- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry I'm late.  Bad night at work.  :(

 

Daddies' Girls

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 14

 

Jade

 

            My weekend with Nick couldn't have been better.  The weeks that followed were much calmer.  The girls were getting their friendship back on track. I saw one problem cropping up.  My husband.  He keeps putting Reese down and Calleigh hates it.  To be honest, I'm not happy about it either.  I get that he's concerned, but ripping her to shreds is not going to stop Calleigh from making the same mistakes Reese did when she finally falls in love.

            AJ and Aspen finally agree to let Reese spend a weekend with Calleigh at our house.  We plan on a pool party Friday night, followed by a trip to Disneyland Saturday.  Sunday, we're heading to the coast to my favorite seafood restaurant so Nick can meet a man about buying a boat.

            A fun weekend right?  Think again!  Reese shows up on my doorstep at 4:30 Friday afternoon crying hysterically.  Michael and Cameron just got home and they both look scared. I send them to their room to play, telling them as soon as Daddy gets home, he'll come and play with them.

            I take Reese to Calleigh's room.  She had to stay after school for a tutoring session. I love that Calleigh mentors kids from the elementary school. It's teaching her responsibilities she can't get anywhere else.

            Once I get Reese's breathing under control and her tears to stop, I take her hand and say, "OK, Reese, what's wrong?"  I see the hysterics bubbling up again and I whisper, "Shh, just tell me. It's gonna be ok."

            She sighs, sucking in a deep breath. "Dr. Ballone called me. Aunt Jade, it's wrong! It can't be true, it just can't!"

            OK, now I'm starting to freak out. Does she have a disease? Did she catch something from Jake? Pulling my scatter thoughts together, I say, "What? What did she say, Reese?"

            "She said I'm pregnant!" she wails. "Aunt Jade, I swear to God I never had sex with Jake. EVER!  I can't be pregnant! It's wrong!"

            I grab her hand. "Reese, you need to calm down. First of all, do your Mom and Dad know?"

            She practically screeches, "NO! I can't tell them. They JUST stopped fighting. Aunt Jade, I promise you I didn't sleep with him. This is wrong. Something is wrong!"

            I pull her into a hug.  "Shh, calm down." I rub her hair and wait for the sobs to subside once more. "OK, Reese, I believe you. It very well COULD be a mistake. But you can't just hide it. You have to tell your Mom and Dad.  Maybe they can have the test re-done. Something. You can't keep it a secret."

            She sniffles. "I know. I just...Aunt Jade, I don't want them to break up. They just stopped fighting. Why do I always mess things up?"

            I chuckle. "Reese, you don't. Adults argue. But your Mom and Dad love each other. They will be ok. I promise."

            She sighs. "But they aren't like you and Uncle Nick. You guys don't fight."

            I can't stop myself. I laugh. She looks at me strangely. I get myself under control and say, "Reese, Nick and I fight like you wouldn't believe. We just hide it well from the kids. Your Mom and Dad fight as passionately as they love. They both have hair triggers on their tempers.  Trust me, they aren't breaking up."

            Calleigh comes flying in the door. "Hey, Michael said something was going on. He was tripping." She takes in Reese's tear-stained face and says, "What? What's wrong?"

            Before Reese can say anything, I say, "Nothing. Reese was just having an emotional moment. She's fine now.  Lord help me when Michael learns about PMS in school, every problem in the world will be blamed on it."

            Both girls laugh. Reese says, "I'm fine, Leigh. I just needed to talk. I'll tell you later."

            I kiss them both on the forehead. "I'm going to start dinner. AJ and Aspen will be here soon. WITH a surprise."

            Both girls look at me eagerly. "Surprise? What surprise?"

            I just laugh. "I don't know. Apparently it's a surprise for me too."  Before I leave, I turn to Reese and say, "Want me to talk to your parents?"

            She shakes her head. "No, I'll talk to them after dinner. Thanks Aunt Jade."

            I shrug. "Anytime Sweetie. You two have fun, I'll send Dad to get you when the party starts." As I'm closing the door, I hear Reese say, "Leigh, you're NEVER gonna believe this shit..." I smile.  The girls are friends again. And I do trust Reese. Now to keep AJ and Aspen calm while she tells them about the test results.

 

            Nick has just lit the grill and the doorbell rings. I kiss his cheek before I go to welcome AJ and Aspen. Imagine my shock when I open the door and standing their right beside them is Lilly and Brian. Before I can blink, Lilly steps forward and grabs me. "TWIG!"

            I hug her tightly. "Lilly? What? When? Why are you here?"

            She laughs. "Surprised you, huh?"

            I nod, tears clogging my throat. Adam steps forward. "Hello, Aunt Jade. I'm Adam."

            I smile at him. "I know you are. You look just like your Dad. How are you Adam?"

            He says, "I'm ok. Is this...can I swim?"

            We all laugh. "Sure, come on, let's go find Uncle Nick."

As everyone enters the house, they hug me. Aspen whispers, "Please, tell me this is ok?"

I just nod. "Of course. I love her, Red. And I trust her and Nick both."

 

After dinner, I lounge by the pool watching the kids in the water.  Adam fits right in with the kids, even though he seems painfully shy at times.  Nick, Brian and AJ go to the studio to talk about a new album and I sit with the girls. Lilly looks at me and says, "Jade, I swear, I have never seen a more beautiful pregnant woman. You're glowing."

I rub my stomach gently. "Thanks, but more often than not, I'm miserable. I think I'm about too old to be having babies."

Instantly concerned, Aspen says, "What's wrong? You're having problems?"

Seeing them both looking so worried, I bite my lip, regretting my slip.  "Nothing's wrong really. I just get tired easily. My blood sugar has been wacky so I see the doctor twice a month. I'm fine, really."

Lilly searches my face. "Twig, is Jasmine ok?"

I smile gently. "She's perfect. Growing as she should be.  I swear, I'm ok. Just realizing that this is going to be my last baby. Nick's already scheduled a vasectomy."

Shock lights both their faces. Finally, Aspen says, "Well...honestly, I'm not surprised. He wasn't too sure about you having another baby, was he?"

I shake my head. "No, he was scared to death. But I know how he wanted a big family and I really felt there was enough love for one more baby. I'm so excited."

Lilly squeezes my hand. "I'm happy for you, Jade. Really. When I found out I couldn't have more kids, I thought I'd be devastated.  But...Adam was perfect. I'm not sure I was cut out for a brood like you two."

I sigh. "I just wish...this summer is going to be rough on Calleigh."

Aspen is concerned. "Why?"

I look at the girls in the water. "I'll probably be on bed rest at some point. Nick will be in full time Daddy mode with the boys and their activities. She's gonna be left to her on devices. I was hoping we could spend time together doing mother-daughter stuff."

Lilly bites her nails momentarily. Finally, she says, "Twig...why don't you let Calleigh spend the summer with Brian and me?  I mean...I'm not her mom...but I don't...I want to be part of her life. Part of all the kids lives. I haven't been a very good aunt." She looks at Aspen. "I'd like Reese to come too. I've missed so much. I'd like to know them, if you...if you'll both let me."

I think about Reese's problems. Aspen and AJ are going to flip. But I watch Lilly and I know she means it. I smile. "I think that sounds like a great idea Lilly Blue.  Who knows, maybe a vacation is just what the girls need."

She smiles brightly. "It won't be boring. We plan on spending a lot of time in Florida. They'll have the beach right out the back door."

Aspen laughs. "I think that sounds wonderful Lilly. And after the last few weeks, maybe some time away is just what Reese needs."

I sigh, knowing it's time.  I slowly push myself up and say, "Red, before we go making all these plans, I think I need to talk to you, AJ and Reese." I look at Lilly and say, "It's...Reese shared a problem with me. I think I should help her right now. Please...don't think..."

She smiles and stands up to hug me. "Don't. It's ok. I'll watch the kids. Go."

            I send Aspen and AJ into the den and call Reese out of the pool. When she gets to me, I whisper, "We need to talk to your Mom and Dad now. OK?"

            She nods shyly. "I'm scared."

            I hug her. "Don't be. We'll figure it out."

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Love to hear your thoughts! :)