- Text Size +

Daddies’ Girls

By Rachel

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 49

 

Aspen

 

It feels good to be home. I have never been a fan of the hospital. AJ carries Willow into the house and takes her to the nursery. I make my way to Reese’s room. She is getting ready for her party. I can’t believe she is sixteen. Where did the time go?

 

I knock on the door. “Come in!” Reese yells over the music. I walk into her room.

 

When my daughter turns around, all I can do is stare at her. She looks absolutely breathtaking. Reese is wearing an elegant coral pleated empire waist dress with one shoulder strap. Her long brown hair is done in soft curls. She looks so feminine and grownup.

 

“Reese Elizabeth, you look gorgeous. What happened to your original dress?” I’m curious about the sudden changes in clothing. Her first dress was a little wild compared to the current one.

 

“Aunt Lilly took me to exchange it this morning. It just didn’t seem right for the occasion.” She answers while putting on her earrings.

 

“That was nice of Lilly to do that.” I smile at my daughter proudly. “Are you ready?”

 

“You only turn sixteen once. I can’t wait to see my new sports car.” Reese’s eyes twinkle with mischief.

 

“You’re too much, you know that.” I shake my head and laugh.

 

 

 

 

The party is in full swing. I’m exhausted watching all the teenagers dancing and having fun. AJ and I are standing near the snacks. He’s busy talking to Lilly and Jade. My thoughts are on my children.

 

My oldest is turning sixteen and my two day old baby girl is at home. Grayson and Hayden are running around. I love them with my heart and soul. I never thought I would find true love and have such a wonderful family. I’m truly thankful for having a one night stand with AJ. That one night created a beautiful life. I wipe a tear and realize it’s time to stop being so sappy.

 

“Is everything okay, Red?” Lilly asks. She will always be a mom to me.

 

“Everything is perfect.” I smile.

 

I notice Reese is in a heated discussion with Seth. They haven’t talked since before Calleigh’s birthday. I was kind of glad that my daughter took a step back from her boyfriend for a while. She wasn’t in the right frame of mind. Reese’s focus was on sex instead of building a lasting friendship with Seth.

 

A slow song comes on, I see Seth take Reese by the hand and walk over to the dance floor. She has a big smile on her face. I’m happy that she is happy.

 

“Can I have this dance?” AJ whispers in my ear. His hand is on the small of my back as he glides to onto the floor. We sway back and forth to the music.

 

“This feels nice.” I rest my head on my husband’s shoulder.

 

He rubs my back gently making me melt into his body. “You have to be exhausted, Aspen.”

 

“I am, but I would never miss this moment. Reese will only be sixteen once. Soon, she’ll be going to college and leaving us.” I start to tear up. “Before we know it all the kids will be out of the house, and we’ll be all alone.”

 

“Oh baby, we still have plenty of years with our children. Where’s the old Aspen?” He chuckles. “I miss the Aspen that didn’t cry over everything. I miss the way you bitch at me all the time.”

“Well if you want the old me back, I can have that arranged.” I lift my head and look deep into his brown eyes, “The thing is Mr. McLean we will have to go back to having vanilla sex once a month.”

 

AJ’s mouth gapes open. I think I put him into shock. I can’t hold in the laughter any longer.  “I thought you were serious!”

 

“I like chocolate, vanilla, butter pecan, strawberry cheesecake and red velvet sex.” My lips move to his for a chaste kiss. There are a lot of teenagers around so I need to be a good role model.

 

“And you can have all 31 flavors and then some. I love you, Aspen Ruby McLean.”

 

“I love you, Alexander James McLean.”

 

“Ok, break it up you two. You are making everyone green with envy.” Reese teases. We all walk over to the table and sit down.

 

“Are you having a good time Reese’s Pieces?”

 

“This is the best birthday ever. Everyone is having a great time.” She says a little too cheerfully.

 

“What about you Reese? Are you having a good time?” I ask my daughter.

 

“I am, but I’m jealous of all the happy couples. Calleigh has Spencer. Aunt Jade and Uncle Nick have each other. You and Daddy are happily in love.  Even Aunt Lilly would have that look on her face if Uncle Brian was here.” She states unhappily.

 

AJ takes her hand in his. “I saw you talking to Seth earlier. Did you clear the air with him?”

 

She looks down at her lap. “Sort of. It’s just I always open my big mouth.” Reese looks up and over at Seth who is talking with Calleigh and Nick. “Look what good it’s done me in the last few weeks.”

 

“Sweetheart, you get that from your dad. He’s the king of inserting his foot.” She giggles at my comment, while AJ sighs. I can’t help but chuckle.

 

“Daddy, mom is telling the truth.” Reese comments sarcastically. AJ pouts and I nod my head.

 

“Why don’t you go talk to Seth? Tell him how you feel. It’s up to him to decide. Once you’ve said what you needed to say, let it go and enjoy your party.” I hope my advice will work.

 

“Thanks mom and dad. I love you.” Reese runs off in search of Seth.

 

I watch as Reese and Seth walk toward the door. I hope their conversation goes smoothly. In my heart, I know Seth won’t let her birthday be ruined. He wants to see her happy.

 

Finally after sitting for about twenty minutes, I decide to get something to drink. I’m in the middle of a conversation with Howie and AJ, when I see Reese and Seth walk in hand and hand. It seems like they worked things out. I’m a little concerned about the way my daughter is smoothing out her dress. I’m going to trust her and believe she knows what is right.

 

Seth walks over to get some punch. “Hi Mr. and Mrs. McLean.”

 

“Hey Seth. What happened to your hand?” AJ asks just noticing that Seth’s hand is bandaged.

 

“Well you see Reese has been giving all these signs. She is so frustrating.” Seth replies.

 

I can feel AJ start to tense up. There’s no doubt he doesn’t like Seth’s comment. When I see him lunge over the table, I have to push him back. This is not the time or place to start a fight.

 

Seth senses something isn’t right. “Mr. McLean, please don’t get the wrong impression.”

 

“Please don’t tell me how to think when it comes to you dating my baby girl.” AJ states sharply.

 

“Alex, please let Seth finish before your temper gets the best of you.” I turn toward Seth, “Please go on.”

 

“I can assure you that I only have the best of intentions for Reese. I care about her a lot.” He smiles. “I love Reese.”

 

My heart melts especially when I see my daughter standing behind him. She’s got the biggest smile on her face. Reese walks over and takes Seth’s hand.

 

“Do…do you really mean it?” She says unsurely.

 

“I do with all my heart.” He places a kiss on her cheek.

 

Reese focuses her attention on her dad. “See, Daddy not every guy is trying to get into my pants. You need to calm down.” We all think she’ finished, until she blurts out. “In fact, Seth’s never done it…” Her face reddens as Seth squeezes her hand to stop.

 

Everyone stands there quietly waiting to see what will happen next.

 

 “Oh shit, Seth! I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to broadcast that.”

 

His face is flushed. “It’s okay. I don’t think anyone heard but the adults.”

 

I decide to put them out of their misery. “Why don’t you two go dance? Let us old folks hold up the wall.” They both smile and make a quick exit.

 

“I think Seth is good for Reese.” Nick states with laughter.

 

“Stop it Nick.” Jade smacks him lightly in the arm. “I think it’s great that he isn’t pressuring Reese for sex.”

 

“I’m just saying, what teenage boy isn’t trying to get into a girl’s pants.” He looks at AJ. AJ just shrugs not wanting to partake in the conversation.

 

“Just remember it could be Spencer trying to have sex with Calleigh.” I remind him.

 

“Hell no. Calleigh’s going to an all-girls boarding school in Siberia. My daughter is never having sex.” He cringes. We all laugh at him.

 

“Being a dad to a teenage girl sucks. Boys are so much easier.” AJ replies. I can’t help to laugh at his stupid logic.

 

“Yeah, tell me that when Grayson is a teenager.” I give him a quick peck on the lips. Then Jade and I walk away laughing at our husbands.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
Let us know what you think!!!!!