- Text Size +

 Daddies’ Girls

By Rachel

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 44

 

Calleigh

 

My birthday is finally here. I’m so excited for my party. It’s not a big lavish celebration, just my close friends and family. I’m almost done getting ready. All I have to do it put on my new lilac dress. I feel like a princess.

 

“Sweetheart, are you almost ready?” Mom pops her head into my room.

 

“Yeah, I just need to get dressed.” I say, but don’t move from the window seat. I see the limos pull up.

 

“Is something wrong?” Mom comes over and sits down beside me. “It’s your birthday, you should be happy.”

 

“It’s just…Reese.” My heart is breaking. “I’ve lost my best friend and it sucks. We had everything planned out. She was coming over and we were going to pamper ourselves before the party.” 

 

Mom pulls me into her arms. I don’t feel any better. Growing up sucks. Ree and I are inseparable. I want to make things better, but I don’t know how. Why do things have to change?

 

“Calleigh, I’m sorry. Things don’t always go as plan. Both of you are trying to find out who you are…”

 

I interrupt, “But mom, it hurts so bad losing my best friend.”

 

My mom cups my chin and forces me to look at her. “Let me give you some advice. You and Reese are going to go through a lot of ups and downs in life. She will always be there for you, and you’ll be there for her. Sometimes you need to drift apart to realize what really matters to you. Just let her know you’ll always be there for her. Your bond is stronger than you think.”

 

“Just like you and Aunt Aspen.” I smile through wet eyes.

 

“Just like me and Aspen.” She places a kiss on my forehead. “Fix your make-up and get dressed. You only turn fifteen once.”

 

Twenty minutes later I’m sitting in a limo with my friends. Spencer is sitting next to me holding my hand. He’s talking to Shayla’s boyfriend. I notice that Reese and Seth are sitting on opposite ends of the limo. It makes me sad thinking how Ree alienates everyone she cares about. She’s holding her “baby” and ignoring everyone.

 

“Happy birthday, Calleigh!” Spencer whispers in my ear. My stomach flutters from the closeness. “You look beautiful in that dress.”

 

I giggle. “Thanks, Spencer. You’ve told me that already.”

 

“And I’m going to keep telling you all night.” He removes a tendril from my face and kisses my temple. That simple touch feels so much more tonight. My emotions are on high.

 

“It’s cool that your dad got a limo for us.” Seth says while watching Reese. He’s got it bad for her.

 

“Yeah, it was a surprise. At least he gave us some privacy. Though I think mom warned him.” I laugh. I love my dad to death, but he can be a bit overprotective.

 

When we reach the restaurant, everyone rushes out. Reese holds back. I tell Spencer to go ahead. I need to settle things with Reese. I walk over to her. “Hey Ree.” I’m afraid to look at her.

 

“Leigh.” She replies in monotone. Just then her doll starts to cry. “Damn this baby. I’m so sick of it.” She is frustrated.

 

I take the doll and start to comfort it. A few minutes later the wails subside. Reese is sitting on the bench. I can see the tears pooling in her eyes. She won’t allow herself to cry.

 

“Your baby is asleep.” I reply handing her the doll.

 

“Thanks for putting little Esmeralda to sleep.” She stands up and hands me an envelope. “Happy Birthday Leigh.”

 

Before she walks off, I stop her. “Ree, wait.” I grab a piece of paper from my purse.  “This is for you.”

 

We both stop what we are doing. I slowly open the envelope. Inside is a card; I open it up. All it says is “I’m sorry.” It the exact thing I wrote to Reese. She looks up the same time I do. We run towards each other, throwing our arms around each other. I realize now that Reese and I will always be there for each other.

 

“Let’s go, BFF! We have a birthday to celebrate!” Reese exclaims. We walk into the restaurant hand in hand.

 

Dinner was delicious. My dad of course embarrasses me. He had to give a speech about his Pixie growing up. That put mom into a crying spell. Then Aunt Aspen let the waterworks flow. All of us teenagers run to the dance floor, with the exception of Seth and Reese. She makes a beeline for the door, while Seth sits at the table with the adults.

 

“Can I have a dance with my beautiful daughter?” Dad asks. Before I have a chance he sweeps me into his arms. We sway to the soft, slow music.

 

“Daddy, thanks for everything. I don’t just mean my birthday. You’ve given me so much. I’m grateful for it all.”

 

“You know I would do anything for you Calleigh Amber. I’m proud to be your dad. It has been one of my proudest accomplishments. Nothing I’ve done with the Backstreet Boys can compare to being your dad. I’m proud of the woman you’ve become.”

 

“Oh Daddy. Please don’t make me cry.” We stop dancing and he just holds me. I feel safe. “I love you, Daddy. I hope I always make you proud.”

 

“I don’t think you’ll have a problem with that, Pixie. You’ll always make me proud.”  He steps away from me. “Now go have fun with your friends.”

 

“Thanks Daddy.” I see Reese walk in. “Come on Ree.  Let’s dance!”

 

Aunt Aspen takes baby Esmeralda and she runs over. It’s been a while since I’ve seen that smile on Reese’s face.  “Mom gave me the rest of the night off. She’s going to practice being a grandma.” She chuckles. It’s good to have my best friend back in my life.

 

My friends and I are having a blast. We are dancing the night away. Soon we will be going back to my house for cake. Aunt Aspen made me a huge Black Forest cake. I can’t wait to dig in. She’s the best baker around.

 

“Calleigh, can I have the last dance?” Spencer asks shyly. It amazes me, that we are still so bashful around each other.

 

I smile at him. “Of course you can.”

 

“I want to give you your gift.” He pulls a box from his jacket pocket.

 

“Oh Spencer. You’ve already given me so much. The flowers were beautiful and the photo book. You need to stop spoiling me.” I comment honestly. He’s so good to me. Spencer makes me feel like a princess.

 

“I want to give you the world.” He stares into my eyes. I think Spencer is a keeper. “Now open it, please.”

 

I take the lid off the box. Inside is a necklace with a silver diamond studded key pendant. Spencer takes it out of the box and places it around my neck. I’m too stunned to speak.

 

“Calleigh Amber Carter, you’ve opened my heart these past few months. I’ve shared parts of myself that I haven’t shared with anyone. You enchant me. There’s no one else I want to share my heart with. You’re not only my girlfriend, but you’re my best friend. I love you Calleigh.”

 

I don’t know what to say. I’ve never had a guy pour his heart and soul to me. It’s all so new. I think I like it. I mean I really, really like Spencer a lot. He’s everything I wish a boyfriend would be and more. “Spencer, I love you.” I feel like I’m floating on a cloud. I think I’m in love.