- Text Size +

 

Daddies' Girls

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 46

 

Jade

 

            Reese's party is this weekend.  I know AJ is determined to buy her the car of her dreams, but hopefully Aspen scaled him back a bit.  She really is too young for a sports car.  Nick and I discussed it and I think he understands where we're coming from.  He went shopping with AJ, hoping to convince him that Aspen is right.  If a car is what he wants to get Reese, at least get a sensible, safe car.

 

            They've been gone an hour.  Not expecting them back for at least two more, I sit in the rocker in the nursery holding Jasmine.  She's almost 7 months old now and you can't even tell she was a preemie.  She looks up at me laughing as she drinks her bottle.

 

            Just as she's dozing off, my phone buzzes.  I answer it quietly.  "Hello?"

 

            On the other end I hear Lilly's voice.  "Hey Twig, how are you?"

 

            I sigh, genuinely happy to hear from my older sister.  "I'm fine, Lilly Blue, how are you?"

 

            She laughs and says, "Well...if you'll come and open the door for Red and me, you can see for yourself."

 

            I squeal with glee, waking up my darling baby girl.  I throw down my phone and stand quickly, patting her arm to calm her cries.  She quiets quickly and continues suckling on her bottle as I walk through the house.

 

            When I open the door, Lilly smiles broadly and holds out her arms.  Knowing she doesn't want to hold me, I gently pass her Jasmine and then hug her tightly as she stares at Jasmine.  "I swear Jade, she's just like Nick.  Why do the girls always look like their daddies?"

 

            I giggle as we all collapse in the living room. "I don't know, but I'm glad she does.  Nick is a handsome devil, isn't he?"

            Aspen laughs.  "Yes, he is.  All our men are." She looks around. "Where are Michael and Cameron?"

 

            I laugh.  "Next door. The neighbors put up a tree house.  A ‘boys only' zone."

 

            Lilly whispers, "Good.  Because I want us to have a nice long talk."

 

            I stare at her cautiously. "What is it Lilly?"

 

            She shrugs and says, "Let's get Jazz in the bed, then I'll tell you."

 

            Her attitude is puzzling and unnerving.  I stand quickly and she passes Jazz back to me after kissing her downy soft curls.  When I put her down, she curls on her side and her thumb finds its way into her mouth. I smile wistfully. She's so much like Calleigh was.

 

            When I get back downstairs, Aspen is pouring the wine while Lilly puts cheese and crackers on a platter.  Once we settle again in the living room, I stare a hole into Lilly. "What's going on?"

 

            She sighs and whispers, "I think it's time we clear the air about Nick, Jade."

 

            I feel my heart constrict.  "What is there to talk about Lilly?"

 

            She shifts uncomfortably.  "Brian asked me the same thing...after he left."

 

            My mouth falls open. So does Aspen's. She finds her voice first.  "He...LEFT?"

 

            She nods sadly.  "We're not officially separated or anything.  We just...we needed time apart to get ourselves straightened out."

 

            Acting calmer than I feel, I say, "So, what does Nick have to do with all of this?"

 

            She looks at me and blushes.  "Jade, I swore to you a LONG time ago I'd never do anything with Nick.  And I'll keep that promise till the day I die.  But it doesn't mean I've never wondered..."

 

            I feel my body tense up. Aspen takes my hand. "What's the deal, Lilly? You're saying you have feelings for Nick?"

 

            She looks away guiltily. "I guess that's the best way to put it.  I don't ‘love' him, not the way I do Brian, but I...fantasize about him."

 

            I lower my eyes.  "Why are you telling me this, Lilly?"

 

            She whispers quietly, "Because I don't want us to have secrets between us again.  And I want you to both understand why...I stay away like I do.  Jade I love you and Aspen both.  You're...you're more like my daughters than my sisters.  I know it sounds crazy, but I feel as if I raised you, not our mother.  Because I feel that way, I have to do what I think is best for you."

 

            Aspen rubs her swollen stomach and whispers, "Lilly, I just don't understand."

 

            She looks at Aspen, then at me, with a sad smile on her face.  "I don't trust myself to not throw myself at Nick.  I mean, seriously, look what I did at your engagement party, Aspen.  I almost ruined my own sister's life because I couldn't stay away from the man she loves."  When neither of us say anything, she continues quietly.  "Brian is my soul mate and always will be.  But he...one night we were...being intimate, and I said...some things I shouldn't have."

 

            Without blinking an eye I say, "You called out Nick's name, didn't you?"

            She nods, lowering her head with shame.  "I don't know why, I wasn't even thinking about him.  But now, well, Brian's moved out.  Adam...he thinks we're just in a rut.  He stayed with me."

 

            Aspen reaches for Lilly's hand.  "What about Brian?"

 

            Lilly shrugs.  "He says he doesn't want a divorce. But he needs space.  I can't say I blame him.  Look at the things I've done in my life.  I'm not exactly the poster child for being a good wife."

 

            I think about what she's saying.  Before Jasmine was born, this confession would have scared the crap out of me.  But now...I trust Nick. I know he loves me and he wants only me.  I move to kneel on the floor in front of Lilly. She looks up at me when I take her hands.  "Lilly, I'm not mad.  I'm not happy, but...well, I trust Nick.  And believe it or not I trust you too."

 

            She sniffles and leans forward, hugging me tightly.  "Jade, I SWEAR..."

 

            I shush her and whisper, "Don't.  The important thing now is you and Brian. What are you going to do?"

 

            She shrugs.  I sit back and she says, "We're going to do some intense couples' counseling.  Until we get through this...well, you may not hear much from me.  I wanted to tell you both why.  And hope you understand that it's not because I'm attracted to Nick that I'm staying away.  It's because I love Brian with all my heart and soul.  I have to win his trust again."

 

            Aspen gasps and we both turn, seeing her holding her stomach tightly.  Fear races through my veins.  "Red!  What's wrong?"

            She pants and whispers, "I really hope it's just false labor."

 

            Lilly moves to sit beside her.  "How long have you been in pain?"

 

            Aspen shrugs, "A few days."

 

            I stand up, horrified.  "DAYS?  RED, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?"

            She looks up at me and says, "Calm down, Jade.  It's passed now."  Turning to Lilly she says, "Whatever you need Lilly, you know I'll always love you. And so will AJ."

 

            Lilly waves her hand.  "Not NOW Red.  We need to get you to the hospital!"

 

            She crosses her arms stubbornly and says, "No, we DON'T!  This baby is not coming before Reese's party, end of discussion."

 

            I kneel in front of her and whisper, "Aspen, we should at least call your doctor. And you have to tell AJ."

 

            She shudders, "For the love of God, if you tell him he'll go off the deep end.  Trust me, it's not labor.  Just odd pains now and again.  I swear, I am NOT in labor."

 

            I watch her face closely.  "If it happens again today, will you at least call your doctor?"

 

            She nods, rolling her eyes.  "Yes, I will.  Now...Jade...I think you and Lilly need to be alone.  I'm just going to waddle off to the bathroom."

 

            We watch her go. Lilly whispers, "Is she ok, Twig?"

 

            I shrug and turn to Lilly.  "I think so."  Quietly, I ask, "Are we ok, Lilly Blue?"

 

            She hugs me tightly and we both cry.  "Jade, I love you dearly.  I wish we could be closer...but Brian is my everything.  I have to fix this...even if it means..."

 

            I hug her tightly and say, "Don't. You're always my sister and I'll always love you.  And I'll always TRUST you.  Fix what you have to with Brian.  I'll always be here."

 

            From behind me, Aspen says, "So will I."  We turn and she's white as a sheet. "Will one of you call AJ?  I think I might be in labor for real this time."

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Love to hear your thoughts!  :)