- Text Size +

 

Daddies' Girls

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 23

 

Reese

 

            I'm pacing.  When I get mad, I pace. Mom says Dad does it too. Aunt Lilly, Calleigh and Mom are all just watching me.  I feel like I'm in a show. "Where are they?" I wail.

 

            Mom sighs. "Probably out getting dinner, Reese. Can you please settle down?"

 

            Aunt Lilly says, "Better yet, why don't you and Calleigh go to your room. We'll call you when they get home."

 

            I nod. "Come on, Calleigh, let's go."

 

            When we get to the top of the stairs and are out of sight, I put my finger to my lips.  "Shh."  We kneel by the wall and listen to Mom and Aunt Lilly talking.

 

            "Lils, I'm scared. I love AJ more than life itself. He's everything to me. I don't even know why we've been fighting.  There's no reason for it."  I can almost see Mom put her face in her hands to cry. They all do that.

 

            Aunt Lilly says, "Aspen, every couple fights. Brian and I...well, you saw our big ones when we first got married and I went into rehab. I thought I hated Brian for making me stop drinking, but I was just angry I couldn't do it on my own."

 

            Aunt Lilly in rehab?  Calleigh and I stare at each other as Mom says, "Lilly, I may not have ever told you, but I'm proud of you. You have come a long way."

 

            I hear Aunt Lilly snort. "I almost lost Brian and Jade in the process.  I can't believe I was so blind drunk I made a pass at Nick. At your engagement party no less!"

 

            Calleigh starts to say something, but I cover her mouth with my hand. I hear Dad's car.  We sit quietly on the floor. I know Calleigh's scared to death. To be honest, so am I.  Dad's gonna be so mad. Uncle Nick...oh it's gonna get ugly here.

 

            Seeing Aunt Lilly scared Nick. "Why are you here? Is Calleigh ok? Jade? Jasmine?" He loves them so much.

 

            Mom says, "Everyone's fine Nick. Lilly came out because...well, we need to clear the air."

 

            I hear Dad say, "I thought you cleared things up pretty good when you left, Aspen. What else is there to say?" My heart is breaking.

 

            Mom doesn't answer. Aunt Lilly does and boy, she doesn't hold back. "AJ, after we get through this, I think you and Red need to have a long, long talk.  But, well, you better sit down for this."  Calleigh grabs my hand and we stare at each other.  "Calleigh and Reese left the video in your basement, Nick."

 

            It's so quiet for so long, I almost run down the steps to see what's going on. Finally, I hear Uncle Nick say, "They did WHAT?"

 

            Aunt Lilly says, "Sit down Nick."  Apparently he does, because she says, "Reese found it at Jake's and took it before he could watch it and recognize me.  She and Calleigh, umm, watched it at your place and Calleigh was supposed to hide it until they could get rid of it. Then, with everything that happened, they forgot."

 

            I hear my Dad roar and I cringe. "Reese watched your movie? With Calleigh?"

 

            I hear Mom. "AJ, they were curious. You would have been at that age. I'm not thrilled about it either, but it can't be undone. We have to find a way to help the girls understand and move on."

 

            I peek around the corner. Dad is staring at Mom. "You're ok with this?"

 

            She sighs, "No, of course not. I just know blowing up is only going to make them feel worse. Right now, they are blaming themselves for everything. Reese thinks it's her fault we're having problems. Calleigh thinks it's her fault Jade's in the hospital. Us yelling is only going to make it worse."

 

            Aunt Lilly says, "She's right, AJ. Calm down. The girls are upstairs and I'm pretty sure they can hear you screaming down the block."

 

            Dad lowers his voice and says, "Lilly, look, I'm the last person who should judge anyone. I've made my mistakes and moved on from them." I watch Dad take Mom's hand. "Baby, you know you're everything to me and I love you. I don't understand why we fight. All I know is nothing in my life is worth anything without you and the kids."

            Mom leans into him. "AJ, I feel the same way."  He strokes her cheek in a way that makes me blush. Jake never touched me with that kind of love. No boy has. "Nick, Calleigh and Reese both feel bad about what happened.  But when you were their age, I'm sure porn was part of your daily life."

 

            Nick lowers his head. "Even after that. I just...I want to keep her in a bubble and keep her innocent. Is that so wrong?"

 

            Aunt Lilly laughs. "Nick, look at how the bubbles have worked so far. Calleigh and Reese are smart, intelligent young ladies who happen to have strong willed parents.  They are just as stubborn as you, Jade, AJ and Red.  You may want to keep them in a bubble, but they have celebrities for parents. You can't. You need to open up to them about the world...about your world as pop stars...and let them learn from YOUR mistakes. Before they make their own."

 

            I stand and pull Calleigh up beside me. She grips my hand and we start down the steps.  When Daddy sees us, his face is almost white. Deciding to take the blame, I say, "Uncle Nick, I'm sorry. I asked Calleigh to hide the video and I forgot it was there."

 

            Calleigh keeps her head bowed. I start to lower my eyes too when Uncle Nick says, "It's really ok, Reese. I'm not mad."

 

            Calleigh's head snaps up. "Daddy?"

 

            He says, "Pixie, I wish you and Reese had never seen it, but...Aspen's right, we can't undo what's been done."

 

            Calleigh flings herself at Nick and sobs into his shirt. I look at my Mom and Dad. Aunt Lilly comes up beside me.  "It's ok, Reese. No one's mad at you about anything." She turns to Nick. "Jade wants to see you. I'll take Calleigh and Reese out for ice cream while you ‘grown ups' do a little more growing up."

 

            As we're walking out to the car Aunt Lilly rented, I can't stop myself from saying, "Aunt Lilly, is my mom and dad gonna be ok?"

 

            She looks back at the house a minute before saying, "I think they'll be just fine, Reese.  And I have a plan. Why don't you girls spend the rest of the summer with me? I'll talk to Denise about keeping the younger ones and your parents can focus on each other."

 

            Calleigh whispers, "Aunt Lilly, will Jazz really be ok?"

 

            Aunt Lilly hugs me tight. "I think she'll be fine, Calleigh. I think we're all gonna be just fine."

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Hopefully everyone is growing up...you think?  Let us know!! :)