- Text Size +

Daddies’ Girls

By Rachel

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 41

 

Aspen

 

Putting dinner on the table was exhausting. I was tired from the pregnancy and a busy day at the cupcake shop. I really didn’t feel like making anything more than hotdogs, but that isn’t going to work.  Reese, Seth and Calleigh will be here shortly to practice.

 

“Mommy, mommy, look what I made in school!” Hayden shoves a paper in my hand.

 

“Wow!” I say as I slowly bend down to her level. “Did you write this all by yourself?”

 

“Yes, I did. See, I got a gold star for my handwriting, and I spelted all da words right.” She jumps around excitedly. “Is Reese home? I want to show it to her.”

 

“She’s still at school. You can show Reese when she gets home.”

 

“Okie dokie. Is Seth coming over?” She sighs dramatically. I think my younger daughter is getting a crush on her sister’s boyfriend.

 

“He’ll be coming home with Reese and Calleigh.” I stand back up, realizing I won’t be able to bend down much longer.

 

“Yes.” She says with excitement. “Seth is soooo cute and sweet.”

 

“Go get changed for dance class, Miss Silly.” I smile at her. She gives me a kiss and runs out.

 

“Hi Aunt Aspen. Do you need some help with dinner?” Calleigh asks walking through the door.

“Sure.  Would you like to make the salad?” I ask my niece.

 

Something is going on with Calleigh and Reese. There’s been a distance between them for the last two weeks and neither one has mentioned it to me or Jade. It’s weird seeing them not getting along. When I’ve mentioned it to Reese, she either ignores me or changes the subject. Jade tells me Calleigh is doing the same thing.

 

“How’s school going?” I break the silence.

 

“It’s going well.” Calleigh says quickly, continuing to chop up carrots.

 

“What’s going on between you and Reese?” I’m point blank.

 

“Nothing really, I guess.” Calleigh says quietly. She reminds me of myself at that age. I would act the same way when I got into a fight with Jade or Lilly, well mostly Jade.

 

“Why are you and Reese not talking?” Calleigh’s face turns pink. I hit the nail on the head. “Whatever it is, you might feel better talking about it.”

 

“Umm…well.” Calleigh puts her head down. I hear her sniffling.

 

I walk over and rub her back. “Calleigh, you remind me a lot of myself. Your mom and I used to fight like you and Reese do. Jade would always say things that hurt my feelings. I hated being the youngest sometimes. My sisters were free spirits, and I was always cautious about everything. I wanted things to be planned and go just right.”

 

She lifts her head up. “It’s just that Reese thinks I’m a baby when it comes to boys. I’m just not ready for sex. Kissing is enough for me.”

 

Calleigh’s remarks about Reese scare me. How long until she starts having sex? I am frustrated and worried about Reese. I wish I could lock her up until she’s thirty, but I know that is not possible.

 

“Calleigh, I’m sorry Reese is treating you that way. I applaud you for knowing yourself well enough to know you aren’t ready for something because everyone else is. What does Spencer think about it?”

 

“He’s fine with taking things slow. Spencer has always been a gentleman. I think he’s afraid of my dad.” She smiles and starts to laugh.

 

“Yeah, your dad can be intimidating.” I place the chicken in the oven. “Sometimes I wish AJ could be more threatening.”

 

“Hello Aspen.” AJ pulls me into his arms. He places his lips on mine. The kiss feels incredible and revs up my libido. “I’ve missed you.”

 

When we break apart, I notice Calleigh has left the room. I think we embarrassed her. I am concerned about her. I have to make sure that I talk to Jade about it.

 

“I missed you, too. How was your meeting?”  I ask, while finishing the salad.

 

“It went well. We are working on the tour dates.”

 

“Is it going to be a long tour?”  I am curious how long my husband will be away.

 

“We’re not sure yet.”

 

“Dad, Mom.” Grayson yells as he enters the kitchen. “Reese and Seth went upstairs.”

 

AJ looks at me. I look back at him. Neither of us speaks for what seems like forever. “Thanks, Grayson. Go watch TV. We’ll let you know when dinner is ready.”

 

“What do you think they are doing up there?” AJ asks me.

 

“Maybe she needed to get something, and he went to help her.” I come up with a lame excuse.

 

“I highly doubt that.” AJ grumbles. He likes Seth, so I wonder how he would take it if he didn’t like him.

 

“Let’s not jump to conclusions. Do you really think they would do something with us downstairs?” I remain calm on the outside, but I’m worried as hell on the inside.

 

“You’re talking to the master of doing things under my mom’s nose. I’m going upstairs.” He starts to leave.

 

“Please stay calm.”

 

I decide to follow AJ upstairs. It might be better if I am there to keep the peace. We get to Reese’s room and they aren’t there. We listen for their voices and realize they are in our bedroom.

 

AJ opens the door. We find Reese and Seth kissing.  They pull apart when they realize we are standing there.

 

“What the hell is going on?” AJ asks sharply.

 

“Daddy it’s not what you think.”  Reese cries out.

 

“What am I thinking?” He spouts off. I grab his arm, hoping he calms down.

 

Seth looks embarrassed. Reese is ready to cry. I hope this was all just an innocent mistake.

 

“I was looking for my photo album from the summer. It wasn’t in my room. Then I remember mom borrowed it. I swear that’s the only reason we were in here.” She says seriously.

 

“AJ she’s telling the truth. I did borrow it.”

 

“I’m sorry Mr. and Mrs. McLean. We shouldn’t have been kissing in your bedroom. I apologize for breaking the rules. It won’t happen again.” Seth apologizes.

“Thanks Seth. We’re just worried what might have happened if we didn’t walk in.” AJ replies calmly.

 

“Just cause we’re alone, doesn’t mean we are going to have sex. I wish you would trust me.” Reese huffs.

 

“We do trust you, Reese.” I say lightly. In my heart, I don’t trust my daughter fully. She has practically said she’s ready to have sex.

 

“Then why did you run up here as soon as someone tattled?” She questions.

 

Before AJ or I have a chance to speak, Hayden runs into the room. “Mommy, the house is on fire.”

 

“What?” I barely get out. AJ is gone.

 

“The kitchen is smoky.”

 

“Reese take your sister. Get Grayson and Calleigh and go outside.” I quickly call out and head downstairs.

 

The kitchen is full of smoke. It had to be the chicken. I start walking in. “Go outside. I’ll take care of this.”

 

When I get outside, all the kids are sitting in the grass. I walk over to them.

 

“Mommy, mommy, I’m so scared.” Hayden says, as she clings to me.

 

“It’s okay sweetie. I think the chicken burnt. It will be okay.” I console her.

 

I start to worry when I don’t see AJ after ten minutes. Something must be wrong. Just as I am ready to go back in, he comes outside.

 

“Are you okay? Is the kitchen okay?”

 

My husband pulls me into his arms. “Calm down, Aspen. This isn’t good for the baby. It wasn’t the chicken. You dropped a towel on the stove. It caught on fire. “

I start to cry. “I could have burned the house down.”

 

“Shh, it’s okay.” AJ wraps his arms around me. “I think we should go out for dinner. The house is fine, baby. It just needs to air out.”

 

The kids run for the mini-van. AJ just holds me. I feel stupid.

 

“If you didn’t want to cook, you could have just ordered a pizza.” He teases. I start to laugh. “I love you Aspen.”

 

“I love you AJ. “