- Text Size +

Daddies’ Girls

By Rachel

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 1

 

Aspen

 

“I’m still mad at you.” I continued peeling carrots as my husband walked in the kitchen.

“I love you, too Aspen.” He kissed my cheek.

“Who in their right mind would let a fifteen year old get a tattoo?” I pointed my knife at him. AJ quickly backed away from me.

“It’s just a small one.” He said calmly.

I chose to ignore him because I really didn’t want to start a fight. Lately, we had been having a difference of opinion when it came to our eldest child. Reese was AJ through and through.

“Daddy!” Reese shrieked as she ran over to him.  He pulled her into his arms and gave her a hug.

“How was school today?”

“Boring as usual.” She rolled her eyes. “Who cares about quadratic equations or Caesar?”

“Reese school’s important. You’ll need those straight A’s to get into a good college.” I reminded her. She was currently ranked number one in her class.

“Sure, mom.”

I saw her and AJ both laugh. It was like having two children in the room. I loved the bond that they shared, even if I was jealous at times.

“Can you get your brother and sister for dinner?” I placed the carrots in the salad bowl.

After Reese left, AJ walked over to me. He started massaging my shoulders. “Mmm….that’s feel…mmm….good.” I moaned lowly. I love having my husband’s hands on me. It had been a few weeks since we made love.

“Mommy, what’s for dinner?” Grayson asked as he found a seat at the table.

“Liver and onions.” AJ cackled as his only son pouted.

“Dad that isn’t funny.” Grayson whined. He was spending way too much time at the Carter house. He was sounding like his uncle Nick.

“Your dad is being a buffoon. Ignore his childishness.” I sighed as I placed dinner on the table.

“What’s a buttoon?” Hayden questioned as AJ put her in her booster seat.

“A big ole’ jerk.” Reese laughed. “I’m going to pass on dinner. Calleigh, Shayla, and Jake are coming for band practice.”

I looked my daughter; she was wearing skin tight jeans with a dark pink halter tank top that exposed her belly button ring and a pair of Converse sneakers. He long dark locks were straightened and her bangs were highlighted with pink and purple streaks. She looked twenty instead of fifteen. My baby was growing up before my very eyes. I wasn’t sure I liked it.

“You, know you’re not supposed to have practice on school nights.” I commented as I sat down at the table.

“Come on, Aspen. Lighten up. Reese is a straight A student taking advance courses.  I don’t think band practice during the week is going to ruin that.” AJ stared at me. This was always a battle between me and AJ.

We had never seen eye to eye, when it came to our daughter. AJ was all for her becoming a superstar like him. Granted, she was a beautiful singer and was amazing at playing guitar. I wanted to make sure she had an education to fall back on if the music career wasn’t successful.

“Hi everyone!” Calleigh ran into the kitchen. She was always full of energy. Her long blonde curly hair bounced as she went around giving everyone hugs.

“How’s you mom and dad? Would you like some dinner?” I asked my niece.

“Mom is mom. She’s busy writing and getting the baby’s room ready. Dad is annoying her, but I find it sweet. I hope to find a guy that dotes on me like that.”  Calleigh adored anything her dad did. She thought he walked on water. If she only knew the truth, lol. Nick was a good man, but he had his moments.

“Let’s go, Calleigh.” Reese started to pull her cousin out of the room. “We need to practice that new song you wrote.”

The girls looked at each other and ran towards the studio.

Dinner was over quickly. Grayson was at baseball practice, and Hayden was playing with the pups in the living room. I finished washing the dishes when AJ walked in.

“Nick wanted to know if we would watch the kids this weekend.”

“Sure.” I grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge. “What does he have planned?”

“He wants to spend a romantic weekend with Jade. She’s pissed at him.”

“What’s new with that?” I laughed.

“You Grey sisters are always pissed at your husbands.” AJ laughed and pulled me into his arms.

“Well, if the three of you weren’t such dipshits, we Grey sisters wouldn’t always be annoyed.”

AJ’s placed his mouth on mine. I knew he wanted to shut me up. We stood in the kitchen making out like teenagers. We were both lost in each other. All I wanted to do was make love to my husband. It had been too long.

“Aww. You two are soooo cute together.” Calleigh beamed at us from the doorway.

“My parents never kiss each other like that.” Shayla commented. “I don’t think they like each other.”

My face was turning red. Reese wouldn’t like that we were making out for her friends to see. She hated when we embarrassed her.

“So, what’s up girls?” AJ asked.

“Oh, we..umm…needed….” Calleigh was flustered. I knew she was lying about something.

“Water.” Shayla finished.

Something was up, and I didn’t like it. Maybe it was the fact that Reese was alone with Jake. He was the older, hot, drummer of the band. I didn’t trust him alone with my daughter. He was always looking at her like he was undressing her. She ate it up and was always making eyes at him.

“Excuse me, AJ and I will be back in a minute.” I dragged AJ out by his t-shirt.

We walked into the studio and saw our daughter making out with Jake. His hands were underneath her shirt, and Reese’s hands were on his ass. I couldn’t believe my daughter. I was furious.

I looked at AJ. Smoke was coming out of his ears. This was the first time he was pissed at his daughter. Both of us stood there watching the train wreck before us. Neither of us knew what to do. AJ cleared his throat, but they continue kissing. Jake pulled Reese closer to him and his hand moved toward the button of her jeans.

“Reese Elizabeth McLean.” I called out loudly. She backed away from Jake but didn’t leave him as he wrapped his arms around her waist.

From behind us, Calleigh spoke. “Reese, I’m sorry.” I could hear the fear and regret in her voice.

“Whatever, Calleigh.” She seethed. “I asked you to do one little thing for me. Thanks a lot.”

Tears started falling down Calleigh’s face. Reese had never yelled at her cousin and best friend before. Things were not going to turn out well. My daughter had a lot of explaining to do.

“Shayla, you need to leave. Calleigh, I’ll call your mom to pick you up. Go upstairs and wipe your face off. I’ll be up in a minute.”

Both girls ran upstairs as quickly as possible. I grabbed my phone as AJ started laying into Reese and Jake. It was going to be a long night.