- Text Size +

 

Daddies' Girls

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 10

 

Jade

I sometimes wonder if I'm doing right by Nick. I mean, I love him, I trust him, but I hold him to such a high standard. It's not fair. Why am I questioning myself? We were watching a movie last night and when Selma Hayek's shirt came off and she was on display in nothing but a pink bra and panty set, Nick's eyes bulged almost as much as his pants.

OK, yes, I got jealous of a damn actress.  Here I am looking like the good year blimp and this gorgeous Latino woman has my man's attention. After my temper tantrum, I refused to talk to him.

Now, I wake up to find a dozen roses by the bed with a jewelry box. Damn me and my fucking hormones. I pick up the phone and call Aspen. "Hey, how was the doc yesterday?"

I hear the frustration in her voice. "Not good. Reese is in a better mood though. I told her about losing my virginity. I think she's not so keen on rushing it now."

I can't help but ask. "Who got your cherry? Come on, tell."

I feel her blush over the phone. "Damn, Jade, why don't you be crude. Jimmy Slater did. And if you tell ANYONE I'll kill you!"

I feel my mouth drop open. "Jimmy? Lilly's Jimmy? How old were you Red?"

"Fourteen," she grumbles.

I'm in shock. "Wow. I mean...I always thought it was Teddy your senior year."

She laughs at me. "Oh Jade, he was gay and covering it up by dating me. Remember, after we graduated how he moved away fast? He didn't want to come out of the closet around the rest of the football team. He was afraid they would have kicked his ass."

I can't help but laugh. "What a joke. Half of them were bi. Maybe he didn't want to play with his team mates that way."

She says, "Whatever...I know you didn't call to talk about doctors and my virginity...what's up?"

That brings me back to the here and now. I finger one of the roses and say, "I'm an emotional, hormonal idiot.  I went ballistic last night cause Nick was fawning over Selma Hayek's boobs."

I hear her try to stifle her laugh. "Jade, come on, she's got a nice rack. Hell, I'm jealous of her boobs."

Now I start to giggle. When the mirth subsides, I say, "I just feel like I'm being a bitch to Nick. He brought me the most beautiful flowers and I don't know what's in the jewelry box, but I'm sure it was insanely expensive and I feel guilty."

She catches on fast. "And you want to plan something special just for you and Nick?"

I breathe in the scent of the roses. "Yeah. Can Reese come and babysit with Calleigh tonight? It's Friday. She can spend the night if you want. Maybe it will give the girls time to bond more."

She says, "Sure, but I think we'll pick her up when you're home. AJ's pretty adamant about her being grounded."

I snort. "Yeah, Nick didn't want me to ground Calleigh, but she lied to us."

When silence reigns over the phone lines once again, Aspen says, "What's wrong Twig?"

I pick up the box, turning it over in my hand. "Red, we've been married now for almost 12 years. Lilly doesn't live here now. I know he loves me. Why do I act this way?"

Here it comes. "Jade, you have got to put this thing about Nick and Lilly behind you. She never would have slept with him. She wouldn't do that to you. What happened at that party...she was drunk. And he told her no. Why are you still letting it get to you?"

I sigh. "Because deep down inside I don't feel like I'm ever going to be enough for Nick."

From our open bedroom door I hear Nick say, "Jade, that's just not true."

I turn to face him. "Red, I'm gonna go. See you around 6:30?"

My eyes stay locked on his and I barely hear her say, "Sure thing. Love you, Jade."

I'm already lowering the phone as I'm saying, "Love you too, Aspen."

Nick strides over to me. "Jade, I love you. ONLY you. You have to know that."

He puts his hands on my shoulders. "I do know that Nick. I'm sorry. I just...I feel like a beached whale."

He slides his hand down my arm to my stomach. "Baby, you are the most beautiful woman in the world. Proof of my love for you is growing right here." When he rubs the side of my stomach, Jasmine kicks. We both chuckle. "See, she knows we belong together and we always will."

I glance at the flowers. "Thank you, Nick.  They are beautiful." I hold up the box. "But why this?"

He says, "So you'll know that you and our family are the most precious part of my life."

I slowly open the lid. Nestled in the velvet lined box are four stackable rings. Three have birthstones and have our children's names and birthdates engraved on them. The fourth doesn't have a stone yet...and simply says ‘Jasmine'. I can't stop the tears. "Oh, Nick, these are beautiful."

He kisses my forehead. "I love you Jade. I never would have slept with Lilly. You have to know that."

I sigh. "I do Nick. And I'm sorry I over reacted last night during the movie."

He shrugs. "I was being an ass. I'm sorry."

I put my hand over his mouth. "No, you weren't. Nick, We've been married almost 12 years. If I don't trust you now, I never will. And I DO trust you. It's these damn hormones."

He smiles at me indulgently. "I know Baby. But I am sorry you were upset. And that you've ever felt like you weren't enough for me. I adore you Jade. Everything about you. From the top of your head down to those sexy little toes of yours." He wiggles his eyebrows. "Speaking of which, why don't I give you a nice, long foot rub?"

I feel my body tingle. We discovered a couple of years ago my sensitive feet are one of my erogenous zones.  I blush remembering the last foot rub. With my heart pounding, I say, "How about after dinner? I want to take you somewhere special."

He smirks and whispers, "Do you? What about the kids? A little late to get a sitter on Friday isn't it?"

I bite my lip knowing this may make him uncomfortable. "Umm, Reese is going to come and help Calleigh babysit."

I see the indecision in his eyes. "I won't say I'm happy about it, but...I guess we do have to show the girls a little bit of trust too."

I smile up at him, relieved. "Nick, I'm sure they'll be fine."

He kisses the tip of my nose. "OK, Mrs. Carter. You have a date."

 

Aspen shows up early with Reese and helps me with my hair. "Jade, thanks for asking Reese to do this. I think it's the first time she's been happy all week."

I chuckle. "Calleigh too. I hope their friendship is back on track. It sucks being estranged from family."

She looks at me patiently. "Why don't you call Lilly? I know you two have somewhat made up, but Jade...she's missing the kids lives. Don't you want her to be part of it?"

I nod. "I do, Red. But it's been a long time. How do I act normal around her now?"

She hugs me and says, "Go with your gut.  Just open your mouth and say what your heart feels."

I hug her back. "How did you get to be so smart?"

She floors me when she says, "I had awesome sister's who taught me family should always come first."

I squeeze her tightly. "AJ's a lucky man."

She whispers gently, "So is Nick."

 

Chapter End Notes:

Love to hear your thoughts! :)