- Text Size +

Daddies’ Girls

By Rachel

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 48

 

Calleigh

 

Tonight is Reese’s birthday party. She wants to cancel it, but we keep telling her no. Aunt Aspen is getting out of the hospital this afternoon. My mom and I are decorating the club where Ree’s party is being held.

 

Mom is busy putting hot pink and black tablecloths on the tables. I’m putting the party favors on a table, when I feel I tap on my shoulder. Slowly, I turn around to see Seth.

 

“Calleigh, can I talk to you for a minute?” He asks quietly.

 

“Sure. Let’s go outside.”

 

Once we are sitting down, I wait for Seth to start talking. He is silent, so I guess I need to start the conversation.  “What do you want to talk about?” I question softly.

 

“Is…did…Reese….um….fuck it.” He’s clearly frustrated and pissed. I feel bad for him.

 

“What’s up with you and Reese? I thought she called you the other day.”

 

He sighs loudly. “She hasn’t talked to me since our fight. She ignores me at school and practice. I guess she dumped my sorry ass.”

 

“Seth, Reese likes you a lot. You’ve known her for a long time. She gets emotional about everything, and Ree doesn’t like admitting when she’s wrong.” I am confused by her attitude. “She told my mom she was going to call you.”

 

“Well, she hasn’t.” He gets up and starts pacing. “Did she tell you why she’s mad at me?”

 

I stand up. “No, cause she didn’t want to talk about it. She’s pretty much it kept it to herself.”

 

“Reese is pissed because I won’t have sex with her. I’m trying to be a gentleman. Most girls would kill for a guy that won’t pressure them. You would think after the way that sleaze ball Jake treated her; Reese would want a nice guy. I guess I was stupid for getting involved with her.”

 

The next thing I know Seth is punching the wall. By the pained look on his face, I know he’s hurt. I run over to him. “Are you okay?” I am in a panic.

 

“Oww, that fucking hurt.” He’s rubbing his knuckles. Why are guys so stupid?

 

“You need to get that checked out.” I wince, noticing the purple and black on his hand.

 

“I’m fine. It feels better than having Reese hate me.” He grimaces in pain.

 

“Reese doesn’t hate you. She cares about you a lot.”

 

“She has a funny way of showing it.”

 

I don’t know what to say to Seth. I’ve never been in this situation. I’m trying to be a good friend to Reese. She confided in me about Seth, and I can’t break hurt trust.  But, I think Seth needs to know what is going through Ree’s mind.

 

“Seth, sit down. Let me explain something to you.” He sits down next to me. “You have to promise me that you won’t tell Reese, I said anything to you.”

 

“I promise. Now tell me.” He urges. I can tell he’s in a lot of pain.

 

“Reese says you make her feel like the most important girl in the world. She can be herself with you. You don’t care if she’s a bitch. In fact, you call her out on it. Ree was hurt that you wouldn’t sleep with her. She feels like there’s something wrong with her because you’ve turned her down more than once.”

 

“That’s crazy. I love her so much. I’m afraid.” He replies in a whisper. I’m not sure I heard him correctly.

 

“You’re afraid?” I ask in shock.

 

“Don’t be so shocked Calleigh Carter. Guys are just as clueless about sex as you girls are.” He laughs. I join in with him. “Seriously, I’m a virgin. I may be seventeen, but that doesn’t mean I’m ready for sex.” He pauses. “Well maybe physically I’m ready, but emotionally it scares the crap out of me.”

 

“Seth are you coming to the party tonight?” He looks unsure. He has to come for Reese. “You have to come. Reese needs a guy like you in her life. You keep her calm. I know she’d want you there. Talk to her and tell her the truth. For as big and bad as Reese may act, she’s just as insecure as the rest of us. Now go home and take care of your hand.”

 

“I’ll think about it. Thanks Calleigh.”

 

When I walk back into the club, mom is on the phone. I finish getting the favors ready and listen to mom’s conversation. “Really? I’m going to kill my sister. Okay. I love you, too. See you in twenty.”

 

“Which sister are you going to kill?” I ask with a giggle. Mom is always ready to kill one of her sisters.

 

“Aspen.” She says with a sigh.

 

 Now, I’m really curious. “What did she do? She couldn’t have done much with being in the hospital.”

 

Mom takes a seat at one of the tables. “She bought us a new couch and recliner. I told her she didn’t have to do that. Why can’t she just listen?”

 

I start to laugh. My mom is too much. I’m kind of glad Aunt Aspen got us new furniture.  I am grossed out knowing she gave birth in our living room.

 

“It’s not funny, Calleigh Amber.” She give the room a once over. “Are you finished? Dad and AJ will be here with Reese’s present.”

 

I get all perky about Reese’s present. “Yes, everything is finished. Did they get her a car?”

 

Before mom can answer, I hear a car horn. It has to be Daddy and Uncle AJ. I grab my purse and race outside. Reese is going to be surprised. It may not be the pink Camaro she wants, but I know she will like this car. It’s going to be so much fun when she gets her license. We won’t have to take the smelly bus to school anymore. Plus I get excited thinking about going shopping on our own. I just have to convince my parents to let me go.

 

“WOW!!!! Reese is going to love it.” I squeal with excitement.

 

“It’s nice. I’m glad you chose a safe car for Reese.” My mom says from behind me.

 

“I kind of got outvoted, but I think I made the right choice.” Uncle AJ smiles. He’s pretty pleased with himself.  “Well, I’m off to pick up Aspen and Willow from the hospital. I’ll see you at the party. Thanks for helping with the decorations.”

 

“Anytime.” My mom says as AJ heads to his car, while Daddy drives Reese’s car to the back of the building. “Now Calleigh, don’t be getting any ideas about cruising around L.A. with Reese.”

 

I push my thoughts to the back of my head. “I know mom.  Reese doesn’t even have her permit yet. I’m sure it will be a while before she gets her license.”

 

“I’m glad you have a good head on your shoulders. Let’s go home and get ready for this swanky party.”