- Text Size +

Daddies’ Girls

By Rachel

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 40

 

Calleigh

 

As soon as we get home Dad pulls us into the living room. Mom and Dad have this glow about them. I wonder what’s got them so happy.  It dawns on me, when I see the hickey on my mom’s neck, that they had sex last night. It seems like all I see and hear is sex. I am confused.

 

“I just wanted to let everyone know, that the guys and I have decided that this is going to be our last album.”

 

“Are you for real?” The words fall out of my mouth. I’m in shock.

 

Dad walks over and pulls me into a hug. “We decided we want to spend more time with our families. I hate missing the important things because I’m touring.  Calleigh, you’ll be going to college soon. I don’t want to miss your prom or graduation. I want to be here to see Michael and Cameron score a goal in soccer.”

 

“Daddy, it’s going to be good to have you home all the time after this tour. Are you going to stop doing music for good?” I ask curiously. What will happen with my singing?

 

“No. I want to spend time working with you, Seth, and Reese.”

 

“Thanks daddy. Is it okay, if I go do my homework?”

 

“Of course.” He squeezes me before he lets me go.

 

Once I’m in my room, I flop onto my bed. My homework has been done since Friday.  I’m feeling bittersweet at the moment. I’m excited that dad will be home all the time, but it will be weird to not having the Backstreet family around all the time. Plus, I can’t get my mind off of Spencer and what happened last night.

I hear a light tap on my door. It’s my mom. “Come in.” I answer quietly.

 

“Everything okay, Calleigh?” Mom asks, walking into my room.

 

“I guess.” I sit up and stare at the purple flowers on my duvet.

 

Mom sits down. “Did something happen last night?”

 

“Well…umm…you…see.” I can’t even look at her.

 

“Calleigh, you know you can tell me anything. I’m not going to judge.”

 

I look at my mom, but my focus is on her hickey. “Spencer kissed me last night.” I admit with a slight smile.

 

“Sweetie, that’s a big moment in a girl’s life.” Mom smiles at me. “How do you feel about it?”

 

I have to laugh at mom. Every time something major happens in my life, it’s a big moment. She said the same thing about my period, lol. I hope she doesn’t take me out for ice cream like she did when I started my menstrual cycle. That was embarrassing enough.

 

“It was nice.” I smile slightly. I’m having mixed emotions about it.

 

“Just nice?” Mom looks at me.  “I thought you would be on cloud nine. I remember my first kiss.”

 

“I did enjoy it. During the movie, Spencer and I…umm…umm.”  I pause to find the words. “We spent a lot of time kissing.”

 

“There’s nothing wrong with a little kissing. It’s normal.” Mom reassures, but I still feel unsure.

 

“I guess. Mom, did you know that Reese is on birth control? She takes some kind of shot.”

 

“Aspen mentioned it to me. She’s afraid Reese is going to have sex without her knowing.”

 

I feel the sex talk coming. It makes me uncomfortable talking about it. Now that I’m dating Spencer my parents are going to talking to me a lot about sex. I don’t like this part of dating.

 

“I just don’t understand how Reese thinks she’s ready for sex.” I comment. It’s easier to talk about Reese than myself.

 

“Calleigh, you know she isn’t. Reese likes to act older than she is. I love your cousin dearly, but she acts before she thinks. That can get her into trouble.” Mom cups my chin in her hand. “If you ever think you are going to have sex, I want you to come to me.”

 

I’m silent for a moment. “You don’t have to worry. I don’t plan on having sex for a long time, Mom. I don’t even think I’m ready to make out again.”

 

“Calleigh, wanting to kiss boys is normal. There’s nothing wrong kissing your boyfriend.”  My mom reassures me.    

 

“I know. Everything is so new to me when it comes to dating.  I don’t want to give Spencer the wrong opinion about me. I’m not the kind of girl to rush into things.”

 

“That’s very mature of you.”

 

My door opens and Dad walks in. “I agree with your mom.”

 

I can’t believe he was eavesdropping on my private conversation. It was hard enough talking to my mom about it, let alone my dad listening at the door.

 

“Nick, I think you need to go check on the boys.” My mom gives him a stern look.  

 

“But, Jade.” He whines. I want to laugh at my dad, but I don’t.

 

“Go Nick. We’re having a woman to woman chat.”

 

“Fine. I love you Pixie.” Dad smiles at me.

 

“I love you, Daddy.”

 

Mom apologizes after Dad closes the door. I pray that he’s not listening at the door. Just then my phone rings. I grab it and look at the screen. It’s Reese. “I need to answer this mom. Is it okay if we talk later?”

 

She nods her head and leaves. It’s nice to have privacy from one parent. Dad is too much sometimes.       

 

“Hey Ree!” I say cheerfully.

 

“Why are you so fucking cheerful?” She grumbles.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“I’m so fucking tired of being treated like a baby. My mom treats me like I’m five. Hayden has more freedom than me.” She practically yells into the phone. I love her dearly, but her melodrama needs to stop. Her moods swings are driving me crazy.

 

“Ree, I’m sorry. I think it’s because she cares. Did you tell her about Seth?”

 

“Of course I did, but she freaked out on me once I mentioned sex. Come on, everyone our age is having sex. I don’t see what the big deal is.”

 

I take a deep breath and speak. “That’s not true. There are a lot of people that don’t have sex at school. Most of our friends haven’t done it yet.”

 

“Just because you don’t have sex, doesn’t mean the rest of them are waiting.” Reese comments sharply. I’m starting to get tired of her acting like I’m a baby.

 

“Shut up, Reese Elizabeth McLean. You’ve been nothing but a bitch lately. I’m tired of the way you treat me and everyone else around you.  The world doesn’t revolve around you. I kind of feel sorry for Seth wanting you as his girlfriend. Just leave me alone.” I end the call and shut off my phone.

I feel bad for what I said to Reese, but I’m tired of her attitude. Why can’t she accept the fact that you can be happy without being the wild girl? I am starting to worry about her, but I need to take care of myself. I love Ree with all my heart, but I’m trying to grow up and mature; I can’t let her bring me down. Why is life so hard?                  

 

Chapter End Notes:
Let us know!!! :-)