- Text Size +

 

Daddies' Girls

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 22

 

Jade

 

            I can't stop standing outside the NICU looking in at my tiny little Jasmine.  She wasn't quite four pounds when she was born.  Nick could hold her in his palm.

 

            Nick. I'm so furious I can't breathe and at the same time I ache to have him here. I sniffle, a single tear sliding down my face.  I close my eyes and whisper, "Dear God, please don't take my baby."

 

            From behind me, I hear Aspen say, "Jade, she's going to be fine."

 

            I turn and fall into her arms. She hugs me tight and says, "Let's go back to your room and talk, ok?"

 

            I take one last look at my little angel before quietly following Aspen down the hall. When we are in my room, she sits on the bed beside me and says, "Nick's at my place. I left."

 

            Even through my fears for Jasmine, my shock is evident. "You left? Why did you leave? Aspen!!!"

 

            She shrugs. "All we do is fight. It's not good for the kids or him or me. Plus he's mad I let Nick have it."

 

            I sigh. "Aspen, he's right. This is my fight with Nick. Not yours."

 

            She looks hurt. "Well excuse the hell out of me, but from where I was standing, all this shit is NICK'S fault."

 

            I shake my head, my lip quivering. "No, it's not Red. I was in labor long before I found that video.  I just didn't realize it. Nick...this isn't his fault and you can't blame him."

 

            She grabs my hand and squeezes it hard. "Dammit Jade, stop doing that. He has to accept responsibility for what he does.  Don't make up excuses for him."

 

            I push her away. "Listen to me Aspen. I was in labor but not dilating when they brought me to the hospital. The blood came from Jasmine trying to come out because my body was telling her too. Nick had NOTHING to do with it, so STOP!"

 

            I see her mouth drop open and I fall apart, sobbing on her shoulder. "Red, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I'm just so scared. I want Nick here and I'm so mad at him...I can't cope."

 

            Before she can answer, her phone rings. She pulls it out. "It's Lils."  She puts it on speaker.  "Hey Lils, I'm at the hospital with Jade."

 

            I hear a catch in Lilly's voice. "You ok, Twig?"

 

            I sniffle. "No. No I'm not. Jasmine's in the NICU and I can't stand to even look at my own husband and I miss Calleigh, Michael and Cameron and I'm so fucking tired."

 

            Lilly says, "OK, calm down. Someone tell me what's going on with Nick? Why can't you look at him."

 

            I sniff and cross my arms. Aspen sighs. "Jade found...a copy of...one of your movies in her house. No porn in the house is one of their rules...the big one. It...didn't help any that it was yours."

 

            Lilly's so quiet, I thought she hung up. Finally, she whispers, "You found one of my movies at your house?"

 

            I growl, "Yes. Yes I did. God, how could I be so stupid? I was fat as a cow. No wonder he turned to porn."

 

            Lilly grows quiet again. Finally, she says, "Girls, I'll be flying out. This afternoon. We need to have a long talk and I'm bringing Calleigh and Reese with me."

 

            I can see Aspen's as confused as me. "Lils, why? What's so all fired important?"

 

            We hear Lilly say, "Both of you pack a bag. Now. I'll explain later." Turning her attention back to us, she says, "Trust me, it's necessary. Just...Aspen, just stay at the hospital with Jade. We'll be there soon." After a moment, she says, "Jade, Nick loves you. I'm nothing to him and you know it. Don't...don't do anything stupid."

 

            I snort. "You're talking to the wrong one. Red here left AJ."

 

            Lilly gasps. "WHAT?"

 

            Aspen rolls her eyes at me. "I did not LEAVE AJ.  We just need to think. That's all."

 

            Lilly's frustration is evident. "I swear, you two are going to be the death of me. When I get there we're gonna straighten this all out and you two are going to TALK to your HUSBANDS and fix this shit! Your kids need you together!"

 

            After Aspen shuts off her phone, I curl up on my side. "She's right, Red. Besides the fact that our kids need us, we love our husbands. We have to fix this."

 

            She nods. "I want to. I just get so FURIOUS with him."

 

            I have to laugh at her. When she looks at me I whisper, "You are SO pregnant. You were always the moodiest bitch on the planet when you were carrying your kids."

 

            She looks like she wants to hit me.  Then she laughs too. "I know. Poor AJ. I take it all out on him."

 

            I sit up and hug her, saying, "Red, go talk to AJ. Make it right. You two belong together."

 

            She whispers, "What about you and Nick?"

 

            I sigh quietly. "I'm scared Red. I can't live without him but I can't tolerate what he's done. Maybe later we can talk. Right now, I just want to focus on Jasmine."

 

            She kisses my cheek. "I'm going to go talk to AJ. And apologize to Nick. I never should have stuck my nose in. I'm sorry."

 

            I smile at her. "I love you Red. Thanks."

 

            She squeezes my hand. "Love you too, Twig. Get some rest. I'll be back with Lils tonight."

 

 

            Thanks to the time difference, Lilly and girls make it California by 7:30 and by 8:45 are at the hospital with Aspen.  After a soggy welcome from me, I took Calleigh to meet her little sister. After we both had a good cry, we settle in my room for what Lilly called a ‘clearing the air' session.

 

            I know it's gonna be bad because Reese and Calleigh look like they are either gonna puke or pass out. "What's going on? Calleigh, why do you look like you're gonna be sick."

 

            When she doesn't say anything, Lilly sighs deeply. "OK, so I'll tell you and we can clear this up. Nick didn't put the video in the basement. Calleigh did."

 

            I had to hear her wrong.  "What?"

 

            Reese manages to raise her head briefly. "I found the video at Jake's and took it.  I left it at your house and Calleigh was going to hide it till I could sneak it out again. Then we kind of...forgot."

 

            Aspen, who's sitting by me on the bed, falls over and groans. "Oh God, AJ's gonna blow his top."

 

            My heart constricts. Part of me is horrified that Calleigh and Reese watched Lilly's movie, but a bigger part of me is relieved it wasn't Nick.  Until it dawns on me that I lost faith in my husband.  I cover my face with my hands and whisper, "Oh Nick!"

 

            Calleigh jumps up on the bed beside me and hugs me tight. "Mom, I'm sorry. I'm SO sorry! This is all my fault."

 

            Reese sniffs loudly. "No, it's mine. I was so stupid, I ruined everyone's lives."

 

            She starts to leave the room.  I say, "Reese wait. Come here."

 

            She walks over beside me and I take her hand. "You didn't ruin anything. Neither of you did. Jasmine's ok. I'm ok. We're all gonna be ok."

 

            She wails, "But you're mad at Uncle Nick and Mom and Dad won't stop fighting...all because I was stupid."

 

            Aspen grabs her by the shoulders and says, "NO! Reese, this isn't your fault either. It's no one's fault."

 

            Lilly has been sitting quietly watching. She stands and says, "OK, girls, time for a long talk about why I did porn and the consequences of my actions. I never wanted any of you to know or watch, but since most of you have, let's clear the air ok?"

 

            I nod and say, "Yes.  Then I have to talk to Nick."

 

            Calleigh says, "No, Mom. Reese and I are going to tell him what we did."

 

            Aspen chirps, "I think I better be there for that conversation."

 

            Lilly says, "I think I should tell the boys.  It's gonna be bad enough that they know the girls saw my movie. Maybe after the initial shock, we can all sit down and work this out."

 

            I sniffle. "I just want Nick here, Lilly Blue. I need him."

 

            She hugs me. "We'll send him tonight. Now, I think we better take the bull by the horns and tell these two men their little girls are growing up."

 

            Calleigh hugs me tight and whispers, "Mom, I'm so sorry."

 

            I hold my firstborn close and say, "Water under the bridge Baby. We'll be ok."

 

Chapter End Notes:

Let us know!!! :)