- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Enjoy!
Rayna woke up to crashing dishes in the kitchen. It was only seven am and the kids were still sleeping and Rayna didn’t get a whole lot of sleep due to the little terror inside of her that decided to be a night owl and not to mention Olivia was up all night with a cough. Rayna walked downstairs into the kitchen and saw Jane putting dishes into the sink.

“What in the world are you doing?” Rayna asked.

“Cleaning I went to get a cup and there was still stuff in them.”

“That’s impossible I did them all last night before I went to bed”

“Well there was I don’t see why you just don’t have a maid or something or at least get yourself a dishwasher maybe the dishes would actually get cleaned.” Rayna grumbled.

“I can do all of this myself I don’t need to spend a bunch of money on stupid stuff…yes a dishwasher would be nice and yes we can afford one but I don’t mind doing it by hand and as for a maid I would rather clean myself cause I am perfectly capable of cleaning my own house.” Rayna shot back. She needed to calm down before her blood pressure went through the roof.

“Its not just the dishes its everything…the floors, the laundry, and I don’t even want to get started on your room.” She said as she started to sweep the floor,” You do realize most of the dirt comes from the corners?”

“Yes I know this you try getting on your hands and a knee five months pregnant to get the corners one little spec of dirt isn’t going to kill us you know.” Rayna raised her voice.

“Listen number one don’t raise your voice at me and number two you will never be good enough. I have seen the way you have been cleaning for the past month and I just couldn’t take it any longer,” she raised her voice right back.

“This is my house and I should be able to keep it the way I want to. So it isn’t spotless sue me and if you don’t like it Jane there is the damn door don’t let it hit you on the way out”

“Correction this is Nick’s house you just live in it”

“This is both of ours we live in it together. Both of our names are on the deed to the house not just his. We sold the other one and moved so the kids could have a better life instead of being in the heart of Los Angeles, and I am not just some “guest” living here I am his fiancé and I don’t think any of us give a shit whether you approve or not because we love each other” Rayna didn’t understand why she was being so hostile towards her and all of this just over cause there was a stain in a cup? She was pregnant and her doctor ordered her to be on light duty which meant she needed to stay off her feet. It seemed like every other week she would fixate on something else and turn it into something bigger than it didn’t need to be. Everything was just starting to get out of hand,” Not to mention Jane you were there when the doctor ordered me to go onto light duty which means I can’t stay on my feet for long periods of time. I don’t get why you don’t see this.”

“I think you have a lot of life lessons to learn starting with raising your children. They are out of control all the time”

“They are only three and two Jane…what do you want me to do beat them?”

“Well no but a good spank will do every once in a while.”

“They do get spanked Jane just because I don’t leave a mark doesn’t mean it doesn’t get the point across. I am not perfect and nor will I ever be perfect”

“Sometimes that’s the only way to get your point across to them Rayna, and also I don’t hate you I just think he could have done better.” That was the final straw for Rayna.

“I am done Jane you need to leave I can’t take this anymore get out,” she demanded,” Go and pack your stuff and get out of the house” Rayna had enough why couldn’t Jane see that her and Nick were happy together why did she always have to be so hateful?

“If you make me leave I will tell Nick that the baby you are carrying isn’t his”

“Blackmail, really Jane? Nice try “Rayna was growing impatient with her.

“He will believe me you know. I am his mother”

“He won’t believe you he isn’t stupid. Please leave before I call the cops” Jane walked upstairs and grabbed her things. A few minutes later she was back downstairs

“This isn’t the end Rayna. I hope you know this”

“Don’t you threaten me get out!” Rayna shouted. She needed to calm down the stress was getting to her and picked up the phone and called the one person who could calm her down.

“Hey babe what’s up?”

“We gotta talk” she said.

“That is never a good line what’s wrong?”

“Well I kinda kicked your mother out” she said,” For the past month all she has done is bitched, moaned and groaned at me for the stupidest stuff. When she damn well knows I am on light duty for the remainder of this pregnancy. Don’t say I told you so either cause I know you are thinking it right now”

“Why didn’t you just tell me sooner?” he questioned.

“Because I thought I had it under control until this morning when she went all super bitch on me. She started throwing dishes into the sick cause they weren’t clean enough some of those dishes had stains but she mistook them for dirty ones then started complaining that we didn’t have a maid, or a dishwasher. The straw that took me over the edge was she said I wasn’t good enough for you and I never will be good enough for you and that you could do way better because I had two kids.” She started to cry.

“Please don’t cry I wish I could do something but I am so far away right now. She has been like this my entire life every girl that has ever walked through my door has been judged and ridiculed for stupid shit the only girl she never did that with was Kara and maybe that’s because they were so much alike in a way I guess, but to her no one will ever be good enough.”

“She was going to try and blackmail me too. She told me if I made her leave she was going to tell you that our daughter wasn’t yours.” Nick laughed.

“And she thought I would believe her? She is crazy! I wish I could stay on the phone longer but I can’t I have a sound check I have to get to and then a CD signing and well then the concert. I miss you and I will call you later ok?”

“Love you”

“Love you too” she hung up the phone Nick usually can calm her down but this was different she still felt the same. She started thinking about how she used to calm herself down when she was just having a bad day and then realized her playlist.

“Hey kids want to hear daddy sing?”

“Daddy sing! Daddy sing!” they chanted. She turned on her computer and put on “All I Have to Give”

I don’t know what he does to make you cry
But I’ll be there to make you smile
I don’t have a fancy car
To get to you
I’d walk a thousand miles


Every time she played this song it seemed like everything that she was feeling would just disappear.

“More Daddy! More Daddy!” the kids chanted again. Rayna smiled and put on “Safest Place To Hide”

You see colors no one else can see
And every breath you hear a symphony
You understand me like nobody can
I feel my soul unfoldin’ like a flower bloomin


“More! More!”

“How about we go to the park!” she quickly changed the subject.

“Park! Park!” they shouted. Rayna got the kids dressed in warm clothes and off to the park they went. Rayna could only imagine how Nick must be feeling about this mother more than likely angrier than when he had left for the tour