- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
enjoy!
A lot has changed in the last month in the Carter household they finally moved out of their city home and settled into a smaller town on the outskirts of Los Angeles. They even managed to find some land about five acres or so which was hard for the state of California, but Rayna always wanted to raise her kids on a mini farm. Jane even moved herself into a small trailer on the property to help out with Rayna whenever she needed it. They decided to put their differences aside and try to get along with one another. Nick’s management company wanted him to start working on a new solo album even though the last one didn’t do so well they thought that since Nick was older and his voice has matured that it was time to put out another one but he only agreed to it as long as he had full control over the album. Their management team also decided to go ahead and cancel the rest of the “This Is Us” tour to give Nick sometime home with the family as well just as a small break before hitting the studio again.

Everyone seemed to be adjusting well to Madison being home the hardest thing they have had trouble with was the late night feedings Rayna decided to take that shift while Nick took the day shift dealing with Hunter and Olivia so Rayna could get some well-deserved sleep. Rayna had awoken from her nap and went downstairs to find everyone fast asleep on the couch Olivia on one side of Nick, Hunter on the other side and little Madison on his chest. Rayna grabbed Nick’s phone and snapped a quick picture which woke up Nick.

“I wasn’t sleeping I swear” Rayna giggled

“Yes you were”

“Was not” he protested.

“I beg to differ I have proof!” she said showing him the evidence. Nick looked at the photo

“Yea my eyes were just shut you can’t prove that I was actually sleeping,” he smiled,” Anyways did you have a good nap?” Rayna nodded,” There is some lunch in the kitchen and this also came for you today” he said handing her the envelope

“I could get used to this not cooking this” she said opening the letter

“Well I didn’t cook today mom told me I wasn’t allowed to do it today that she was taking over for today. “ Nick looked at Rayna who was intensely reading her letter,” Everything ok?”

“Just more bullshit from John he is officially seeking custody of Hunter and Olivia”

“Why this time?”

“Same reasons as last time and now apparently I am endangering my children because Melissa died”

“He has no clue what happened. I can’t believe he is even bringing this up. Melissa and Madison aren’t even his children I don’t understand the whole endangering part of this whole thing. He must be an idiot or something; does he think you are just going to give in?”

“He is just trying to hurt me for taking the kids away from him, but I don’t think he can even touch us I mean he hasn’t even attempted to bother with getting to know the kids or anything he abandoned them.” Nick grabbed the piece of paper from Rayna and looked it over.

“I will have my lawyer take a look at it this doesn’t seem fair to me why bring an innocent child into this situation when he doesn’t even know what truly happened”

“I know which is why I am calling bullshit why does someone or something always have to do fuck with me? Doesn’t anyone want us to be happy anymore?” Rayna was upset and she just couldn’t take it anymore. First she had to deal with the death of Melissa and now her idiot ex is trying to take Hunter and Olivia too when will this ever calm down?

“Ray you are reading why too into this”

“No I am not Nick! It’s like no one wants us to be happy” she snapped

“I do!”

“Why? All we have been through is hell we lost a child and now this jackass of an ex is trying to take Hunter and Olivia from us”

“Why? Because I love you and because we are meant to be together Ray life isn’t meant to be easy. John cannot touch us I can guarantee that he cannot prove anything” Rayna threw her hands in the air and started to walk towards the front door.

“I need some time to think I will be back in a little bit” and Rayna walked out the door Nick had never seen Rayna so upset before he didn’t understand what was going on with her. Jane came walking into the living room from the kitchen.

“What’s going on? I just saw Rayna walking out towards the field”

“I think she is just having an emotional breakdown. Her ex is trying to take full custody of Hunter and Olivia with saying we are endangering them because she caused Melissa’s death or some kind of bullshit like that and of course she didn’t cause her death because it had to deal with a missing chromosome he is just an idiot.” He explained,” She will be back though she just needs some time to cool down and think it all through. Things have been kind of crazy since Madison has come home and knowing I have to get back into the studio soon I don’t think it helping either” Jane looked at Nick.

“Nick I think Rayna needs a little more time than just a few hours to cool it off”

“She will be fine”

“Nick listen to me please she needs more time to cope with Melissa I don’t think she fully grieved her death I noticed she didn’t cry at her funeral and I am sure everyone else did too. I think she is depressed and I think she needs to go to a facility that will help her”

“No, I am not just going to send her away mom. She will be fine” Nick was in denial was his mom right? Was Rayna really this depressed and unhappy that he didn’t even notice? And if she was depressed why didn’t she come to him?

“Fine, don’t listen to me Nickolas but when she leaves next time and she doesn’t come back I will stand here and tell you I told you so” Jane walked back into the kitchen to continue to prepare for dinner. Nick moved the kids into their beds to finish out their nap and then he went and sat down on the front porch in the swing to wait for Rayna.

.........

Hours had passed and Rayna still wasn’t home he was beginning to worry. He tried to call her cell-nothing. He started thinking the worse until he saw her finally walking down the driveway. Nick walked off the porch and met her half way

“Why didn’t you answer your cell?”

“I didn’t take it with me I told you I was going out”

“You have been gone for four hours Ray”

“I lost track of time”

“Look I don’t want this to turn into some fight or anything so I will just come out and say it” he ran his fingers through his hair he couldn’t believe he was going to say this” I think we need some time away”

“What?”

“You have a lot on your mind Ray. You haven’t been focused and you are so unhappy I want you to be happy”

“So breaking up with me is the way for me to be happy? I don’t understand it is this like another one of your blonde moments or something?”

“No, I am talking about going to a facility to help you with your depression” he stated

“I am not depressed Nick, and sending me away isn’t going to solve anything was this your mother’s idea?” Nick nodded,” So now you are taking her side all the sudden?” Nick shook his head.

“I am not taking her side I have noticed it too and I am just really worried about you why can’t you see this?” he questioned.

“Because no one has ever cared about me before Nick; no one! It seems like every time I become happy and everything starts to go right it all gets fucked in the head”

“That’s life you can’t expect it to always be sunshine and rainbows as much as I think we all would like it to be it doesn’t always work that way.” Rayna gave Nick a hug and started to cry.

“I am so messed up Nick I don’t know what to do”

“Then let me help you. I can help you I want you to be happy again I love you and I don’t want to lose you” Rayna closed her eyes and sighed.

“Alright but are you still going to send me away?”

“I think a facility will be better for you I know you don’t want to go away but I think its best they can help you with your depression it will be better than having to deal with everything here at least there you can start getting help and then work on it when you get out. You have so much to worry about here”

“Fine, I am willing to do whatever it takes but please get John off my back he will never ever get custody of the kids”

“Already done Robert said the best thing to do was to get married since the kids have your last name they would just transfer I guess”

“You sure?” she questioned.

“Positive, that’s if you will still have me”

“Of course I love you. So what now? Do we just go elope in Vegas?” Nick laughed.

“Good idea! A shotgun wedding we could always do something bigger later” Nick suggested.

“Very true so a shotgun wedding it is!” Nick smiled Nick kissed Rayna he was glad that they had worked everything out but was Rayna going to hold up her end of the bargin?