- Text Size +

 

Daddies' Girls

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 15

 

Reese

 

            Once Aunt Jade takes me to the den with Mom and Dad, I just sit, frozen.  Dad looks bored and Mom...she looks so tired.  I bite my lip and try to hide behind Aunt Jade, but it doesn't work.  "Red, AJ, we have a problem we need to discuss." She stares at my Dad. "And if you start yelling, I will have Nick throw you out. Understand?"

 

            He looks up shocked. "What? Why would I yell?"

 

            She squeezes my hand and says, "I mean it AJ. You keep your temper or you're out of here."

 

            He nods. Mom looks at me. "What's wrong, Reese?"

 

            I shake, hanging on to Aunt Jade for dear life. "Mom...I swear...Jake and I never....well, we never. You believe me, right?"

 

            I see Dad's face turning red. I ignore him and focus on Mom. She nods. "I know Reese. And I do believe you. The doctor confirmed...well, that your hymen was still intact."

 

            I blush deeply as Dad stands up. "Do we HAVE to talk about this?"

 

            Aunt Jade stays calm. "Sit, AJ! I meant what I said. I will not have you yelling and making a scene around the other kids."

 

            He sits again and says, "So? This is good right?"

 

            Aunt Jade whispers, "Go ahead."

 

            I open my mouth, but nothing comes out. I shake my head hard and start to cry. Aunt Jade puts her arm around me and says, "The doctor called Reese today. They said the blood work came back and indicated she's pregnant."

 

            It was so quiet in the study. Dad looks ready to vomit and Mom? She's pale as a ghost.  I get on my knees in front of her and grab her hands. "Mom, I swear, we didn't have sex. I swear! This has to be wrong! Mom? MOM?"

 

            She's frozen. Dad scoots closer to her. "Aspen? Aspen, honey, you have to breathe. Come on, Baby, breathe."

 

            Aunt Jade touches my back. "Reese, go grab a bottle of water."

 

            When I get back, Mom has her head between her knees. Dad pulls me closer to him and he says, "Reese...are you ok?"

 

            I shiver. "No, Dad, I'm not. It's wrong, it has to be wrong."

 

            He pulls me down beside him and hugs me. "OK, Reese, we'll figure it out. I...believe you. I really do."

 

            I hug his neck tightly. "Daddy."

 

            Mom sits up. "Reese...I believe you too. I'm just...I think I know what happened."

 

            I kneel in front of her. "What? What happened Mom?"

 

            She sighs deeply and closes her eyes. When I see tears seeping through her lashes, I get scared. Mom looks so tired. She whispers, "Me. It's my blood test."

 

            Now I'm confused. Aunt Jade gasps and Dad? He looks sick. "What do you mean, Mom?"

 

            She opens her eyes and cups my face in her hands. "It was my blood test not yours. I'm pregnant Reese."

 

            Dad just sits there. Aunt Jade gasps. Me? I open my big mouth and say, "What the hell Mom?"

 

            Aunt Jade whispers, "Reese...stop it." She turns to Mom. "Aspen, are you sure? I mean..."

 

            Dad jumps up. "Aspen? I thought...fuck you said you didn't want any more kids. We decided not to. I have a tour planned for the winter...geesh!"

 

            I jump up and yell, "Stop it Dad! I don't really think she planned this!"

 

            He glares at me. "Well, I sure as hell didn't plan it!"

 

            My dad's attitude really irks me. Can't he see how upset Mom is? What the fuck is his problem. Before I get into more trouble, Aunt Jade says, "AJ if you can't control yourself, get the hell out of my house. I will NOT have you upset my sister by being a dickhead."

 

            I want to cheer for Aunt Jade. Why does Dad always have to be an ass? As he storms out of the room, I sit by Mom and whisper, "Mom, are you ok?"

 

            She just nods at me. "Don't be mad at your dad, Reese. And Jade, please...don't antagonize him anymore. This is...a shock. We had decided not to have any more kids."

 

            Aunt Jade says, "Yeah, I know. I remember you telling me about the fights last year. But geesh, he's the one that wanted more kids. Don't you think this would make him HAPPY?"

 

            I'm shocked. I know my mouth drops open. Dad wanted more kids but Mom didn't? Mom looks at me and she says, "Reese, don't get the wrong idea. I'm not against having a baby...but your dad and I were fighting so much. He thought a baby would fix things. I thought it would make them worse."

 

            I take her hand and say, "Mom why do you fight? Is it me? Really?"

 

            She hugs me. "No, Baby, it's not you. I think Dad and I are...in a rut. We forgot what it was like when we first got married. We both want to get it back, but we don't know how."

 

            Aunt Jade says, "Maybe Lilly's suggestion is the ticket."

 

            "Aunt Lilly?" I ask.

 

            Aunt Jade says, "Lilly wants you and Calleigh to spend the summer with her and Uncle Brian.  Maybe Denise can keep Grayson and Hayden and Mom and Dad can spend the summer focusing on each other."

 

            I look at Mom. "This is ok?"

 

            Mom shrugs. "I haven't talked to Dad yet, but if you want to go, I think it would be ok. Aunt Lilly misses you terribly."

 

            I'm nervous. I haven't known Aunt Lilly really well...and now that I've seen her porn movie...well, I don't know how I'll act. "Is Calleigh going?"

 

            Aunt Jade says, "I think she will. This will be a long boring summer for her here. Dad will be taking care of the boys and I can't do anything. Aunt Lilly did mention a trip to Florida and a beach out the back door. Sound like fun?"

            I smile. "I LOVE the beach." I look at Mom. "Will you be ok? I mean..."

 

            She smiles. "I love your Dad, Reese. I'll always love him. Maybe we do need time alone. Time to find what we had."

 

            I can't help it. I hug her tightly and whisper, "Mom, I love you."

 

            I feel her shake. "I love you too Baby."

 

Chapter End Notes:

Love to know what you think!!! :)