- Text Size +

Daddies’ Girls

By Rachel

Copyright 2012

 

Epilogue

 

Brian

 

I walk into the studio where Nick and AJ are working with Seth and the girls. They sound terrific as a trio. Sadly, my mind isn’t on music. That’s the reason I came to talk to the guys.

 

“Hi Uncle Brian.” Reese runs up and gives me a hug. “This is Seth.”

 

“It’s nice to meet you.” I smile and shake his hand. Reese is certainly smitten with her boyfriend. Calleigh walks over and gives me a hug. “Hey, Leigh.”

 

AJ looks up at me with worry. I know I’m not myself at the moment. Things with Lilly are difficult at best. We aren’t seeing eye to eye. “Why don’t you call it a day? It’s still early. Here’s some money. Go see a movie.”

 

Reese looks at her dad like he has two heads, but grabs the money. I can’t help but chuckle. They gather their belongings and quickly run upstairs.

 

“So Rok, what’s bothering you? I haven’t seen you look this shitty in a while.” AJ teases, trying to lighten the mood. Nick raises his eyebrow at AJ.

 

“Haven’t felt this shitty in a long time.” I pause, collecting my thoughts before speaking again. “I can’t do the tour.”

 

“Why? What’s wrong? Is it Lilly?” Nick asks me as he sits beside me.

 

“She won’t even talk to me. We got into a heated argument this morning. Lils is refusing to talk to me.”

 

“What were you fighting about?” AJ asks walking over to sit down.

 

“Stupid stuff. First it started off about relocating to Los Angeles. Then she started in about the tour and leaving her. It just kept escalating until it got ridiculous.”  I say embarrassed.

 

Nick and AJ sat there in silence. I wonder what they were thinking. They’ve had issues in their marriage, so I know they are the best people to talk to about it. Their opinions and thoughts matter to me.

 

“Why doesn’t she want you to go on tour?” AJ asks curiously.

 

I sigh and lean back on the couch. “Lilly…she’s…she’s afraid that I’m going to find someone else. I told her over and over that there is no one else for me. Why can’t she realize I’m telling her the truth?”

 

“Rok, that sucks. I’m sorry that Lilly doesn’t believe you. Those damn Grey sisters are stubborn. They never want to listen.”  AJ scoffs and we all laugh.

 

“She still hung up on her past. We’ve been married for almost thirteen years. If her past was an issue, I would have been gone long ago. It pisses me off that she’s still brings it up.” I punch a pillow. My anger is getting the best of me.

 

“Hopefully counseling will help. I think it’s the best thing for both of you.” Nick comments thoughtfully. I know he’s thinking about him and Jade.

 

Nick and Jade have the strongest marriage I know. After what they’ve been through, they have mastered the art of communication. Hopefully Lilly and I can learn to communicate better with therapy. I love my wife more than life itself. I can’t live without her.

 

“How’s Adam dealing with all of this?”

 

“We try to keep him shielded from it, but I know he knows something is wrong. It’s only a matter of time before Lilly’s past career comes up. I dread that day.” I wring my hands.

 

“That’s going to suck…” AJ says before he’s interrupted by the kids running in.

 

“Daddy, daddy we’ve been offered a contract to sign with Dynamic Records.” Reese thrusts a piece of paper in AJ’s face. Calleigh and Seth have huge smiles on their face.

 

AJ reads the letter and passes it to Nick. They both look stunned. When the letter comes to me, I take my time reading it. It seems legit, but this is definitely a surprise.

 

“Wow! How did they even know about you?” AJ asks curiously. I can see the uncertainty in his face.

 

“Seth’s dad sent a copy of that song we recorded a few weeks ago. The company he works for does advertising for Dynamic. Can you believe they want us, Daddy?” Reese says excitedly, hugging her dad, “This is what I’ve always wanted.”

 

“Congrats, Calleigh!” Nick stands up and gives her a hug.

 

Reese runs over to Seth. He pulls her into his arms and starts kissing her. After a few minutes AJ breaks them apart. The kids are on cloud nine. It brings back fond memories of when Backstreet Boys got signed.

 

“Okay, we’re off to tell everyone the good news. Thanks to all of you for helping us.” Calleigh squeals. “We love you and are grateful for everything.”

 

They rush out of the studio in a flurry of excitement. I can hear the commotion upstairs. I look over at AJ and Nick. The look on their face is bittersweet. Life is about change for the McLean and Carter families.

 

“Wow. I don’t even know what to say.” AJ shakes his head.

 

Nick says, “I’m happy for them, but I’m not ready for this. Calleigh is just a little girl.”

 

“Nick, you were younger than Calleigh when we signed our record deal. I know you guys are excited and worried about this.” I stand up, “Reese and Calleigh have both of you to guide them. They are lucky to have the experience of their dads to help guide them in the right decoration.”

“I know. It’s just hard seeing her grow up.” Nick sighs and stands up.

 

“It’s their turn now. We’ve had so many years of success. Now it’s time to see our daughters live their dream.” AJ pulls Nick into a hug.

 

“You know they are going to be successful. They have beautiful voices and are more talented than most of the singers on the radio.”  I remind them.

 

“You’re right, Brian. I think it’s time for us to celebrate with the girls.” Nick smiles and heads upstairs.

 

“Brian, things are going to work out with you and Lilly. Right now it sucks, but both of you are willing to work on your marriage. Things will get better. Now call your wife and son. We have some celebrating to do.” AJ says as we make our way to the celebration in the great room. Life is going to be an exciting, crazy, bumpy ride for all of us, but I don’t think we would trade it for the world.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for going on a journey with Reese and Calleigh. Hope you enjoyed it.