- Text Size +

 

Daddies' Girls

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 47

 

Reese

 

            When we get off the bus at Calleigh's house, I growl, "Mom better let me ditch this ‘baby' before my party!" Once again, the stupid doll is crying.  By now, everyone has stopped teasing me about it.  Frankly, after I started taking it to school, a lot of people quit talking to me.  I blame Mom and Dad for that.

 

            I know Calleigh is rolling her eyes.  "Well, Reese, maybe they will.  I mean, things seem to be better."

 

            I kick a rock and admit, "Yeah, you're right."

 

            She turns to me and asks the question I didn't want to answer yet. "So, did this experience teach you anything?"

 

            I shrug and open my mouth to answer as she opens the door.  Before I can say anything, I hear Aunt Jade say, "Aspen, sit down. Lilly, try to call AJ, I'll call an ambulance."

 

            I push past Calleigh and see my Mom holding her stomach and crying.  I throw everything I'm holding on the floor and rush forward. "Mom?!  What's wrong?"

            She grabs my hand as she sinks onto the sofa. "Lilly, DON'T call an ambulance!  I mean it!" Looking at me, she whispers, "I think I'm in labor, honey."

 

            I look at her stomach and I almost throw up. "For real? But...you can't be!"

 

            She shakes her head. "Sorry, honey, I didn't do it to ruin your party..."

 

            Until she said it, I was thinking about the party.  I'm instantly ashamed.  "Mom, that's not what...that doesn't matter.  Where's Daddy?"

            She smiles. "It's ok, Reese.  I know it's a big day for you and I won't let it be ruined."

 

            I lean forward and hug her tightly. "Mom, I mean it, I'm just...we need to get you to the hospital, where's Daddy?"

            How can I voice my fears?  My mom is older than most new mom's.  She's...she looks so tired.  I'm so ashamed my first thought was about my party when my mom is having my baby sister.

 

            Calleigh is clutching Jade.  "Where's Uncle AJ Mom? Why won't Aunt Aspen go in an ambulance?"

 

            Before Aunt Jade can answer, my mom says, "Because I don't want to go in a damn ambulance.  Just...find AJ Lilly!"

 

            I kneel by Mom, watching as she pants and squeezes her eyes shut in pain.  I whimper and whisper, "Mommy?"

 

            She opens her eyes. "I'll be ok, Reese. Don't worry. I've done this three times already."

 

            Aunt Jade stomps around, "Why won't Nick or AJ either one answer their phones? I'm gonna kill them both!"

 

            Lilly grabs her arm. "Calm down Twig.  Let's get Red to the hospital."

 

            Calleigh steps in. "Mom, I'll watch Jazz.  Go with Aunt Lilly."  Looking at me, she whispers, "Leave Esmerelda too."

 

            I almost laugh and at the same time I want to cry.  I look at the baby on the floor where I dropped it.  Looking up at my mom, I whisper, "I get it Mom. I really do."

 

            She smiles and leans forward to hug me.  "I knew you would Reese.  I can't stop you from having sex, even though I want to. Just...please be careful, ok?"

 

            I nod against her shoulder.  Her grip on me tightens and she whispers, "Oh no!"

 

            I jump back as something wet splashes my leg. Aunt Jade pulls me back and says, "Calleigh, you and Reese go get some towels. And bring me the alcohol from the bathroom."

 

            Aunt Lilly practically screams, "JADE, WE CAN'T DO THIS!"

 

            Aunt Jade pulls Mom to her feet and guides her to Uncle Nick's recliner. "Do we have a choice, Lilly? I sure as hell don't want to do this in my car.  Keep trying AJ." Calleigh's gone for towels and I'm frozen. She takes my hand and squeezes it.  "Reese, call your Dad. Tell him if he wants to be here for this he better haul ass."

 

            I reach for my back pack and grab my phone.  Esmerelda is crying. I switch it off, scared out of my mind. Mom is having her baby in Aunt Jade's living room and Daddy isn't here.  His phone rings six times before he answers. "Reese's Pieces, can you..."

 

            I stop him, saying, "Daddy, it's Mom. She's...having the baby. Aunt Jade says you better haul ass.  Mom won't get in an ambulance."

 

            I hear Daddy yell, "WHAT? Tell your mother to get in that ambulance or so help me..."

 

            His words are drowned out by Mom crying, "AJ!"

 

            I hear Uncle Nick saying, "Come on! Leave it, we'll come back later and sign the papers.  He's going to be a Daddy!"

 

            I turn my phone off.  "He's coming Mommy."

 

            Mommy? Why is it when I'm scared, I revert to being a child?  Mom smiles at me and whispers, "I'm ok, Reese.  It's just happening fast."  She reaches out for me. "Hold my hand?"

 

            I move instantly to her side and grab her hand. She looks at me and whispers, "I love you Reese."

 

            I want to cry.  I lean closer and kiss her cheek. "I love you too."

 

 

            When Daddy gets there, he's about 30 seconds in front of the ambulance.  Mom's holding my hand tightly and panting.  Aunt Jade moves and lets the paramedics take over.  I watch in horror as my baby sister's head comes poking out of my mom's vagina.

 

            Daddy is crying. Aunt Jade is standing close to me hugging me tightly. Uncle Nick scooted around the room to stand next to Aunt Lilly. Calleigh is still upstairs with Jasmine.  The paramedic says, "Guess you're not waiting are you?"

            Mom groans and screams, "Hell no!" as Willow's shoulders come out. How can a baby come out there? How can I be standing here watching it happen?  Daddy is cheering Mom on.  Uncle Nick disappeared upstairs. Oh great, now I've seen my parents having sex and Uncle Nick has seen Mom's goodies. What next?

 

            Aunt Jade kisses the side of my face and whispers, "You ok?"

 

            I shake my head and say, "No one has to worry anymore. I am NEVER having sex!"

 

            She laughs as Willow comes out and is lying on Mom's stomach.  I look at my baby sister, tears streaming down my face.  Aunt Jade whispers in my ear, "With the right guy, it's worth it Reese. Just wait till you're sure."

 

            I think about what she says as I watch Mom and Dad. Both of them are crying and Daddy is kissing her face whispering, "Baby, I love you."

 

            I move close to them and kneel down by Daddy. He puts his arm around me and whispers, "Look how beautiful your sister is Reese."

 

            I can't stop staring at the baby. She looks all red and wrinkly to me...not beautiful at all. But still...it's my sister...and I love her.  I turn to look at Mom. She looks so tired. "Are you ok, Mom?"

 

            She nods and smiles.  "I'm just fine Baby.  But I think we have to buy Uncle Nick a new couch and chair."

 

            We all laugh and Aunt Jade says, "No Red.  Don't worry about it. NOW will you go to the hospital?"

            She nods tiredly. "Reese...I'll be out for your party. I promise."

 

            I hug her tightly and whisper, "It's ok, Mom...I don't care about the party."

 

            She hugs me back and whispers, "But I do.  My oldest will only be 16 once.  And I WILL be there!"

 

            Daddy rides in the ambulance with Mom.  I ride with Aunt Jade and Aunt Lilly. Calleigh stays to help Uncle Nick with Jasmine.  When we get to the hospital, Aunt Lilly hugs me and says, "I'm proud of you Reese.  You're so much more mature now than you were over the summer."

 

            I blush and say, "I think I did a lot of growing up."

 

            Aunt Jade nods. "You sure did. You and Calleigh both."  I start to walk away, but she stops me. "Reese, call Seth."

 

            I look at her, not sure why she's telling me to call him. "Why should I?"

 

            She smiles.  "He loves you, you love him. You know you want to be his girlfriend again.  But you have to make the first move."

 

            Aunt Lilly nods.  "She's right Reese.  Men will never make the first move."

 

            I smile at them both. "I'll call him later. Right now, I think I need to talk to Mom and Dad."

 

            Aunt Lilly hugs me. "About time, if you ask me."

 

            Aunt Jade hugs me too. "I'm proud of you Reese."

 

            I walk away from them, asking the nurse where I'll find my mom.  I finally feel grown up.  But more important, I know now that Mom and Dad only did what they felt was best. And they were right.  It's time I told them that.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Let us know please!!! ~ D