- Text Size +

Daddies’ Girls

By Rachel

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 13

 

Aspen

 

I am sitting on the deck waiting for AJ to return from the kitchen. AJ and I spent the evening together since Reese planned a romantic evening for us. It was more awkward than romantic. I love my husband dearly, but something was lacking in our marriage. I wasn’t able to pinpoint the cause. I don’t think it was Reese or the lack of sex in our marriage. Whatever the problem was; it put a wedge between us. AJ was clueless as to whatever was wrong. I love him dearly, but I didn’t think he was trying to figure out how to fix things. I couldn’t do it on my own.

 

“What took you so long?” I ask as he sits down.

 

“I was talking to Reese.”

 

“Is everything okay?” I question, figuring it’s not by the way my husband is acting.

 

“She seemed sad. Almost ready to cry.”  

 

“Did you ask her what was wrong?” I immediately start to worry about Reese. She has been so emotional this week. Normally when things get her down, she never lets it show.

 

AJ sighs. “Of course I did. She said she was fine and wanted to be alone.” He stops to take a breath. “I do know what I’m doing when it comes to Reese. Stop treating me like I’m one of your children.”

 

“I’m not treating you like a child. I feel like you’re out of touch when it comes to Reese. Everything is fine and dandy as long as you are having fun with her. When it comes to teenage drama you can’t deal with it.” I say pointedly.

 

“That’s a fucking lie and you know it.” He stands up and walks over to railing, leaning against it.

 

“It is not. Reese looks up to you. She’s been yours since the day she met you. I think it’s pathetic that you can’t talk about sex with your daughter. Reese needs to hear about it from you, too.”  I open the sliding glass door and go inside.

 

AJ follows and watches as I start making a peanut butter and banana sandwich.  Even though I ate two dinners, I was still hungry.

 

“It sounds to me like you’re jealous.” He barks.

 

“I am jealous.” I slam the knife down on the counter. “You’ve always been the cool parent. I’m the bad guy. I’m always stuck disciplining Reese. No wonder she loves you more than me.”

 

Reese chooses that moment to walk into the kitchen. “Would both of you shut up? You’re going to wake everyone up.” She says quietly, grabbing a water from the fridge.

 

“Sorry.” We both mumble.

 

“I’m sorry I’m causing so much trouble. I didn’t think this would ruin your marriage.” She looks down at the floor.

 

It’s killing me knowing that Reese thinks she is at fault for our marriage problems. AJ is by her side in an instant. He’s whispering in her ear as she tries to pull away.

 

“Leave me alone, Dad.” She runs from the room.

 

“What was the big secret?” I ask, throwing my uneaten sandwich in the garbage.

 

“If I wanted you to know, I would have yelled it for the neighbors to hear.” AJ raises his voice loudly. I stare at him for a moment, not believing he would yell at me.

 

“Go to hell.” I start to leave.

 

“I’m living in it with you.” AJ screams as I rush out.

 

As I start walking up the stairs, I realize how tired I am. It’s probably from the stress of the week. I just want to crawl into bed. I check on the kids. They are sound asleep. When I get to Reese’s room, I can hear her crying. I knock on the door, but she doesn’t answer. Turning the knob, it’s unlocked. I slowly creep into her room.

 

“Reese, please don’t cry. It hurts me to see you upset.” I say as I sit down on the bed.

 

“Just leave me alone.” She bawls. “Everything is my fault. You hate Dad. He’s mad at you. I should have never come back when I ran away.”

 

My heart is breaking for my daughter. I knew the teen years were hard, but I never imagined this. I’m so busy consoling Reese, that I don’t notice AJ enter the room.

 

“Reese, please don’t say that. I love you. Your dad loves you. Everyone loves you.  It would break my heart if you ran away for good.” I rub her back. “Things between your Dad and I are rough. It isn’t because of you.”

 

 She sits up. “But every argument is about me.”

 

“I love your dad with all my heart. Things are complicated right now. On the surface our fights may be about you, but it goes deeper than that.”

 

“I planned a romantic night thinking it would make things better. I’m so stupid.” She takes a pillow and throws it across the room. “I screw up everything. I’m such a fucking loser.”

 

“Reese, that is not true. I appreciate how thoughtful you were to plan something special for me and your dad. It was nice. I enjoyed spending time talking with your dad. Despite what you think, we do love each other a lot. That doesn’t mean we always get along.”

 

“All you do is fight or ignore each other. Are you going to get a divorce?” She sniffles and wipes her nose on her shirt.

 

“Of course not, Reese. Your mom means the world to me. I love her. Just because we aren’t getting along at the moment doesn’t mean we don’t love each other.” AJ moves onto the bed with us. He reiterates the same point to Reese.

 

I’m glad to know that my husband thinks our marriage is worth saving. I love him so much, even if I don’t know what the hell is wrong with us at the moment. Divorce is not something I’ve even thought about.

 

“Relationships aren’t easy, Reese’s Pieces. This is why mom, Uncle Nick, Aunt Jade, and I don’t want you or Calleigh in a relationship when you are this young. We’re adults and we get things wrong all the time. It’s not easy to deal with things.”

 

Reese wraps her arms around AJ and cries. I see him start to break down, too. He looks at me and motions me over. We are all in one big hug, crying. It’s a cleansing process of sorts.

 

“Mom. Dad.” Reese breaks away from us. “You don’t have to worry about Jake anymore.” 

 

I can tell that she is sad. I am curious about Jake. Reese starts to compose herself.

 

“Why is that?” AJ asks.

 

“I found out…last night that…that…he…he…has…a…new…girlfriend. He posted pictures of her on Facebook.” Her blue eyes start clouding over again. “I thought he…loved…me. I’m sooo stupid.”

 

“Oh, baby girl. You aren’t stupid. You were in love.” I feel for for her. I’ve been there before and it never gets any easier.

 

“I was a fool. I let him sweet talk me into believing he was the one.” She bawls, throwing a pillow over her head.

 

AJ and I give her a few minutes to cry it out. Both of us are feeling helpless. This is the one time we can’t do anything to make it better. Only time heals a broken heart. I get up and leave the room. AJ looks at me like I’m nuts.

 

When I return a few minutes later, AJ is talking to Reese. My heart melts at their conversation.

 

“Reese, Jake is a jackass. You deserve better. You are the prettiest, smartest, most talented young lady I know.” She looks up at her dad and gives him a half smile. “You are going to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince. Take it slow. Make sure he’s your best friend. The boy of your dreams is the one guy you can’t live without. You’ll know when it’s the right one. That’s how I felt with your mom.”

 

“Oh Daddy. What you and mom have is special. I don’t know if I’ll ever find that.”

 

“You will, Reese’s Pieces. I promise. And when it comes to sex, you’ll know when it’s the right guy. It won’t be about pure animal lust. It’s going to be about showing how much you love one another.  The feeling is different from anything you will ever experience.” Reese blushes and so does AJ. I find it sweet.

 

“But what if I make the wrong choice? How do I know the difference? You know guys say things to make you want to get into bed with them.”  Reese plays with the hem of her shirt.

 

“Reese that is the hard part knowing which guy is worth giving yourself to. You can only give it up once. I can tell you; the guy who is willing to wait until you’re ready is the one that is worth it. Any guy that can wait a week, a month, or even a year and not pressure you is a knight in shining armor.”

 

“Hey, I brought some chocolate ice cream. It always helps a broken heart.” I try to lighten the mood.

 

“Wow, look your mom is letting us eat out of the container.” AJ teases me. “Do we get to double dip?”

 

“Desperate times seek desperate measures.” I comment with a roll of my eyes. So, I’m a somewhat of a control freak at times.

 

We all sit on Reese’s bed eating ice cream. The mood seems a little lighter. Reese is smiling as AJ makes funny faces at us.

 

“Mom and Dad, can I ask you something?” She asks hesitantly.

 

“You know you can ask us anything.”

 

She stares at her zebra print comforter. “Am I as bad as Uncle Nick says?”

 

AJ is seething from Reese’s question. I put my hand on his reminding him to stay calm. It hurts me that she is worried about this, but it also shows me that she care about her character.

 

“What’s got you thinking that, sweetheart?” I ask curiously.

 

“Just a comment Calleigh made about me being a loose cannon. I know she got that from her dad.”  Reese admits. I know she is hurt by Calleigh comment.

 

“No, sweetheart. You are not a bad person. You’ve made some less than great choices. Being fifteen, it’s going to happen a lot.” I hope that I can get through to her.

 

“But the way Uncle Nick looks at me; it’s like he doesn’t want Leigh around me.” She drops her head.

 

“Nick can be an ass sometimes, well a lot of times.” AJ remarks making Reese laugh.

 

“ALEXANDER!” I screech, causing her to laugh more. “Reese, you got to understand, Nick is scared. Calleigh is growing up, too. Soon, she’ll be dating. Uncle Nick doesn’t want to think of his Pixie having sex.”

 

“I get it. Calleigh is pretty perfect, unlike me who is a little crazy at times. Leigh thinks things through, whereas I’m impulsive.” She reflected.

“Calleigh Carter is far from being perfect. She’s made plenty of mistakes. She will make a million more. I wouldn’t trade you for a million Calleigh’s.” AJ hugs his daughter and kisses the top of her head.

 

“There’s nothing wrong with being you. You are everything I hoped for and more. I’m proud that you are my daughter.” I pull her close to me and press a kiss to her cheek. I think she was starting to mature into a young woman. It was hard seeing my little girl grow up.