- Text Size +

Daddies’ Girls

By Rachel

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 52

 

Calleigh

 

Ree and I spend the night talking about everything two teenage girls can talk about. Things finally seem back to normal, well as normal as they can be for our family.

 

“Leigh, I’m starving. Let’s go get some cake.” Reese jumps up from the bed.

 

“It’s three o’clock in the morning. How can you be hungry for cake?” I shake my head at her.

 

“Geesh, live a little.” She taps her foot impatiently.

 

I get up and take my time finding my slippers. I slip them on and follow Reese downstairs to the kitchen. The light is on and Uncle AJ’s head is inside the refrigerator. Reese puts a finger to her mouth telling me to be quiet. Slowly she walks up to her dad and grabs his arm. He jumps up quickly, hitting his head.

 

“What the hell, Reese?” He groans, as he rubs the top of his head. Reese is laughing uncontrollably.

 

“I couldn’t resist, Daddy.” She is still giddy, “Why are you lurking in the fridge? Shouldn’t you be in bed with mom?”

 

“I just came up from the studio. Your birthday cake was calling my name.” He smiles.

 

“Leave my cake alone. You need to watch your girlish figure.” She spouts off, good naturedly. I can’t help but laugh.

 

“You think that’s funny, Calleigh?” Uncle AJ asks with a twinkle in his eye.

“I sure do.” I chuckle. He walks over and ruffles my hair.

 

“I better go upstairs, so I can take care of Willow when she wakes up. Don’t stay up too long. You know you need your beauty sleep, Reese’s Pieces.”

 

“Shut up Daddy! You know I’m beautiful.” She smiles and bats her eyes.

 

“You’re both beautiful. All those hearts you’re going to break. Night girls.” He gives each of us a kiss and walks out leaving us to our cake.

 

“So, you want a piece?” Reese asks placing the cake on the island.

 

“I’ll take a small piece.”

 

Reese serves us each a piece of the delicious chocolate caramel banana cake. Aunt Aspen makes the best cakes and desserts. We sit quietly eating.

 

“Reese, do you think we’ll ever become famous for our voices?” I ask licking the icing off my fork.

 

Reese thinks before speaking. “I think we will or at least I hope we do.  I want to be as successful or at least half as successful as our dads. Can you see us going on tour and traveling the world?”

 

“That would be fun.” I can’t help but to catch Reese’s enthusiasm. “Getting to sing in front of huge crowds.”

 

“And tour buses with no parents.” Reese exclaims and we both giggle. I think no sleep and the sugar is starting to get to us. “Let’s go into the family room. I have something to show you.”

 

We quietly make our way into the family room. Reese takes out a DVD. When it starts; Reese and I are about nine and ten. We are singing and dancing to some Disney song. “Wow, Ree! I can’t believe you found this.”

 

“I know. It was like our first performance in front of the Backstreet family. Do you ever wish we could perform now?” Reese questions while starring at the TV.

“Yeah, but our parents want us to finish school. Education is important.” I comment quietly. The urge to perform is growing stronger as the days go by.

 

“True, but we’re like two of the smartest kids in school, besides Seth. He’s practically a genius. Just think if Dad never heard him sing, I’d still hate him.” She sighs dramatically.

 

“Everything happens for a reason.” I smile at her. “But our parents want us to finish high school before we take the leap into a singing career. My Dad graduated in a hotel room. He doesn’t want that for me. Plus, really it’s not that long until we graduate.”

 

Reese rolls her eyes at me as she shuts off the TV. She grabs a blanket and covers us both up. We lay on the couch relaxing. “Leigh, that’s two years. I don’t think I can wait that long. I want to sing.”

 

“Honestly, I do, too.” I agree.  

 

“We need to talk to our parents. We need to make them understand that we are serious about this.” Reese comments seriously. I am surprised that she is being so mature.

 

“Reese, I think that’s great, but what if they shoot us down. Our moms will want us to wait. They’ll tell that our voices will be better in two or three years. I don’t want to burst your bubble.”

 

“Leigh.” She cries. “It really sucks. Other teenagers are famous singers. Why won’t our parents let us?”

 

Reese is starting to get cranky. She needs to sleep. I’m getting tired myself. It’s been a great night, so I don’t want to get into an argument with her.

 

“Ree, maybe we can talk to our parents tomorrow. Let them know how serious we are about singing. They may say no, but at least they will know where we stand.” I attempt to be the voice of reason.

 

“I get it, but I know my dad will be on our side. I’ve heard him go round and round with my mom about it. He says we have a great future in the music biz. We’re more talented than any young singers out there.”

 

“Reese, let’s get some sleep. We can talk to our parents tomorrow.” I yawn.

 

“Fine, Leigh. Let’s get some beauty rest.” Within five minutes Reese is sound asleep.

 

Unfortunately, I’m wide awake. My brain is working overtime. My passion is singing. It’s all I’ve ever wanted to do. I want to take the big leap, but I know it’s not time yet. I can understand why our parents have concerns, but it’s a challenge to be patient.

 

It’s hard being in the place where you’re still a little girl and starting to become a woman. Sometimes I feel so independent and at other times I’m afraid of what is out in the world.  How do I know right from wrong, when life presents me with situations? I want to be mature enough to handle them on my own, but wise enough to know when I need my parents help.

 

Thinking back on everything that has happened this year, I know I am a stronger young woman. I can have my own opinion and have the confidence to express them in a grownup way. In my heart I believe Reese has matured into a beautiful young woman. I think we are both ready to take the world by storm. Watch out world, here comes Calleigh Carter and Reese McLean.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
Hope you have a Happy New Year. Let us know what you think.