. They were hoping to keep it that way for a little while longer they enjoyed the peace from the media. They both knew it had only been a matter of time before the cat would be out of the bag eventually. After he had gotten done packing he walked into the kitchen and Rayna had made him a turkey bacon cheese melt with some tomato soup on the side.

“Bacon!” he exclaimed. Rayna laughed.

“Not the best meal or the healthiest but it will do,” she smiled,” I am sure you won’t be getting a whole lot of home cooked meals on the road.” As Nick chowed down on his sandwich his phone rang it was Brian.

“Yo what’s up?” he said with a mouth full of food.

“I just called and wanted to let you know they moved our flight until tomorrow morning some kind of a storm system or something was moving in our flight is scheduled for 10am.”

“Awesome!” Rayna had overheard the conversation and quickly wrote out a note and passed it along to Nick,” Hey Rok, Rayna wants to invite everyone over for dinner tonight for one last home cooked meal she is making chili personally I think that’s a big mistake with a bunch of men but what the hell her chili is awesome!”

“Alright, that sounds good I will tell the other two since you were the first person I called, what time?” Rayna held up her handing indicating five.

“She said five”

“Alright we shall see you then,” Nick hung up the phone.

“Girl you are one brave woman serving chili to a bunch of men,” he joked.

“Not my problem after 10am tomorrow,” she giggled. Nick smirked.

“Do we need to go to the store for anything?”

“Nope I got everything here I was planning on inviting the girls over later this week for chili but I figured why not have everyone over tonight,” she said getting everything out onto the counter.

“I am not sure how the passengers on the plane will appreciate the chili tomorrow,” he laughed while bringing his plate into the kitchen.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Everyone had arrived right on time and the chili was ready to go.

“Thank you for inviting us over Ray,” Brian said eating a big spoonful of chili.

“Oh you’re welcome we would have had tons of left overs and no one to eat them all,” she smiled.

“Well I have to say it is some of the best chili I have ever had who taught you how to make it?”

“Paula Deen,” she laughed,” But I just add my own flare to it I guess but that’s where I got the recipe from.”

“Well I am sure she would be mighty proud if she tasted this.” As everyone conversed around the dining table in the dining room there was a knock at the door. Rayna looked at Nick and they both were thinking the same thing who could it be? Everyone was here. Nick walked over to the door and opened it and there stood his mother with two suitcases.

“Mom what are you doing here? Why didn’t you call?”

“I heard you were going on tour and having a baby that I didn’t even know about”

“Yes, I leave tomorrow but you still didn’t answer my question on why you are here and why you didn’t call first” Rayna walked over to Nick and placed her hand on his arm.

“Why don’t we talk about this later Nick we have company over. Come in Jane I made some chili. Nick please take your mothers suitcases into the guest room” Rayna said. She could tell Nick was upset about his mother just showing up out of the blue no one was expecting her but why was she here? It’s like she knew Nick should have been gone by now she looked almost just as surprised as Nick was when he answered the door. As Jane got some chili and sat down with everyone else. Nick came back from the quest room and pulled Rayna aside.

“She can’t stay here Ray”

“Why not? Obviously she came to help me Nick.”

“Ray it’s a bad idea you have to understand you don’t know her like I do” he pleaded.

“Nick you are being ridiculous! Maybe this is our chance to get to know each other better” Nick just shook his head.

“And I am saying it’s a bad idea Ray please just freaking listen to me for once,”

“I think you are acting like a fucking two year old right now maybe if you gave her a damn chance instead of judging her right off the bat I don’t feel like fighting right now I would rather spend the time with you and everyone out there right now since you have to leave in the morning.” Rayna stormed off. He knew having his mother hear was nothing but bad news was he the only one that saw this? The more he thought about her being here while he was gone the more he could feel his blood start to boil he walked back into the living room and everyone was getting ready to go.” Ugh this whole fucking night is just ruined.” He thought to himself.

“Hey Nick I am sorry we are cutting this so short but we have to get going we will see you in the morning and thanks for the chili we will need to come back and do this again when we get off the tour,” Nick just got even more aggravated.

“Alright, I guess I will see you guys in the morning.” He said giving everyone a hug.

“Thank you guys for coming.” Rayna said smiling as everyone left there in the corner was Nick just stewing over the recent events.

“You know this is your fault right” he angrily said towards his mother.

“Nick. Don’t start” Rayna begged.

“Ray stay out of this” he raised his voice.

“No! You stop this right now give her a fucking chance to explain herself here you go acting like a child again.” Rayna raised her voice back.

“Fine! Please so kindly explain as to why you are here and don’t give me any bullshit because clearly I am not in the fucking mood to deal with it.”

“I came to help out since I had to find out from a television show that you are having a baby and now you are touring overseas. I didn’t call because I knew this is the reaction would get from you. I know I should have called and I am sorry I didn’t “Nick didn’t believe her.

“Whatever mom you haven’t spoken to me in almost three months and now you just expect me to let you stay here in my house and help Rayna with her doctor appointments and the kids you are out of your fucking mind mother! And I didn’t tell you about the baby because we wanted to keep it a secret for a little while longer and enjoy the moments we had together but we were spotted the only reason why everyone knows right now, but I don’t want you staying here it’s the end of this discussion. I will put the kids to bed tonight.” Nick picked up Olivia and took Hunter by the hand and took them upstairs.

“Good night guys I love you see you in the morning before I go to the airport.”

“Night, night daddy.” Nick was furious with Rayna for sticking up for his mom how dare she do that? She doesn’t even know her and know what she is truly capable of. Rayna maybe on her good side for now but eventually she will show her true colors she can only be nice for so long.