- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I'm SO sorry about not updating last night.  Had a night from hell at work and by the time I got home, I collapsed. :(  Please forgive me!  ~  D

 

Daddies' Girls

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 27

 

Reese

 

            When Aunt Lilly dropped me off, I was afraid to go in the house.  All they do is fight. I just want my mom and dad to be happy again.  I quietly open the door.  I hear the TV in the family room, otherwise the house is quiet. So far, so good.

            When I peak in the family room door, I want to cry. Mom and Dad are snuggling on the couch watching The Lucky One.  I quietly sneak away, not wanting to disturb them.

            When I get to my room, I'm not sure what I want to do. I'm not sleepy. I don't want to bother Mom and Dad.  I turn on my computer, wondering if Calleigh's mom and dad agreed to her going to Georgia.

            I sign on to Facebook, curious about what my friends are doing for the summer.  I think you can imagine the shock I feel when I see I have a private message from Jake. I open it hesitantly, not sure what to expect.

                        Reese, i know u prolly don't wanna hear from me. but im sorry. i

                        want u back. Pleez baby? Luv u! J

            He wants me back? Really?  I grab my phone and dial his number.  He answers quickly. "Reese? That you Baby?"

            I clear my throat. "Yeah."

            I hear a door shut. "Where are you? Haven't seen you lately."

            I play with the edge of my pillow. "I'm home. I've been in Georgia with my Aunt. I'm going back with her soon."

            His voice has an edge. "Georgia? Why can't you stay home? I wanna see you. We need to talk."

            I pick up my pillow and hug it. "I can't see you Jake. Mom and Dad were furious. If they catch me with you, you'll go to jail."

            He growls, "Well, sneak out. Like you did before. Come on Baby, you know we were gonna do it. Come over now and let's finish what we started."

            Serious doubt enters my mind.  "It? You mean sex?"

            He snorts. "Fuck yeah, I mean sex. You know I wanted you. I still do. Don't you want me too?"

            I sigh loudly, thinking about Aunt Lilly and Aunt Jade and all the stories they told me. I don't think I'm ready to take this step. "I thought I did Jake. But I'm not ready. After everything that's happened...if you want to wait for me...I'll wait for you, but I'm not ready for that."

            He laughs. "Wait for you to what? Grow up? Get real! I just want your cherry, Reese. Come on, you owe me that!"

            I feel anger welling up inside me. "I owe you that? WHY do I OWE you that?"

            I must have yelled. I hear Mom and Dad coming up the stairs. I run in my bathroom and lock the door. Jake says, "After all I did for you! You're joking! You let me feel you up and now you won't put out?  What a fucking tease! Bet all the bitches in your family are like that! FUCK YOU!"

            He slams his phone down just as Mom and Dad come busting into my bedroom. I hear worry in Mom's voice. "Reese? Are you ok?"

            I sigh, frustrated and hurt. I open the door and walk out, right into my Dad's arms. "I'm such an idiot."

            Dad hugs me and Mom rubs my hair. "What happened Reese?"

            I push away from Dad and crawl to the top of my bed. "Nothing. Don't worry about it. I'm sorry if I ruined the movie for you."

            Mom sits beside me. "The movie will keep. Now, why are you so upset?"

            Dad sits beside her and they hold hands. For some reason, this makes my heart ache.  I fall against mom sobbing. She hugs me tight and whispers, "Reese, it's ok, you can tell us anything."

            I nod and hiccup. "I know. I just feel so stupid."

            Dad rubs my leg. "Why, Reese's Pieces?"

            I know I can tell them. But I know Dad will be furious. Instead of telling them everything, I just say, "I just realized everything you said about Jake was true. He didn't really love me."

            Dad sighs. Mom hugs me tighter. I'm surprised when Dad says, "I wish we had been wrong Reese. I really do. I don't ever want you to be hurt."

            Mom kisses my cheek. "I know what a broken heart feels like Baby. I know it hurts."

            I shake my head. "I don't think my heart is broken Mom. I'm just mad at him for being a jerk."

            Dad chuckles. "Stay mad, Reese's cup. He's not good enough for you. No boy will ever be good enough for you."

            I can't help it. I laugh at him. Dad smiles and before I know it, he's tackled me on the bed and he's tickling me like he did when I was 10. When I finally catch my breath, I see Mom hugging him and they look so happy.

            I sit up and take a deep breath. "Is it ok if I go back to Georgia with Aunt Lilly?"

            I see them look at each other and I think it's gonna be bad. Dad keeps his arm around Mom and says, "Why?"

            I cross my legs and say, "Because...I think it will be good for me to get away and...well...you guys aren't fighting."

            Dad puts his head on Mom's shoulder and says, "Reese, we didn't fight because of you. We just...we haven't been communicating well lately. We're working on it."

            I look at Mom. She smiles and says, "Reese, if you want to go, you can. But Dad's right, we aren't fighting because of you. You believe us, don't you?"

            I lower my eyes. "It just feels like it. I know I need to grow up a lot. I know I've done some things wrong. I don't want to be a disappointment to you."

            Dad takes his hand from Mom's and forces my eyes to meet his. I see his tears and he whispers, "Reese, you have never EVER been a disappointment and you never will be. We love you Reese's Pieces."

            I fall into their arms and for the first time in a really long time...I feel like my family is whole again.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Love to hear your thoughts!! :)