- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
this is a short chapter I hope you enjoy it!
Said good-bye turned around
And you were gone, gone, gone
Faded into the setting sun
Slipped away
But I won’t cry
‘Cause I know I’ll never be lonely
For you are the stars to me
You are the light I follow


Six limos pulled up to the cemetery the day has come to bury Melissa. Rayna and Nick never thought in a million years that they would have to bury one of their own children so soon. Her sister was going to get to come home in another week or so. Nick and Rayna decided to sell their house and move to a smaller city somewhere, where they could raise their kids without the life of the city they both wanted a change.

I will see you again
This is not where it ends
I will carry you with me
Til I see you again


Everyone opened their doors at the same time all stepping out of the cars. Kevin and Kristen flew in from Kentucky the night before to be there for Nick and Rayna all of Nick’s family were there too including his brother and sisters everyone wanted to support them in this time of grieving. As everyone walked up to the burial site there was just an overwhelming look of sadness across everyone’s face no one was quite prepared to deal with this. When they walked up to the tent the chairs were already set surrounding the hole in the ground.

I can hear those echoes
In the wind at night
Calling me back in time
Back to you
In a place far way
Where the water meets the sky
The thought of it makes me smile
You are my tomorrow


Everyone took their seats the service was ready to begin Nick had asked Brian to help with the casket to put it onto the lift Brian agreed. He couldn’t imagine what Nick was going through but he imagined that Nick felt like there was a piece of him missing a void of sadness that no one would ever be able to explain. As they carried the casket of Melissa Brian looked around at everyone who was now sobbing including his wife. He couldn’t imagine himself going through this. How would he have felt if he lost Baylee this young? When they put the casket onto the lift he and Nick took their seats but as they were walking he noticed that Rayna wasn’t crying not even shedding a tear. He couldn’t help but wonder why.

I will see you again
This is not where it ends
I will carry you with me
Til I see you again


As the priest said his words everyone was still in tears-except Rayna. She couldn’t even understand why she wasn’t she was burying her child. She knew she was sad but maybe she had cried to much over the last week she was all cried out? Her heart was filled with nothing but sadness and it was breaking but still there were no tears she even tried to cry by thinking of something sad but what could possibly be sadder than losing your own child?

Sometimes I feel my heart is breaking
But I stay strong
And I hold on ‘cause I know


Nick noticed that Rayna wasn’t crying like everyone else he grabbed her hand she squeezed it back reassuring him that she was ok but he wasn’t convinced. This is supposed to be a day of sadness and a day to grieve but she wasn’t grieving maybe all of this hasn’t hit her yet? Maybe she is still in denial that this has all happened? Maybe she still thinks Melissa is going to come back to life somehow?

I will see you again
This is not where it ends
I will carry you with me
Till I see you again


It was time to bury Melissa into the ground. Everyone got up and proceeded to pick up a rose at the end of the isle. Fifteen rose’s total lay on Melissa’s casket. Nick nodded his head and they started to lower the casket into the ground once it was lowered the grounds men started covering the casket up with dirt Melissa was officially buried. Everyone turned around and started heading back to their limos but Rayna and Nick they stuck behind for a moment and placed two more rose’s on her headstone it read

Melissa Jane Carter
one too soon born
December 10, 2009 died December 11, 2009


Nick and Rayna were now heading back to their limo and now it was time for the healing process to really begin and to grieve and get back to their daily lives though it would be rough for a while they knew that they would make it through this.

,b>Said good-bye turned around
And you were gone, gone, gone


Song: "See You Again" by: Carrie Underwood off the album "Blown Away"