- Text Size +

Daddies’ Girls

By Rachel

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 32

 

Calleigh

 

I get excited and nervous as Ree and Uncle AJ step into the living room. It’s a good thing I’m holding Jasmine or might just bolt from the room. Ree looks at me. I quickly nod my head. I give Jasmine to my mom as Reese gets the cd from her purse.

 

I stand next to my best friend. We grab each other’s hand. “Reese and I have been doing a lot of soul searching this summer. We realized that it was time for us to grow up. We have to thank Aunt Lilly and Uncle Brian for the wonderful summer.”

 

“Thanks Uncle Brian and Aunt Lilly.” Reese shouts.

 

“It was a pleasure having you girls for the summer.” Brian comments from the speakerphone.

 

“Leigh and I spent many nights talking about how grateful we are for having such great parents. Mom and Dad, thank you for loving me even when I caused so much trouble. Grayson, Hayden, the baby, and I are so lucky to have you as parents. I’m sorry for all the trouble I have caused.”  She spills out with emotion. I am so proud of Reese. She has really matured over the summer.

 

I see Uncle AJ wrap his arm around Aunt Aspen. They are so in love. I am happy that things are working out for them. Reese squeezes my hand tighter when she notices them being so lovey- dovey.

 

I look at my mom and dad. They look happy sitting together with my brothers in front of them. “Mom and Daddy, thank you for everything. I wouldn’t be the young lady I am today without you in my life. I hope that I always make you proud.”

 

“Calleigh, we’re proud of you no matter what. You’ve always been special to us.” My dad says with a smile. I know he means it from the bottom of his heart.

 

“We had an awesome time with Uncle Brian working in his studio. He taught us a lot about music and growing up. Thanks Uncle Brian.” I explain.

 

“Anytime girls.” I can hear him smiling through the phone.

 

“Now moms, we love you a lot. We wouldn’t be as strong and independent without your guidance. But the truth is we are our daddies’ girls.”

 

Everyone laughs at Reese’s bluntness, including our parents. My mom is shaking her head while looking at Aspen, who’s doing the same thing.

 

“We know you love us, but we can’t deny it. We know you have your dads wrapped around your little finger.”  My mom says.

 

“Daddy. Uncle AJ.” I address them. “We recorded a song to tell you how much you mean to us. Reese and I hope you like it.”

 

Reese presses play on the stereo. Both of us are anxious to see what are dads think about the song. The beginning notes of The Perfect Fan wafts into the air. I notice my dad sit up straighter on the couch. His eyes lock on mine.

 

We can’t stop looking at each other through the entire song. I forget that there are other people in the room. I hear my voice and can’t believe it’s me singing. Reese sounds amazing. I admit my voice sounds good, but I won’t say it out loud. I don’t want to sound conceited. Music is a gift, but I don’t have to brag.

 

The last note fills the air and my dad’s face is unreadable. I can see many emotions floating through his eyes. The room is quiet, except for Aspen blowing her nose.

 

My dad stands up and walks over to me. He wraps me in his arms. We stay like this for a long time. I can feel the wetness from his tears on my head. I worry because he hasn’t said anything.  Maybe he doesn’t like it.

 

“Dad, what do you think of the song?” I ask quietly.

 

“Pixie, it was beautiful. I loved it more than you ever know. I am glad I have you as my daughter. You are everything I wanted and more. You have grown into a beautiful, caring, intelligent young woman. I’m proud of you.” He plants a kiss on my forehead.

 

“Thanks Daddy. I was so worried I was going to disappoint you. I know that it’s been a little rough with everything that happened, but I am glad that I was able to talk to you and tell you how I feel about things. It feels good to grow up, but I’m always going to be your little girl. Jazzy is so special to have you as a daddy.”  My dad wipes the tears that are falling down my face.

 

I stay cuddled against my dad and watch the scene before me. Reese and her dad are sitting on the couch. AJ is crying like a baby, while Reese is talking a mile a minute to him. I think things are going to be alright between them. The little ones have disappeared. They are probably playing outside.

 

Mom and Aspen are slowly leaving the room. I think they realize this a private moment with our dad’s. It makes me sad knowing they don’t have a relationship with their father. Every girl needs her daddy.

 

A few hours later, the McLeans’ leave and my younger siblings are in bed. I walk out onto the patio where my mom and dad are relaxing. I think it’s time to talk to them about Spencer.

 

“I thought you were exhausted.” My mom remarks, as I take a seat across from them.

 

“I was, but I have something on my mind.” I say quietly.

 

Dad looks worried. I am afraid how he’s going to react to me liking a boy. “What is it Pixie?”

 

“Well….you…umm….see.” I need to be confident. I can do this. I take a deep breath and continue. “You know, Spencer Owens. He goes to school with me.”

 

Mom and Dad nod their heads. “What about him?” My dad asks. This makes me nervous.

 

“Well, I saw him when we came to see Jasmine when she was born.  After that we started texting each other.”

 

“Sweetheart, why are you just telling us now? That was a while ago.” My mom is curious. I can’t tell if she’s mad or not.

 

“I didn’t think it was more than friendship. Plus I was in Georgia and he was here in Cali.”  I admit. If my mom is this upset, how is my dad going to react?

 

“And now your feelings have changed.” Dad comments gently. There is no anger on his face. I breathe a sigh of relief.

 

“I really like him, Daddy. He’s nice and polite.” I start to giggle. “He’s cute, too.”

 

My parents don’t say anything for a while. I am trying to figure out how to approach the subject of dating.

 

“Pixie, thank you for telling us about Spencer. I like that you are honest with mom and me.”

 

“Mom and Dad, there’s one more thing. Would it be okay if Spencer and I hung out?” There I said it. The worse thing they can do is say no.

 

“Calleigh, you know you are too young to date.” My mom blurts out. I didn’t think she would be my opposition.

 

“I know that, Mom. I know that I will be fifteen soon, and I can’t date until I’m sixteen. Would be okay if Spencer came to our house to watch a movie or going swimming?” I walk over and sit on my dad’s lap.

 

“Pixie, give your mom and I some time to think about it. It’s a lot to digest.”

 

“Thanks Daddy.” I press a kiss to his cheek. Then I get up and hug my mom. “Okay, I’m off to bed.”

I make my way into the kitchen. I eavesdrop at the door.

 

“She’s really growing up.” Dad comments sadly.

 

“It was only a matter of time before she would be interested in boys.”

 

“Jade, I think Calleigh showed us she’s mature enough to be friends with a boy. Let’s trust her and invite Spencer over for dinner.”   I smile at my dad’s suggestion.

 

“I thought you would be the one to lock Calleigh in an ivory tower at the first appearance of a boy being interested in her.”

 

“Don’t worry. I’m going to have security run a background check on him tomorrow.”

 

“Only you, Nick. I love you.”

 

 I’m not liking the fact that my dad wants to do a background check on Spencer. I guess I should be happy that he’s letting him come over. Baby steps, I just have to keep remembering that. I skip off to bed with a smile on my face.