- Text Size +
Rayna suddenly woke up from her deep sleep in pain she switched sides in hoping to relieve the pain, but it just wasn’t getting any better. She started to shake Nick and he opened his eyes.

“Everything ok?” he asked

“Call your mother we have to go now” Rayna replied.

“Do I need to call 911?”

“Only if you don’t call your mother” she snickered.

“Alright, alright I am calling her now” Rayna walked into the shower and hopped in for a quick shower hoping to calm the contractions down a bit. She heard Nick walk into the bathroom,” What in the world are you doing?”

“What does it look like I am doing? I am trying to get these damn contractions to slow down so we can get there in time. Is your mother here yet?”

“Yes,” Rayna quickly hopped out of the shower and threw on some pajamas and grabbed her bag and out the door they went. They really weren’t expecting another baby so quickly but they assumed their little honeymoon in June contributed to this little miracle thankfully Rayna’s entire pregnancy was smooth this time around. It was hard for Rayna to accept another pregnancy at first with what happened with Melissa in all but she prayed every day that this baby would be healthy. She knew she couldn’t take another heartbreak.

Rayna and Nick arrived at the hospital just moments later the nurse handed Rayna a gown to put on once she did that she hopped onto the bed and the nurses hooked up all the necessary machines and then she saw the on call doctor walk in.

“Hello Mrs. Carter I am Dr. Cooper. I see you were scheduled for a C-section next week, but I am pretty positive this baby has other plans,” he said.

“Other plans?”

“Yes, you are in full on labor Mrs. Carter”

“Is that even possible? I mean I had a C-section with my twins in 2009”

“Yes its possible it’s done all the time I will check you but I am almost positive he is already descending down into the birth canal but I will be back in a few minutes to get a better look.” He said as he walked out the door.

“Eager little bugger isn’t he?” Nick said as he pulled up a chair and sat next to Rayna.

“I guess so but why does everyone assume it’s a boy?”

“Cause that’s what he is silly” Rayna smiled at Nick.

“Pft you don’t know that unless you went behind my back but we all think it’s a girl”

“All girls want girls just like all boys want boys but we will see who wins after tonight,” Rayna gave Nick a glare

“You betted on our unborn child?”

“Not exactly there wasn’t any money involved I promise. The guys and I were talking one day and the subject came up and Brian and I said boy and AJ and Howie said girl so we want to prove them wrong,” Rayna just shook her head.

“Men” she said as she shook her head some more. Rayna could feel that her contractions were getting closer and more intense now one of the nurses notified Dr. Cooper and he came in and gave Rayna a quick check.

“Just as I suspected Mrs. Carter the baby is in the birth canal and is ready to make his or her appearance so I am going to count to three and I want you to push Dr. Cooper counted to three and Rayna pushed as hard as she could,” That was fantastic Mrs. Carter let’s wait for the next contraction and we will do it all over again,” Just minutes later another contraction hit and Dr. Cooper once more counted to three,” Mr. Carter if you could hold onto her other leg there it might help the process a little better,” Nick did as he was told to do and was now holding Rayna’s other leg in place. He was glad to be here for the birth of this child but he was also kind of scared all at the same time he had never witnessed a birth before.

“You are doing great Ray,” Nick said with a smile all Rayna could do was give him a slight smile trying to hide the pain that she was in.

“Almost there just one more big push and the baby will be here,” Rayna pushed as hard as she could and at last there was a cry.” Rayna looked over at Nick who had tears of joy rolling down his face.” I now introduce you to your little baby boy,” Dr. Cooper put the little bundle of joy onto Rayna’s belly,” Would you like to cut the cord Mr. Carter?” Nick nodded his head and cut the cord while Rayna got all cleaned up the nurses took the newest edition to the Carter clan to get weighed,” Congratulation’s guys I have another patient who is about to give birth the nurses are going to take it from here. I will come back in and check on you once you have gotten settled into your new room.” Dr. Cooper shook Nick’s hand and walked out the door.

“Does he have a name?” one of the nurses asked.

“Darren Gene Carter” Rayna replied.

“Well we will take little Darren here to get a nice bath and get all snuggled in and a nurse is going to come in and wheel you off to your suite” Rayna kissed Darren on the forehead and the nurse carried him out of the room.

“Go ahead and say it” Rayna said looking at Nick.

“Say what?”

“You know you want to gloat about it so do it”

“I am not going to gloat but I will say I knew it” he smirked,” I am going to go and text everyone and make an official statement cause I am sure everyone is just dying to know right now. I will see you back in your room. I love you” he said giving her a quick kiss.

“Alright, I love you too” Nick walked out of the room and down the hall to the nursery he looked through the window at all the other babies looking for Darren but then he saw the nurse with him wrapping him up like a taco. Nick peaked his head in.

“I am sorry to bother you but would it be a problem to get a picture?”

“Sure” the nurse finished wrapping him up and then put a blue knitted hat onto his tiny little head. Nick snapped a quick picture

“Thank you so much!” he smiled.

“No problem Mr. Carter” the nurse smiled back. Nick walked out the door and sat down on a nearby bench. He brought up the picture of Darren and decided to send out a mass text to everyone.

Meet Mr. Darren Gene Carter born on May 19 at 4:45am weight in at 8lbs 5oz and 20 inches long Rayna is doing awesome can’t wait for everyone to meet him tomorrow…and sorry for this being so early in the morning!

Nick pushed the send button. He was excited for everyone to meet him. He was almost a spinning image of him he was full of excitement to go onto this journey once more with Rayna, but he knew their hands were going to be full; Madison was starting to run all over the place and getting into trouble and Hunter is going to be starting pre-school in the fall and his new album in a few months and then a tour ahead. It was going to be one crazy year for them but after what they went through last year he knew that they were going to be able to get through anything that came their way this year.
Chapter End Notes:
Please don't forget to review! :)