- Text Size +

Daddies’ Girls

By Rachel

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 20

 

Calleigh

 

The past two weeks since the big blow-out with Aunt Lilly, things have gotten better. I’ve seen a change in Reese. She’s not as wild and crazy. Her hair and makeup have even been toned down. I think Aunt Lilly’s story had a lot to do with that.

 

From the beginning I was shocked that Aunt Lilly did porn. She always seemed so straight laced when she would visit. She and Brian seemed strict, but loving with Adam. He was always the best behaved out of all us kids. The porn video threw me for a loop. If Aunt Lilly had a secret; it just meant that my parents had secrets, too.

 

I don’t like that fact that Aunt Lilly did porn, but I understand her reason. In my opinion I think it was noble of her to take care of her sisters and provide them with an education. My grandparents sucked. I didn’t even know them, and I wasn’t sure I ever wanted to.

 

They were as bad as my dad’s parents, who I’ve met a few times. I considered Reese’s Grandma Denise, my grandma. She has always treated me and my brothers like she did all her grandkids. Here I go digressing.

 

“What’s up Calleigh?” Brian asks. He is holding a plate of steaks. I didn’t realize it was already that late in the day.

 

“Nothing. Just trying to finish this song I’m writing.” I say shyly. I didn’t like talking about my songs with anyone but my dad or Reese.

 

“Cool. If you want I could take a look at it.” He smiles genuinely. Uncle Brian is always so nice.

 

“Umm….sure. I really don’t have more than a few lines. This one isn’t working out for me.” I close my notebook and get up to stretch.

 

“Is everything okay?”

 

“Not really.” I say sadly. “Just missing my mom and dad. I’m worried about mom and baby Jazz.”

 

“It’s been rough hasn’t it?” Brian starts placing the steaks on the grill. He closes the lid and we sit down at the table.

 

“Yes, mom is usually Miss Perky during her pregnancies, but this time she’s tired. I know she’s been worried the whole time.”

 

“Which in turn makes you worry.” How does he do that? That is exactly how I was feeling

 

I shake my head. “Plus all this drama with Reese, I don’t think it helped. Things have been rough this spring.” I could feel the tears prickling my eyes. I do not want to cry. I need to be strong.

 

Uncle Brian takes my hand. “Drama comes with the territory. Parents expect it to happen. You and Reese are beautiful girls. I’m sure your dads were preparing for the day when some boy turns you completely mushy.”

 

I blush. Brian has a way of making bad things seem okay. It was nice talking to him. “Reese is boy crazy. I’m focused on school.”

 

“It’s going to happen someday. Your poor dad isn’t going to know what hit him.” He laughs heartily. I giggled picturing dad freaking out on a guy that wants to date me. “Calleigh, things will be okay. Why don’t you go helping Aunt Lils with dinner?”

 

I give Brian a hug and go inside. Aunt Lilly is on the phone when I enter the kitchen.

 

“Oh no. Really? They are both all right? Is there anything Brian or I can do?” Lilly speaks into the phone.

 

Instantly I know something is wrong at home. My gut has been telling me something was wrong all day. I watch Aunt Lilly on the phone. She walks over to me. “Calleigh, your dad wants to talk to you.”

 

“Umm…okay.” I take the phone. I feel like crying, and I haven’t even got a chance to say hello. “Daddy.”

 

“Hey Pixie. I just wanted to tell you your little sister has arrived.” My dad attempts to be cheerful. He sounds worn out.

 

“Daddy, she’s early. Really early.” I try to hold back my tears, but I feel them falling down my face. “Is Jasmine okay? Is mom okay?”

 

“Pixie, calm down. I don’t want you getting upset.” Nick pauses. “Jazzy is doing well. She’s in the NICU. She’ll be staying there for a while since she was born prematurely. Jazzy is a fighter.”

 

I relax a little. “What about mom?”

 

“Mom is doing well. She’s as strong as they come. She’s just happy that Jazzy is healthy. I just wanted to let you know that your sister arrived.”

 

Maybe staying in Georgia isn’t the best idea. Mom may need me to help. “Daddy, maybe I should come home. I’m sure mom needs help around the house.”

 

“Pixie it’s nice of you to offer, but I think it would be better if you stay in Georgia. Mom and I love you, but this is your summer to enjoy. I know you love helping your mom, but we want you to have fun. It’s not your job to take care of things around the house.”

 

My dad’s comments hurt. My family is important to me. If my mom needs me, I want to be there to help her. “Oh…umm…okay.” I say quickly, before I start to cry harder.

“Calleigh, please don’t cry. I know you are upset. Mom and I need some time with Jazzy alone. Your brothers are going to spend some time with Hayden and Grayson at Grandma Denise’s. We love you all a lot, but right now we have a lot to deal with.”

 

“I understand daddy. If you need me, I’ll be on the first plane out.” I bite my lip.

 

“I know that. I promise to send you a video and pictures every day of Jazzy. I love you Calleigh Amber. I’m going to go to the hospital. I’ll tell mom to call you.” I hear the sadness in my dad’s voice. My heart is breaking.

 

“I love you daddy. Tell mom I love her.” I shut the phone off. “Aunt Lilly, I’m not very hungry. I think I’m going to lie down.”

 

She pulls me into a hug. “Your mom and Jazzy are alive. That’s all that matters.”

 

I don’t say anything because I don’t want to cry in front of her. I run upstairs to my room. I fall on the bed and tears pour out of my eyes.

 

Life is not fair. Why are my mom and sister the ones that have to suffer? Growing up sucks. All I see is pain and suffering anymore. I know that I should be happy that my mom and Jasmine are okay. I’m just getting tired of it all. I want to be a little girl again.

 

“Leigh, I’m sorry about your mom.” Reese says as she wraps her arms around me.

 

“Why my mom? I know she’s okay, but it still hurts. I should have been there for her.” I screech.

 

“Leigh, it could have happened even if you were at home. Sometimes things just happen.  Aunt Jade and Jasmine are fine. You have to be grateful for that. Your dad is going to take great care of them.”

 

“Ree, I just feel horrible. I want to go home, but daddy won’t let me.” I sigh, feeling frustrated.

 

“I know you do, but I think your dad is right. This is our parents’ summer to get things taken care of. Hopefully my parents will get their shit together. You might not think I care, but I do.” Reese wipes her eyes, so I don’t know she’s crying. “This is your parent’s time to bond with Jasmine. We need this summer to grow up. Let’s show are parents how mature we can become.”

 

I start laughing and Reese looks at me. “That sounds so funny coming from you.”

 

“I know, I know. Sometimes I don’t believe it myself.” She smiles at me. “Let’s go eat some dinner. Those steaks Uncle Brian are cooking smell divine. Plus Aunt Lilly made peach pie.”

 

“You are just like your dad, thinking with your stomach.”  We both laugh. Reese pulls me off the bed and we run downstairs.