- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
borrowed my mother in laws internet card to get some updates! Enjoy!
Nick boarded the plane that morning without saying good-bye to Rayna or his mother. He couldn’t get over the events from the night before. He knew what was going to happen eventually whether anyone wanted to believe him or not. He felt bad for not saying good-bye though he wasn’t even going to be able to get back home until almost December just in time for Christmas. Howie saw Nick just staring at his phone.

“Just call her I am sure there was an argument of some kind last night after we left it is written all over your face just apologize and get it over with”

“D, it isn’t that easy you know. I yelled at her we have never gotten into any kind of an argument before until my mother showed up.”

“You were just angry with your mom it will all blow over just let her know how you feel you still have a lot to learn about these kinds of things Nicky. Just take my advice and just call her or text her instead of sitting here for the next fifteen hours staring at your phone wondering who is going to call who first.” Howie was right there wasn’t any use and being angry at Rayna she didn’t do anything,” So why did she come out to visit anyway?” he asked.

“She wanted to help Rayna with doctor appointments and the kids I guess.”

“What’s so bad about that?”

“She hates her D that’s the problem she really hate her. She told me a while back that she would never approve of her because it was silly to fall in love online and she has two kids. She thinks Rayna is just out for my money or something I don’t know it doesn’t make any sense to me. If she would just get to know Rayna the real Rayna instead what everyone else has told her she would like her.”

“Is there any kind of a possibility she is changing her tune since this baby is your baby?”

“Doubt it. I just have a very bad feeling about all of this. I tried to tell her but she didn’t listen. She just kept calling me a child and to give her another chance ,” Nick shifted in his seat to get more comfortable,” I hate to tell her I told her so when shit really hits the fan because it will its only a matter of time before my mother shows her real colors”

“I wouldn’t say you are being a child you are just acting cold towards the whole situation but then again there are a ton of issues with your mom, but honestly Nick I wouldn’t read too much into it just focus on what’s going on right now. I am sure it will all work out in time” Nick just ignored him and put his headphones on. Why does everyone keep thinking he is the bad guy? Does no one truly understand what she has done to him? History will always repeat itself with her it always has and it certainly always will.

……………………

Back at the Carter household Rayna woke up alone and it was almost 10am. She felt a little heartbroken that he had left without saying good-bye. Was he still mad? Or was he running late this morning and didn’t have time? She didn’t know. When she saw that it was 10am she got up and went downstairs and saw Jane playing with the kids,” I knew Nick was wrong about her,” she thought,” she is playing so well with them why does he keep saying she is so bad?”

“Good morning Jane did you sleep well?” she asked.

“Fair I guess these kids never sleep do they?”

“I guess it depends. Did they wake you?”

“Yes they did I didn’t see you get up so I figured since I obviously wasn’t going to be getting to go back to sleep I would just get up” Rayna was quite taken back by her attitude.

“I’m sorry” she apologized,” Come on kids let’s give Jane some time alone and for the record all you had to do was come and wake me up and I would have gotten up.” Rayna shot back. Rayna took both of the kids to the play room,” Maybe Nick was right? She said she didn’t get a good night’s sleep maybe she is just cranky and not a morning person?” she thought as she watched the kids play when Jane came into the room.

“I’m sorry. I was out of line to speak to you like that. Its been a long time since I have been up at five am.”

“It’s alright I understand. I appreciate you letting me sleep in, but I don’t want you to feel like you have to do everything with the kids I can handle them most of the time sometimes I just need a break every once in a while.”

“Well you need plenty of rest because once this baby is born you’ll practically be on your own since all Nick does is tour”

“We will be fine I am sure. I don’t get why you think I will be alone its no worse than people who are in the trucking business they are gone for months or can be anyway and its almost the same thing with Nick except he is touring the country,” Rayna felt herself starting to become angry.

“Nick has a lot of growing up to do and I don’t understand why he chose someone with two kids to settle down with.” Rayna’s feelings were suddenly hurt.

“We fell in love I wasn’t some prize he just picked out of a prize machine. We fell in love over months at a time. So what if I had two kids from a previous relationship he has been more of a father to them than their biological one. If you would just open up your eyes and see that. The kids and I are going to go to the park for a while. Come on kids lets go and get your coats.” Rayna scooped up the kids in her arms and toted them downstairs and put their coats on and out the door they went to the park. Rayna was starting to understand why Nick was so upset with her. She doesn’t even like her she hates her she hates the fact she has two children and even though she was pregnant with Nick’s child she didn’t seem to care it didn’t even faze her. While watching the kids Rayna received an email from Nick.

I would have just texted you but this is long. I am sorry for yelling at you last night. I am also sorry for not saying good-bye I feel so bad about it especially since I won’t be around for the next month or so I won’t get to wake up to you lying next to me. I am truly sorry about it. My mother can make me go kinda crazy sometimes I hope you can forgive me. I will see you real soon I love you.

Rayna texted Nick

“And I am sorry too. I love you talk to you soon.”

Rayna wasn’t planning on telling Nick about this little incident today. It will all just blow over soon enough-she hoped!