- Text Size +

Daddies’ Girls

By Rachel

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 28

 

Calleigh

 

“Who are you texting?” Ree asks as she plops down beside me.

 

“Umm…my mom. She wanted me to see a picture of Jazz.” I fib as I attempt to put my phone in my pocket.

 

Reese is too quick and grabs my phone.  I try to get it back, but she is too fast for me. Ree starts scrolling through my text messages.

 

“Gee I never knew your mom was named Spencer and wouldn’t she know what your favorite flower is?” She comments sarcastically. My face turns red from embarrassment.

 

“Umm…umm…umm.” I don’t know what to say. It’s been a week since we returned to Georgia, and Spencer has been texting me since the evening at the ice cream shop. I didn’t want to say anything to Reese since she was upset about Jake.

 

“Calleigh has a boyfriend. Calleigh has a boyfriend.” Reese sings with a huge smirk on her face.

 

I grab my phone from her. “I do not.”

 

“Uncle Brian, Calleigh has a boyfriend.” She teases me.

 

Brian comes into the studio, where Ree and I are hanging out.  I am trying to finish a song I was working on. He gives us a goofy grin. Uncle Brian is silly and a lot of fun. I wish he was closer to us.

 

“I do not.”  I shriek. I jump off the couch and hide behind Brian.

“Calleigh and Spencer sitting in a tree….” Reese sings off key.

 

“Nuh uh.” I yell.

 

“You do, too.”

 

“Reese Elizabeth stop picking on your cousin.” Brian warns in a friendly tone.

 

“Fine, she wins this time, but she has a boyfriend.” As usual Reese always has to have the last word.

 

I stick my tongue out at her as I come from behind Brian. She pulls me into a hug. “I’m happy for you Leigh. Spencer is a great guy. He’ll treat you right. Spencer is nothing like Jake.”

 

My face gets hot. “Thanks Reese. I’m really starting to like Spencer. You know you are going to find a nice guy someday.”

 

“I hope so. I’ve learned my lesson.” She gives me another squeeze before we break apart.

 

“So girls, I have an idea.” Brian takes a seat in front of the sound booth. I’m curious and I know Reese is. “How would you girls like to record a Backstreet Boys song?”

 

“That would be fuc….freaking awesome!” Reese calls out.

 

“I would love that Uncle Brian. What song did you have in mind?”  I ask shyly. I’ve always wanted to sing one of my dad’s songs, but I am afraid I won’t do it any justice.

 

“I thought something that would showcase your voices like a ballad.”

 

“Can we pick?” Reese asks. “I know what song we should sing.”

 

I am afraid to hear her choice. “What song is that?” I ask unsurely.

 

“Lay Down Beside Me.” She is serious. I can’t believe that is the song she wants to sing. I take that back, of course she wants to sing a song about sex.

 

“I am not singing that song. Your dad would kill you Reese. That song is pure sex.” I exclaim. I am adamant about not singing that song.

 

“Fine. Do you have a better choice?”

 

“No, maybe we shouldn’t sing a BSB song. What if we sang Christina Aguilera?” I suggest.

 

“That’s cause you can sing those fucking high notes. I’d die to sing like you.” Reese comments.  I know she’s mad at me.

 

“I didn’t say that to make you upset. I need to use the bathroom. I’ll be back.” I race up the stairs.

 

“Where’s the fire?” Adam asks when I almost bump into him.

 

“Sorry.” I run to my room.

 

I fall onto the bed. I hate when Reese gets jealous over our voices. Our voices aren’t the same. Hers is deep and soulful. Mine is high. I can’t help that she wants to sing those stupid high notes. It was never an issue until recently. When we had the band, it didn’t matter, but since we broke up, it’s changed.

 

I don’t understand why Reese and I can’t get along for more than twenty minutes. We never fought before and that’s all we seem to do. She’s my best friend and I love her dearly, but these tiffs have to stop.

 

I decide to go down stairs and confront her.  When I walk back into the studio Uncle Brian and Reese are having a talk.

 

“I feel like our friendship is falling apart. I’m always doing something to make Leigh mad. I say the wrong thing, or I do the wrong thing.” Reese sighs. She is as frustrated as I am. “I can’t help it that I’m jealous of her voice. It’s beautiful. I know I shouldn’t be jealous, but...”

“That’s right. You shouldn’t be jealous of my voice. Reese, you are a gifted singer and musician. You play the guitar, piano, and saxophone.  I have my voice and you have yours. We have the voice we are meant to have.” I walk over to her. I realize that she isn’t as confident as I think she is. She struggles with things just like I do.

 

“I think you both have beautiful unique voices that fit you. Reese you have a soulful, R & B voice.  Calleigh you are a songbird. I’ve heard you sing together and it’s magic. Your voices complement each other.” Brian says making us both smile.

 

“He’s right. I wish we could get the band started up again. Do you think our dads’ will let us?”  I question out loud.

 

“It would be awesome, but Shayla’s out. She is doing cheerleading now. So we would need to find a drummer and a bass player.”

 

“Sounds like you have a great plan. Any ideas for which song you want to record?”  Brian asks.

 

Reese and I think for a moment. We both speak at the same time. “The Perfect Fan.”

 

I smile at Ree. Of course it’s the perfect song. Brian is beaming about our choice. I remember that he wrote the song for his mother.

 

“I think we should make it for our dads. Would it be okay if we change the mom parts to dad?” I ask Uncle Brian.

 

“I think that would be perfect. You’re dads will love it.” Brian gives us a cheeky grin.

 

We get started on deciding which parts we will sing. Reese and I divide the parts so that we each get to sing the lead. Brian makes a few changes to the song, so that it will work for us.

 

“Here you go girls. It’s all ready for you to sing.”

 

We take the sheets from him and take time singing it a few times. Reese’s voice sounds beautiful. When we get to the chorus our voices blend, and it sounds like magic.

 

“Okay girls. Are you ready?” Brian moves behind the sound board.  We shake our heads and move to the recording booth.

 

As the music starts, Reese squeezes my hand. I smile nervously at her. I am glad that we are doing this together. Our dads are going to be surprised when they hear it. I hope my dad will be proud.

 

“It takes a lot to know what is love; it’s not the big things but the little things; that can mean enough.” I pour my heart into the song.

 

“A lot of prayers to get through, and there is never a day that passes by I don’t think of you.” Reese sounds perfect.

 

We both sing, “You were always there for me, pushing me and guiding me always to succeed.”

 

By the time we reach the chorus both of us are crying. I love my dad so much. I know that no matter what he will always be there for me. It makes me realize that I can stand up for myself and become my own person. My mom and dad will still love me.

 

“Girls, that was beautiful. Would you like to come out and listen?”

 

We race out of the booth. I’m excited to hear what the song sounds like. I want it to be perfect. I put all my heart and soul into it. As I hear the melody play in the room, I get excited. When I hear my voice I don’t believe it’s me. I know this is what I want to do for the rest of my life. Now, I have to work hard to make my dream come true.

 

 

 

 

~ The Perfect Fan Lyrics – Backstreet Boys