- Text Size +

Daddies’ Girls

By Rachel

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 45

 

Aspen

 

AJ and I are relaxing in our love den above the shop. My hubby was nice and brought me lunch. I’m aching to make love with AJ, but my body is telling me no. I feel like a beached whale at the moment. I’m irritable and uncomfortable.

 

“How are things coming with Reese’s party?”  AJ asks, while rubbing my stomach. Little Willow Nickole is kicking strong from her daddy’s touch. She’s going to be another daddy’s girl.

 

“Everything is almost ready. There are a few things left to do right before the party. I hope Reese likes it.” I say quietly. Reese still has a slight chip on her shoulder.

 

“Baby, she’s going to love it. Reese trusted you enough to plan it.” He places a kiss on my cheek.

 

“You’re right. I just always feel insecure when it comes to Reese.” I say honestly. I lean into my husband. “I love our daughter, but our relationship has always been arduous. Our personalities clash on almost everything.”

 

“Reese loves you.” AJ kisses me again.

 

I sigh. “I know she loves me. I just never thought it would be this hard. She’s so independent and headstrong. I guess…I wish that she would just lean on me once and a while.”

 

“You’re the reason she’s a strong, independent young woman.”

 

“What do you mean?” I sit up and look at my husband. I am not sure I believe him.

“Aspen, you have kept our family together all these years. You handle life with grace, poise and control. You’ve shown our kids, especially Reese how to handle life situations. You’re the rock we all lean on. Aspen, you have taught Reese to stand on her two feet and to stand by her convictions.” AJ cups my chin, forcing me to look at him. “We may not always like her convictions, but she’s not afraid to be who she is. That’s because of you. You’ve let her grow into the person she is meant to be. Sure, on the outside that can be a spoiled brat, but on the inside Reese is a good girl.”

 

Damn, AJ. Why does he have to say things like that to me? Tears are running down my face. He looks deeply into my eyes and continues talking.

 

“I know I spoiled her too much, but I wanted to give her the world. I take the blame for the attitude and bad behavior. Would I do it differently if I had the chance? I’m not so sure. Our life would be different, and I love our life together. There’s no way I’d change having the wonderful family I have. Aspen, you are my world now and forever.”

 

We meet forehead to forehead, arms wrapped around each other. I’m touched by AJ’s tender words. Sure, we may not be parents of the year when it comes to our teenage daughter. In the end it doesn’t matter. Reese is a good girl. I don’t know when she stopped believing that, but it was time to make her start realizing how special she truly is.

 

“Please make sure you’re fully clothed before we get up there. I don’t want to see AJ’s lily white ass sticking up in the air.” Nick’s voice reverberates up the stairs.

 

“Really, Nick?” Jade reprimands playfully.

 

“Come on, do you really want to walk in on them doing it?” Nick starts laughing hysterically.

 

I quickly try wiping the tears off my face. I look over at AJ and he’s doing the same thing. We are an emotional mess. This moment was more intimate than making love. It’s a memory I will treasure forever.

 

“Hello Red.”  Jade says happily. She looks at me funny when she notices I’ve been crying.

 

“Hey, Jade. I’m fine.” I smile at her as she hugs me. The little princess decides to give a hard kick.

 

“Wow, your kid has a strong kick.”  Jade pulls away and rubs her stomach.

 

“That’s Willow Nickole for you.”  I smile as my sister stares at me in disbelief.

 

“Seriously you didn’t name your daughter after me and Nick.” She keeps shaking your head.

 

“Yes, we did. It’s our way of saying thank you for everything you have done for us. We are thankful for having you in our lives.”  AJ says thoughtfully. It was an easy decision for us to name our daughter after two of the most important people in our lives.

 

“Damn you two. Look Nick’s even crying.” Jade comments. We all turn to look at him. He’s wiping his eyes, so no one will notice.

 

“It’s okay, Nick. Real mean cry.” AJ runs over and embraces Nick.

 

“Get the fuck off me, dude.”  Nick pushes him a way. “Here are the car brochures you asked for.”

 

Nick’s comment perks my interest. I can’t believe AJ is seriously thinking about getting Reese a car. In my eyes, she is not ready to drive a car. I can just imagine the speeding tickets she will get, or worse getting herself into an accident.

 

“Nick give me the brochures.” I hold out my hand and give him my mom look. He quickly hands them over, while AJ pouts, “There is no way we are giving our daughter a Camaro, a Mustang, or any other type of car.”

 

“I think you should go with the Lexus LFA Sports Car. Reese would love it in yellow.” Nick starts talking cars.

 

“Are you guys listening to me?” I huff. Of course they aren’t. They are too busy being men.

 

“But she really wants a hot pink Camaro with zebra interior. I think that would be perfect for Reese.”

 

“We are not getting Reese a car.” I interrupt. AJ pays no mind to me. I decide not to argue with him. Right now, I’m fighting a loss cause. “Jade, you want to go downstairs with me? The testosterone in here is a little thick.”

 

I need to get back down to work. Can’t have my employees thinking I’m lazy. I’d rather stay upstairs all afternoon. I start to waddle down the stairs.

 

“Are you okay, Red?” Jade asks from behind me.

 

“I’m okay. Just feeling tired and bloated. I’m ready for the baby to be here. I’m so uncomfortable.”

 

“You don’t have much longer until you hold that precious little girl in your arms.” Jade smiles at me.

 

“Just think we might have two new best friends on our hands, Jazz and Willow.” We both start to laugh.

 

“Do you think we can handle that again?” Jade asks.

 

“I hope so. The second time will hopefully be easier.”  I smile. We link arms and go into the shop.