- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
last update for the day! Enjoy!
The tour was almost over now. Rayna’s last doctor appointment didn’t go as planned. She learned that the twins were trying to arrive early and she was put onto strict bed rest which meant Rayna needed help, and help wasn’t really available 24/7 Leighanne had Baylee, Leigh just had James about six months ago. So she had to suck it up and call the one person she didn’t want to deal with- Jane. Jane agreed and apologized for making such a huge stink just the month before. Nick didn’t like it either but what choice did they have other than to hire a nanny. Leighanne was coming over for the day so Rayna told Jane that she could have a day off from playing grandma and have a day to herself.

“How are you feeling?” she asked.

“Eh I would rather be doing something else than sitting in this bed I am so bored!”

“I can only imagine have you tried doing something you have never done before?”

“Of course, but it doesn’t keep my interest for long. Plus I am so used to dealing with kids all the time I guess I just never picked up a hobby. I even tried playing WoW and that even got boring there is only so much I can do and I hate playing it without Nick so I gave up on that too”
“I wish I could keep you from your boredom what about kitting?” she suggested

“Yep didn’t go so well”

“Reading?”

“Yes, and I haven’t been able to find anything to keep my interested” Leighanne sat there and thought for a second.

“I know this is going to sound crazy but I think I just might have something to keep your interest.”

“Oh really?”

“I read it every once in a while myself when I am just plain bored. Nick found it a while back and told everyone about it. I am the only one that didn’t forget about it. I read it especially when Brian is gone for on tour or something”

“Well spill the beans woman what is it?”

“Fan fiction” Rayna smiled

“Oh yes the joys of fan fiction. I used to write it,” she chuckled,” I haven’t read any in a long time though I still have some sites saved onto my computer under favorites. I haven’t thought about that in a long time. “

“They can get kinda crazy but they always peak my interest. Well I think I am going to go and make the kids some lunch and then maybe go to the park if it doesn’t get too chilly outside. You need to get some rest though” Rayna sighed,” I know it’s hard just being stuck in a bed all day long but just think they will be here soon enough and you will be able to stay out of bed”

“That’s ten weeks away though! And I am so worried that they will just show up at any moment”

“Don’t worry yourself to death just try and stay calm”

“Nick keeps saying the same thing to me”

“Well you should listen to him. Well I will see you in a bit” Leighanne walked out of the room and shut the door behind her. Rayna laid in bed getting ready to drift off into sleep when all the sudden she was hit with a sharp pain.

“No this can’t be happening,” she said out loud,” Maybe it’s just Braxton hicks “she laid there for a few more minutes and then it happened again, but this one was stronger than the first. She knew she was going into labor,” Leighanne!” she yelled there was no answer so she decided to get up from the bed and call out from the door way, “Leigh…:” and as Rayna opened the door there was Leighanne

“What’s wrong?”

“Babies we need to go now”

“What?! It’s too early”

“I know the doctor told me though it could be anytime whether or not I had best rest that they would be ready to come when they wanted but if we don’t hurry up we might be having some babies on the side of the road, but I will explain more when we get to the hospital”

………..

At the hospital Leighanne was able to get a hold of Jane to come and get the kids while she stayed there with Rayna. They said her labor was progressing and that it was likely the babies would be arriving today and there wasn’t anything they could do from keep it happening. They gave her a shot to help the babies lungs develop but whether it would help or not they were uncertain. Rayna had tried to call Nick but there was no answer

“Have you tried calling Brian or any of the other guys?” she asked Leighanne

“Yes and no one is answering. I even tried to call Leigh too and nothing from her either. My guess is they are in an interview or something”

“Nick promised to always answer”

“We all know how that goes though,”

“I just wish he was here now”

“I know hun I am here I know I am not Nick but I am here to help you”

“I am so glad you are here I don’t know what I would do if I was alone and no one at the house”

“I would have panicked! I am glad I was there too” she said and then the phone rang, it was Nick Leighanne answered it

“What’s going on? Is everything ok?”

“Well hello to you too Nicky.” Leighanne said,” But she is in labor Nick and there isn’t anything they can do about it at this point. They will be born about 10 weeks early”

“Do they know why?”

“No it could be a number of things but as of right now everything is ok there is no distress or anything but here is Rayna” Leighanne handed her the phone

“I wish you were here” she said

“Me too I can’t believe I am going to miss the birth. I already had to miss the doctor appointments and everything else” he sadly said

“I know I am sad too”

“I am getting ready to hop onto a plane I will try and get there as soon as I can honey I promise”

“Don’t you have a show to do?”

“I said fuck it you are in labor and I am leaving the guys understood and so should the fans.” He said. Rayna’s doctor walked in to check on her and notice the heartbeats were becoming irregular with the twins

“I am sorry Ms. Johnson but we are going to need to take you in for an emergency C-section”

“Wait what?” Nick asked

“I have to go Nick I am sorry something is wrong I am going in for a C-section I love you and I will have Leighanne call as soon as the babies are born. I love you”

“I love you too I will be there as soon as I can” She knew Nick wouldn’t be there in time if only she hadn’t worried herself into pieces the babies would have stayed in there a little longer. She felt like this was all her fault. As the nurses quickly prepped Rayna for the OR she couldn’t help but wonder what was going on and why she was going in for an emergency C-section.

“Leighanne please stay with me I don’t want to be in there by myself” she pleaded Leighanne took a hold of her hand and nodded her head,” Thank you” They wheeled Rayna into the OR and Rayna was quickly numbed up. She was still looking for answers on to what could have caused this to happen.

“I had to make a quick decision for this C-section because the babies heartbeats were starting to become irregular and become faster and I didn’t want to take the chance of them going into distress because I am almost certain that’s what would have happened, but this won’t take very long Ms. Johnson” Rayna didn’t know what to think or what to feel she was excited but also worried all at the same time. Rayna felt the doctors tugging and pulling on her skin Rayna looked at Leighanne, Leighanne gave her a soft smile to try and comfort Rayna and then all the sudden she heard a cry. She felt relieved there was a cry. One of the nurses held up the baby and Leighanne quickly snapped a photo. Rayna watched the nurses clean up the first baby and weigh her Rayna looked back over at Leighanne and all she saw was sadness across her face.
“Leighanne what’s wrong?”

“I am not sure it looks like she wasn’t breathing they quickly took her out and put her over there on the other scale and they are attempting to get her to breath”

“Was the cord wrapped around her neck?”

“I didn’t see anything like that. I am not sure what’s wrong Ray but it isn’t looking good” Rayna started to cry she couldn’t imagine losing one of her children. Rayna heard another cry it was baby number two,” They got her breathing it looks like but they had to put a tube down her throat, but it looks like they are going to take them to the NICU where they both can be monitored” moments later the doctor came and sat down by Rayna’s head

“You had some bleeding but we were able to stop it, baby number one looks healthy she is breathing just fine her lungs and heart sound good but baby number two is having some problems. I am sure you heard the cry but she isn’t out of the woods yet she can’t seem to breathe on her own right now so we had to put a tube down her so she could breathe. Her lungs were severely under developed right now we are unsure if she will make it. So they will stay in the NICU until they are about 5lbs and then they can go home so for now I am going to wheel you up into recovery and then into your room and when are feeling up to it your friend here can take you down to see the babies” Rayna didn’t know what to say how do you deal with news that one of your children might not survive? Rayna looked at Leighanne who was in tears herself

“Go with the twins and please take pictures and send one to Nick he needs to see them and I will call and break the news to him” she softly said.,

“Can you also please call Jane for me?”

“Are you sure Ray?”

“Yes, I have to call Nick please just go with them they need someone there with them and if someone asks for their names baby number one is Madison and baby number two is Melissa” Leighanne nodded her head in agreement and walked out of the door heading towards the NICU with the twins.

……..

Rayna was finally in her room resting and decided to pick up the phone and call Nick.

“Is everything ok?” Rayna didn’t know how to tell him,” Ray? You are scaring me what’s wrong?”

“We have one healthy baby she was 2lbs 8oz and 15 inches long but I have some bad news,” Rayna started to cry,” Melissa, baby number two, has a rough road ahead her lungs were severely under developed and as of right now she cannot breathe on her own. She was only 1lb 5oz” she choked out. She could hear Nick start to cry on the other end of the phone,” They said sometimes these things just happen and there is no rhyme or reason to why they happen, they just do. I hope Leighanne took some good pictures and sent them to you I haven’t brought myself to go down there just yet I am waiting for you. I just hope she makes it, but I don’t know”

“Don’t say that she’ll make it she is a fighter we will all make it through this we will have two beautiful babies to raise”

“I wish that too Nick but my heart is telling me different. My heart is telling me that this is the end”

“Rayna stop thinking like that! For once please just think positive and be optimistic”

“I don’t want to fight about this Nick.”

“I will be landing in a few hours. I was going to be surprising you tonight we called the tour off a day early something about the government or some shit I can’t really remember what was going on but the point is I will be home soon and I will be able to see you, Hunter, Olivia, Madison and Melissa and everything will be fine”

“Alright I love you and will see you soon”

“Love you too” Rayna knew she was thinking the worse with Melissa but her heart was saying to let go, but maybe Nick was right and it would all work out, but why does she have this feeling? It doesn’t make any sense to her she knows something is wrong but everyone seems to be in complete denial over it but her Rayna decided that it would be best if she got some rest before Nick got there so they could go and see the twins together for the first time.