- Text Size +

Daddies’ Girls

By Rachel

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 12

 

Calleigh

 

We are on our way to Ree’s house for the next few days. My brothers and I were staying with Uncle AJ and Aunt Aspen because my dad wants to romance my mom. I think it’s sweet how much my dad loves my mom.

 

Dad doesn’t seem to like the idea of me hanging with Reese so much. I think he’s afraid I’ll become a loose cannon like her. Ree is my best friend and cousin, there is no way we’ll stop hanging out together. She may be outspoken, wild, and impulsive, but there is a soft side to her that she doesn’t show the world. My dad has nothing to worry about. Reese’s big heart was always there to protect me.

 

We pull into the McLean’s driveway. Grayson is putting his baseball gear in the minivan. Michael and Cameron run out to see him. I start to get out but Dad stops me.

 

“Pixie, I want to talk to you before you go in.” He shuts off the car. I don’t understand why he waits until we’re in the driveway to talk.

 

“Daddy, you’re going to be late for your reservation. Mom hates being late.”

 

“This will only take a minute.” He shifts so he’s facing me. “I know Reese is your best friend. Please don’t let her sway your judgment about things. You have a good head on your shoulders. I don’t want you following in her footsteps.”

 

I didn’t agree with my dad for the first time ever. It made me sad that he thought so little of Reese. Did she really do such a bad thing? Was it wrong for her to fall in love? I wasn’t sure, since I had never been in love. Maybe Ree didn’t handle things properly, but she was only fifteen. I was conflicted, but I didn’t want to upset my dad. “Yes, daddy.”

 

“Thanks, Pixie. Go have fun, but please think things through and be responsible.” Dad said and gave me a quick kiss.

 

I grab my bag and step out of the car. Hayden runs over to me. “Hey Leigh! Mommy and Daddy are taking us to Gwayson’s game. Then we are eating dinner at my favowite pwace.”

 

“That sounds like fun.” I smile and run over to Reese who’s sitting on the porch reading a fashion magazine.

 

“Hey Leigh! What’s shakin’?” She throws the magazine on the table next to her.

 

“Nothing.” I say quickly. Reese stares at me, knowing something is on my mind. I don’t like the thoughts my dad put into my head.

 

“Liar.” She grins at me. “It’s okay. I don’t want to know.”

 

Aunt Aspen walks out the door carrying a cooler. It must be time to go to the game. I’m not really into baseball, but I’ll support my cousin. “You girls ready to go?”

 

“Mom, do we have to go? Can’t Leigh and I stay home?” Reese puts on her best pout.

 

“I don’t know. We were planning on taking everyone out to dinner after the game.” Aunt Aspen hesitates.

 

“Mom, we’re big girls. We can cook without burning the house down. Hell, maybe we’ll order Chinese or something.” Reese bats her eyes. That only works for Uncle AJ. “Please mommy.”

 

“Fine. Go ask your dad for some money. I don’t want to risk the two of you cooking.”

 

Reese springs out of her chair and runs to find her dad. She’s happy for once.

 

“Thanks Aunt Aspen.” I say shyly.

“Well, I trust you and Reese. I remember what it’s like to be your age. Jade and I always wanted our independence. We used to fight Aunt Lilly all the time. Though you mom was the one who fought for it, and I tagged along.”

 

“Wow, you and mom sound just like me and Reese.” I giggle. I guess that’s why our moms were more understanding about things than our dads. My dad always freaked out about things, and my mom was calm and collected.

 

“You, two remind me of us a lot.” She starts moving down the stairs. Reese comes from inside the house. “How much money did your dad give you?”

 

“He only had a fifty, so I took it.” She says as she flops onto a chair.

 

“Don’t spend it all. I expect change.” Uncle AJ comments as he walks through the door. “Hey Calleigh. Behave girls. I don’t want you getting in any trouble.”

 

“Yes, daddy.”

 

He grabs the cooler and the grownups are getting ready to leave for the game. We watch them pull out.

 

“Freedom at last.” Ree shouts loudly.

 

“We aren’t going to get ourselves in trouble, are we?” I question. My dad would kill me, especially after our little talk.

 

“No, but I do have an idea. Let’s order some food and I’ll tell you my plan.”

 

 

Thirty minutes later we’re sitting in the kitchen eating a ton of Chinese food. Reese is pouring us more lemonade.

 

“So what’s this big plan you have?” I take a huge bite of an egg roll.

 

“Well, you know how things suck right now between my parents.” I nod my head. “I thought we could let them have a romantic evening together on the deck.”

 

“Is that why you ordered so much extra food?” I love that Ree is trying to help her parents. She may be angry with them, but she loves them.

 

“Yes, they should be back in about two or three hours, so we have to get everything set up. Will you help me, Leigh?”

 

“Of course I will.”

 

Once we finish eating, Ree and I start decorating the deck. We place twinkle lights around the railings. Reese puts a candle on the table, along with the place settings.  I cut some flowers from the garden to make it look more romantic. She finds some romantic music on her iPod to set the mood. It’s looks beautiful.

 

“I hope this works. My parents are so unhappy. It’s all my fault. So, I had to do something.” Reese sighs. I really feel bad for her, especially when my parents are so happy.

 

We hear the minivan pull in. Reese and I rush into the living room to wait for everyone.

 

“Okay kiddos. Everyone go get their pajamas on. Then we’ll put in a movie.” AJ cajoles the little ones.

 

“How was your afternoon girls?” Aspen asks.

 

“It was fun. We have a surprise for the two of you.” Reese squeals with excitement. I see both of her parents roll their eyes.

 

“Should I be afraid to ask?”

 

“Dad.” She says theatrically. “We planned a romantic night for you and mom on the back deck. Leigh and I will take care of the kids. We’ve set up a sleepover for them in the family room.”

 

“Wow, Reese! That was a sweet thing for you to do.”  Aspen gives her a hug.

 

“Go enjoy!”

 

Taking care of our siblings is a piece of cake. They were asleep halfway through the movie. My mind was a million miles away.

 

“Earth to Leigh. What’s up your ass tonight?”

 

“Really Ree? Why must you always be so audacious?” I feel somewhat irritated. I think it’s because I’m tired.

 

“Really Leigh?” She mocks me. “Do you always have to use such big words? You always have to be perfect Calleigh. Can’t you just let yourself go once in a while?”

 

“I hate the fact that you think I’m perfect. I’m not a loose cannon like you are. I think about things before I act.” Once I realize what I say, my heart deflates. Reese looks ready to burst into tears. What kind of friend was I?

 

“How dare you? I’m sure your dad is feeding you a line of bull about me. I see the way he looks at me. Go ahead and believe him.” She runs out of the room.

 

Why am I so stupid? I make my way toward the kitchen. I’m about to enter when I hear Reese talking to her dad.

 

“Everything okay, sweetheart?” He asks softly.

 

“I’m fine.” She sniffles. “Just tired and want some alone time.”

 

“Reese, I’m sure Calleigh will understand. Just tell her the truth. She’s your cousin and best friend. She loves you.”

 

I feel like crap listening to their conversation. I don’t think I’m as good a friend as I should be. I run back to the family room and fall to the couch. If Reese comes in, I’ll pretend I’m asleep. I can’t deal with things right now.