- Text Size +

Daddies’ Girls

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 51

 

Reese

 

            I’m sprawled out on my bed watching Calleigh brush her hair. “Can you BELIEVE my parents got me a Mini Cooper?” I’m so excited about my car, I just can’t believe it.

 

            Calleigh keeps brushing and laughs.  “They only got it because it’s so small you and a Seth can’t do anything in it.”

 

            My mouth drops open in shock. When I see her giggling, I throw a pillow at her. “Well, then, we’ll take Seth’s car for that.”

 

            Calleigh throws the pillow back.  “Ree, does it feel different?  Being 16?”

 

            I think a minute.  “No, I don’t feel like I’ve magically changed into a woman.  In fact, I’m acutely aware that I’m a 16 year old virgin.”  I roll onto my stomach and cradle my face in my hands.  “I thought for sure by now Jake and I would have done it.  Well, when I was with Jake I thought it.  Now that I’m with Seth, I thought I would have for sure done it ‘cause he’s the one.”

 

            She stares at me so much, I almost get nervous.  “The one? As in marrying him the one?”

 

            I shrug.  “Maybe.  Maybe not marriage.  Maybe we’ll just live together forever.  I just know I want to be with him all the time.  Even now, I want him to…”

 

            She sits up straighter.  “What’s going on Ree? What are you hiding?”

 

            I sigh. “I’m not supposed to tell anyone because he’s not sure yet.” I feel my heart start to pound and my eyes burn like I’m going to cry. “Don’t mention this, ok?  He’d be PISSED if he knew everyone knows.”

 

            She nods. “I promise Ree, just between us, what’s wrong?”

            I sniffle.  “His parents are splitting up.”  She gasps.  I rush on. “His dad is moving away and wants Seth to go with him.”

 

            Calleigh jumps up and sit on the bed with me, putting her arm around my shoulder.  “Ree, why? Where would he go?”

 

            I let my tears finally fall and whisper, “San Francisco.  He works there part of the time anyway and he can just transfer up there.”

 

            Calleigh squeezes my shoulder.  “Ree, it’s not that far.  What does Seth say? Does he want to go?”

 

            I shrug, afraid of sharing my thoughts.  But Calleigh’s my best friend. If I can’t tell her, who can I tell?  “He wants to stay with his dad, but he doesn’t want to leave LA or…or me, he says.  He’s mad at his mom cause…” I push myself up and cross my legs under me.  “She cheated on his dad. Seth came home from school and the guy was there, half naked, feeling up his mom in their kitchen.”

 

            She gasps. “Are you serious?  What the hell Reese? Why would she do that? Seth’s Dad is like, amazing!”

 

            I nod. “Yeah, I know. Seth left fast, before they saw him and he called his dad.  He told him…well, what was happening. You know Seth and his dad are more like buddies than father and son.  He’s so MAD at his mom.”  I take a deep breath. “She’s done this before.”

 

            Calleigh’s hands fly to her face. “Oh my God, are you serious?  Poor Seth.  I don’t blame his dad for leaving her, but…well…I don’t know what to say Ree.”

 

            I just shrug. “Nothing to say. If he leaves…he SAYS he’s going to still love me and we’ll see each other every weekend.  But, well, let’s face it Leigh, some other girl could catch his eye…”

 

            She reaches out and grabs my shoulders.  “Now you stop that right now Reese! Seth is NOT Jake, he’s not LIKE Jake, and he fucking loves you!”

 

            Her outburst shocks me.  I start to giggle.  “Leigh, you cursed! You actually cursed!”

 

            She blushes and says, “Stop it!  Seriously, I’ve cursed before.”

 

            I just laugh. “But I don’t think I remember you ever saying fuck. What’s gotten into you?”

            She sighs and starts giggling with me.  “Maybe I’m becoming more like you.”

 

            I roll over on the bed laughing. “Oh my God, your dad will DIE if that happens!”

 

            We’re still laughing when Mom knocks on the door and yells, “Girls, what are you up to?”

 

            I catch my breath and say, “You can come in mom.”  When she opens the door and walks in, I say, “I think Leigh is turning into me.  We’re just talking about how Uncle Nick would react.”

 

            Mom can’t help it. She laughs with us.  “Girls, it’s not…Reese, you’re a lovely young woman and Uncle Nick would be proud to have a daughter just like you.” Looking at Calleigh, she says, “You’re more like Reese than you think, you just don’t blurt out how you feel like she does.”  Looking back at me, she says, “You get that from your father, young lady.”

             I giggle. “I know Mom.”

 

            She sits with us on the bed.  “Reese, I just got off the phone with Seth’s father. He told me what’s going on? Are you ok?”

            I can’t look at her. I stare at the comforter and say, “I guess. I don’t know. It just sucks.”

 

            She reaches out and takes my hand.  “Reese, they aren’t moving.”

 

            My head snaps up.  “What? Really?”

 

            She smiles.  “Seth had a long talk with his dad tonight.  He told him he wants to stay here.  Close to you. His dad agreed and well…we sort of made an arrangement.”

 

            My eyes narrow. “What kind of arrangements?” Mom rubs her stomach and I remember she just had a baby. “Are you ok, Mom?”

 

            She nods. “I’m fine, Sweetie, just a little tired.  Anyway, the arrangements.” I nod. “Well, when his dad has to go out of town, Seth will be staying with Spencer’s family.  Your father and I will be helping keep an eye on Seth while his dad is away.  His mother is actually moving out of state with her boyfriend so Seth will…he’ll need us for a while.”

 

            I jump up and hug her. “Mom, that’s awesome! He’s really staying because of me?”

 

            She nods, patting my back. “He loves you Reese. Really loves you. I’m not saying it’s the kind of love Daddy and I have. You’re both still young and your hearts are still growing along with your bodies. You could grow apart, but I don’t think Seth will ever hurt you like Jake did.”

 

            I sit back and nod. “I know Mom. He’s so different from Jake.”

 

            Mom just smiles.  “OK, I’m going to go lie down until Willow needs me. You two ok? Do you need anything?”

 

            Calleigh chirps, “No, I’m fine Aunt Aspen.”

 

            I nod, “We’re good. Is it ok if we raid the fridge later?”

 

            She nods. “Sure.  There’s left over snacks from the party in the pantry and the rest of your cake is down there.  If you need anything else, just pop in the studio and tell Dad. He’s working on a song he started writing with Nick.”

 

            I hug her again. “Mom, my party was…amazing. And I love my car!”

 

            She hugs me and I hear tears when she whispers, “I’m so proud of you Reese. You’re such a beautiful young lady. Happy Birthday.”

 

            After she leaves, I start bawling.  Calleigh hugs me. She’s crying too. “This has been a crazy year, huh?”

 

            I nod. “Calleigh, since we’re being all sentimental…I’m sorry for how I acted.  I was a lousy friend.”

 

            She shakes her head and says, “Well, as my Mom says, “Water under the bridge, Baby. Water under the bridge.”

 

            We both start laughing and fall back on the bed.  Calleigh will always be my very best friend. I’m lucky she’s also my cousin. I couldn’t pick a better family. And I wouldn’t want to.

Chapter End Notes:

Let us know what you think! :-)