- Text Size +

Daddies’ Girls

By Rachel

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 24

 

Calleigh

 

I take small bites out of my pineapple sundae. Reese is eating a huge banana split that could feed five people. Lilly is eating a bowl of vanilla frozen yogurt. I guess she’s watching her gorgeous figure. Everyone is quiet and lost in thought. I know Ree and I have a lot to think about.

 

I decide to break the ice. “Aunt Lilly, are you sure you want us to stay with you for the rest of the summer? I don’t want you to feel uncomfortable with us staying.”

 

“Girls, it was bound to happen. I can’t stop that movie from being circulated. I’m not proud of it, but I realized that it’s not something I can hide from. It’s going to kill me to tell Adam in a few years.”

I feel bad for Aunt Lilly. It can’t be easy telling your son that you had sex with strangers to make money.

“Aunt Lils, what’s it like having sex? I mean mom says wait until it’s the right guy and it will be special. She never answers the question. I wish I got real answers.” Reese asks. Her mind is always on sex.

She takes a moment to think before speaking. “Sweetheart, sex it wonderful. I can’t lie about that. It’s one of the best feelings there is, but it’s even better when it’s with someone you care about.”

“Why do our parents keep us in this bubble?” I finally explode. Reese looks at me. I usually don’t make an outburst.

“Cause they think we’re babies. That we need protected from the world.” Reese remarks with a bitter laugh.

“Reese, the world can be cruel. It’s hard seeing the two of you grow up. You’re parents love you and don’t want you making the same mistakes they did. Your moms and I had a rough childhood. Our parents barely took care of us. They want better for you. Just like I want better for Adam.”

“Geesh! Mom had a bad childhood and Daddy is an alcoholic rock star. No wonder I’m such a bad seed.”

“Reese Elizabeth McLean, you are not a bad seed. You are a teenage girl that made a few mistakes. That’s what life is about.” Lilly takes her hand and squeezes it. “I think your parents want to make sure life is easy for you. The thing is life is always going to give you lemons. It’s what you do with those lemons.”

“So no matter how much they shelter us, we’re still going to make mistakes.” I take a bit of my ice cream.

“Pretty much.” Aunt Lilly smiles at me. “I’ll let you in on a secret. Even when you grow up and have kids, you’ll still make a million mistakes.”

“My parents are good at that.” Ree chimes in, and we all laugh.

“I’m glad you want Ree and me to go back to Georgia.” I place my spoon on the table.

“Why wouldn’t I want the two of you to come back? It’s been so much fun having you there. I can’t take Adam to get a manicure.”  We all laugh. I couldn’t see Adam getting his nails done. He’s so into basketball and tennis.

I shrug. “I don’t know. We’ve caused a lot of trouble.”

“That’s what teenagers do. Believe me, Jade and Aspen weren’t angels. It’s over and I forgive you.”

Reese grabs the garbage and leaves the table. Aunt Lilly and I just stare at each other. I decide to be brave and share my thoughts.

“With everything that’s happened these past few months; I realize that I need to grow up. I’m not a child anymore. Mom and Dad can’t protect me.” I nervously play with my spoon. “Especially Daddy; he babies me a lot.”

“You’re his Pixie. He’s always been protective of you, Calleigh. I don’t think that is going to stop.”

“But Aunt Lils, when everything happened with Ree this spring, I realized that I don’t always agree with what he has to say. I was afraid to tell him that I didn’t like what he had to say.” I start to shake. Lilly comes over and sits by me.

“That means you are growing up. Calleigh, it’s okay to have your own thoughts and opinions. It’s perfectly normal. You aren’t always going to agree with your parents or friends.” Lilly explains.

“But I don’t like upsetting Daddy or Mom.” I wipe my eyes. I can feel a stray tear fall.

“They aren’t always going to like what you have to say. You have to be honest, but not fly off the handle with emotion.”

“You mean like Reese.” Lilly gives me a look. “She just says how she feels and worries about the consequences later.”

“She gets that from AJ. I bet sometimes you wish you could be like that a little.”

“Yeah, I admire Reese’s conviction. She has passion about the things she cares about. Ree’s confidence amazes me. I wish I had half the confidence she has.” I admit. It was the first time I ever spoke that. It feels good to get it out.

“Calleigh, you have more confidence than you know. I believe you can do whatever you choose to do. I know you want to please your parents, but it’s time to start exploring who you are and who you want to be.”

I think for a moment. Aunt Lilly is so helpful at making me realize what I want to do. “I want to do music. I want to sing and write songs.”

“Well then that’s what you work on the rest of the summer. Brian will love to help you. I’ve heard him tell you a million times that he would love to work with you.”

I smile. Things are looking up. “I’d love to work with Uncle Brian. I also want to grow up this summer. I can’t stay the little girl my parents think I am. I’m going to be fifteen; I got to start acting like it.”

I am determined to change. I want to be a better me. It may take some work, but I’m up for the challenge.

I give Aunt Lilly a hug. I’m a glad that I am spending the summer with her. I wasn’t sure that staying with her was a good thing, but I was wrong. Lilly was one of the most caring women I knew. She is the reason my mom turned out so wonderful.

“Where did you go?”  I inquire when Reese comes back.

“I went to the bathroom. Then I ran into Christian and Spencer from school.  You should see how cute Spencer got. He was asking about you.” She smiles at me, and I can’t help but blush. “Ooh, Calleigh’s got a boyfriend.”

“Shut up! I do not.” I throw a napkin at Reese. We all start laughing.

“So, Calleigh just told me her plans for the rest of the summer. What would you like to do?” Aunt Lilly changes the topic.

“What do you have planned Leigh?” Reese seems shocked that I have a plan.

“I want to work on songwriting. I also want to show my parents that I have matured over the summer.” I say confidently. I know I can do this.

“Those are great plans, Leigh.” She turns to Aunt Lilly. “I think I want to work on playing the piano and my voice.  I think I need to learn to bite my tongue and think before I speak.”

“Those are awesome plans, Reese.” Lilly stands up. “We better get going.”

“Umm…hi Calleigh.” A tall, dark haired boy says.

“Hi Spencer.” I say with a smile.

“I didn’t see you at Mitzi Morgan’s party.” Spencer attempts to make small talk.

“I’m spending the summer in Georgia. I just came home to see my new baby sister.” I don’t feel as shy as I used to.

“Cool. Have a nice summer. See you at school.” Spencer smiles at me. I blush, but kind of like the attention.

“See you at school. Have a good summer Spencer.” I grin at him.

“I think someone’s getting a crush.” Reese sings after he leaves.

“He was just being friendly.” I say as I watch him walk out of the ice cream parlor.

“I wasn’t talking about Spencer. Everyone knows he likes you.” Reese smacks my arm. “I was talking about you, Leigh.”

“Oh.” I manage to squeak out.

“Leave your cousin alone.” Aunt Lilly admonishes Reese. “He is a cutie, though.”

I ignore their comments. For some reason I can’t stop thinking about Spencer. This may not be a good thing. I’m glad that I will be going back to Georgia until school starts.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
Let us know what you think!!!