- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Ready for some teenage attitude???

 

Daddies' Girls

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 19

 

Reese

 

                Coming to Georgia scared the crap out of me. We've only been here a week and I'm ready to stay forever.  Aunt Lilly and Uncle Brian are so cool.  We don't have a bedtime; we can eat whatever we want, whenever we want...it's a blast! If only Calleigh wasn't being such an idiot.  She's missing her mommy and daddy.  Me?  I miss them, sure, but it's nice not listening to the bickering and fighting and not being told I'm grounded every two seconds.

            Right now, I'm laying out in Aunt Lilly's back yard soaking up some rays. It feels so good.  I hear to door open and turn my head to the side to see Calleigh coming out in her ultra-prudish, one piece bathing suit. "Ree, why do you wear such skimpy suits? I bet your dad would have a fit if he saw it."

            I sit up. "Leigh, I'm fifteen years old. I personally think I have a killer bod, so why the fuck can't I show it off?"

            She rolls her eyes and flops down on the chair beside me.  "You don't have to be so crude, Ree. I swear, it's no wonder everyone thinks you're..."

            When she hesitates, I snap, "Thinks what? I'm the ‘bad' one? I'm trouble? I know that's what your dad says."

            She sighs. "Ree, I'm sorry. I'm just...I should have stayed home. Mom might need me."

            I sigh, turning onto my stomach and untying the back of my top. I hate tan lines. "Leigh, stop being such a baby. Your Mom is fine. You know your dad is waiting on her hand and foot."

            She sighs. "Ree, aren't you at all worried about your Mom? I mean, I know she's younger than my mom, but she didn't want to have another baby."

            I close my eyes. "Of course I'm worried. Especially since she's fighting with Daddy twenty-four seven."

            When she doesn't say anything, I open my eyes. She's crying. I sit up, holding my top over my breasts. "What's wrong Leigh?"

            She sniffles. "Why can't things be like it was when we were little? Everyone was happy and all we had to worry about was having to eat lima beans."

            I'm getting really pissed off at her spoiling my mood. But I understand what she's saying. "Leigh, let's just forget about it and have fun. If something happens, they will call us. Remember, the whole reason they agreed to let us come is so my mom and dad can try to work things out and your mom can get ready for Jazz.  OK? Don't be so sad."

            From the side gate, Aunt Lilly says, "She's right, Leigh. Your parents are all just fine." She stares pointedly at me. "Tie your top, Reese. No nude sunbathing. We DO have paparazzi in Georgia. Last thing I need is your mom going ballistic on me cause the Enquirer got a shot."

            I roll my eyes. "Come on, Aunt Lilly! I fucking HATE tan lines!"

            She walks over to us and says, "OK, time to set some ground rules. First, you stop cussing like a sailor. Contrary to YOUR opinion you aren't an adult. And if you were, you'd realize that kind of language is usually only appropriate when you're angry. So it stops now. Got it?"

            Leigh and I both look at her shocked. Leigh says, "Aunt Lilly, is everything ok?"

            She nods. "Fine. I just realized by listening to you that Brian is right. Your parents let you get away with stuff for too long and now you think it's ok.  Especially you, Reese. Your Daddy spoiled you rotten when you were little and you think all you gotta do is pout and get your way."

            My mouth drops. "Why are you being so mean?"

            She sighs and sits beside Leigh. "I'm not being mean, Reese. I'm being honest. There's a difference. I made some rotten choices in my life. Rotten, despicable choices that almost cost me my husband and my sisters. All because I thought I could have everything I wanted. I don't want that to happen to you."

            Without thinking I blurt out, "So, making porn was a rotten, despicable choice?"

            I thought she'd faint.  Calleigh gasps, "REESE!"

            I watch Aunt Lilly's lip tremble and she whispers, "How did...What?"

            I lower my eyes. "I'm sorry Aunt Lilly. That was a rotten thing to say."

            She stands up and leaves. Calleigh turns to me and whispers, "How can you be so mean? Who are you? What did you do with my best friend?"

            She gets up and runs into the house. What did I do that for? Why did I get so mad?  I sit and stew about it until it dawns on me. She's right. I think I should get everything I want handed to me because my dad is AJ McLean. I curl up on the lounger and cry. How could I have been so stupid?

 

            When I finally go inside, Calleigh is watching TV with Adam. "Where's Aunt Lilly?" I whisper.

            Adam looks up. "In her room. She's really upset about something. Best thing to do is leave her alone."

            From behind me, Uncle Brian says, "Leave who alone?"

            Adam says, "Mom. She's upset. She was crying."

            Brian looks at Calleigh and then me and says, "What's going on?"

            Calleigh turns back to the TV. "Reese was being a brat. She should apologize."

            I sniffle, causing her to look at me sharply. "You're right Leigh. I owe everyone an apology, starting with Aunt Lilly. Will you...go with me?"

            Uncle Brian says, "Maybe I should..."

            Calleigh stands. "No, Uncle Brian. She's upset because of Reese and me. We'll talk to her."

            As we walk upstairs, I whisper, "I really am sorry, Calleigh. You were right. I am being a brat. And your dad is right. I am trouble."

            She stops me in the hallway and hugs me. "No, you're not Reese. Daddy even said it. You're just...we both are spoiled. I'm just so shy, I don't stand up for myself. You do. I envy you.  I wish I was stronger."

            I can't stop the snort. "Strong enough to hurt someone's feelings the way I did yours? And Aunt Lilly's? And my Mom's? Leigh, how can I make it right?"

            She sighs. "We both have to grow up. Come on."

 

            When we get to Aunt Lilly's room, Calleigh knocks. "Aunt Lilly, can we please come in?"

            I hear a muffled, "Go away."

            I step closer to the door. "Please Aunt Lilly? Please?"

            The door opens a tiny bit and she says, "Go away. I'll have Brian book your flights home."

            I push the door open and say, "We don't want to go Aunt Lilly. Please...please let me say I'm sorry."

            She stares at me. Mascara is smeared on her face and her eyes are puffy from crying. "Why Reese? There's nothing else to say?"

            Calleigh closes the door and says, "There's lots to say, Aunt Lilly. Please."

            She sits and I sit beside her. "I really am sorry. Aunt Lilly I love you and I never should have said such mean things to you. I was just...I'm causing everyone so many problems. I wish I had never been born!"

            I hear Calleigh crying, but I can't stop looking at Aunt Lilly. "Don't you EVER say that Reese! EVER! From the day you were born, you've been a blessing. Every day! You aren't causing problems.  I guess...well, I can't change my past. I was just hoping I could keep it hidden from you. How did you...?"

            I shrug.  "I found it at Jake's. No one knows...I mean, we didn't tell Mom or anyone. Just me and Calleigh know."

            Calleigh steps closer and sits on the floor by the bed. "Aunt Lilly, why did you...I mean, were you forced?"

            She sighs. "Well, I guess if you girls are willing to listen...and pay attention...maybe my bad choices can help you."

            I can't stop myself. I lean over and hug her. "Aunt Lilly, I do love you. And I am truly sorry I was such a brat. Please...don't send me home."

            She hugs me back and whispers, "I love you too Reese. I love you both. I'd love for you to stay...if you really want to."

 

Chapter End Notes:

Let us know!! :)