- Text Size +

Daddies’ Girls

By Rachel

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 8

Calleigh

My parents let me take the day off from school. I was surprised because I had to be deathly ill in order to miss a day of school. Mom and Dad were worried about me and my friendship with Reese. Dad was dropping me off at Reese’s after he took Michael and Cameron to school.

“Things will work out, Pixie. AJ and I had many fights, and he’s still one of my best friends. It happens, and it’s not easy. I’m sorry is all Reese will need to hear.” He places a kiss on my cheek. “I’ll be over this afternoon to get you.”

“Thanks for the pep talk, Daddy.” I give him a smile. Then I get out and run inside the house.

“Hi, Calleigh!” Hayden, who’s four, runs over and gives me a hug. “Why aren’t you at school? Reese didn’t go to school either. Grammy Denise is driving me to school this morning and taking me to story hour.”

“That sounds like fun, Hayden. Is Ree in her room?”

“Yep. She’s so sad. All she does is cry, cry, cry.” She says dramatically.

“Well, I’m going to check on her. Have fun today.” I run up the stairs before any of the adults see me. I hear them in the kitchen talking about Reese.

For the first time in my life I was nervous to talk to my best friend. She was mad at me, and I didn’t blame her. Deep down I was mad at myself, even though I knew I did the right thing telling my parents.

I knock on the door, but she doesn’t answer. I knock a little louder. Still nothing. My stomach is in knots. I feel like I’m losing my best friend. I open the door slightly. Reese has her headphones on, so she can’t hear me. I breathe a sigh of relief. Slowly I walk in.

Reese stares at me for what seems like eternity. A sick feeling washes over me. I don’t know what to say. Without a care in the world, she takes off the headphones and places them on her desk.

“Are you okay?” I ask quietly while staring down at her lime green carpet.

“Not really.” She pauses and sits down on her bed. “Things pretty much suck worse than ever. Did you know Jake transferred to a different school? Now, I’ll never get to see him.”

I take a seat next to her. I try to relate to her, but I can’t. I’ve never been in love with a boy. “Ree, I know that you’re heart is breaking, but maybe Jake isn’t the right guy for you.”

“What would you know about? You’re afraid of boys. I see the way you act around boys. It’s pathetic. You get all uptight when a boy asks you for a pencil. You’re such a prude, Leigh.” Reese replies harshly. My feelings are hurt.

I don’t say anything. She’s telling the truth about me. I can’t help that I’m shy and focused on my singing. Boys just aren’t important to me yet.

“Ree, I’m trying to be a friend. I’m sorry you don’t like what I have to say, but you’ve changed since you started dating Jake. It’s like you’ve become a first class bitch. I might be naïve when it comes to guys, but at least I don’t throw myself at any guy that pays attention to me.” Where I got my confidence to stand up to Reese, I don’t know. I was sick of her playing the victim.

“Now who’s the bitch?” Reese stares at me for what seems like forever. I relax when I see her crack a smile. “Leigh, I think that’s first time I’ve heard you cuss. I like this new Calleigh. It’s about time you stood up for yourself.”

Reese pulls me in for a hug. We stay there a long time; I feel her tears falls against my face and mix with mine. I’m not sure how long we stay this way, but it feels therapeutic.

“Leigh, I’m sorry I keep taking it out on you. It just hurts so much.” Ree falls to the bed. “I don’t know if I’ll ever get over him. Jake didn’t even tell me about switching schools. He could have at least texted me.”

“Well, then he’s a jackass. You deserve to be treated like a princess.” I thought about it for a minute. “Maybe you should give him some time. It can’t be easy on Jake. He’s left all his friends and you behind. He’s no longer in the band. I’m sure your dad scared the crap out of him with all that talk about jail.”

“I want to be positive about it, but I keep thinking the worst. I’ve bit my nails down. Look.” Reese shoves her fingers in my face. I swear she has ADHD. “I need a manicure.”

I start giggling. Reese joins me. It feels good to laugh after everything that’s happened. “Want me to paint your nails while we talk?”

“Sure. Let me grab my new polish.” Reese runs to her bathroom. She comes out with a brand new bottle. “Here you go.”

I look at the bottle and blush. “Who comes up with these titles?”

“You mean you don’t like Lick Me Lilac.” Reese chuckles.

I start painting Reese’s nails; she is quiet so I know something is on her mind. I worry about her when she keeps stuff to herself. It’s not healthy.

“Ree, what’s bothering you?” I ask full of concern. She’s already hurting enough. I don’t want to see her going through any more pain.

“Leigh, have…have you ever been to the gynecologist?” She asks with her eyes cast down.

“No!” I turn red. “Most women don’t until there older, like in college.”

“Oh.” Reese sounds defeated.

“The only person I know our age who went it Shelby Waterford, but that’s cause she got pregnant.”

“Oh fuck!” Reese whispers. I can see that she’s pale. “I hate my life. I hate my mom.”

“Ree, what’s wrong?” I’m in a tizzy again. I cap the bottle of nail polish.

“She’s making me go to the gynecologist tomorrow. She doesn’t believe me. I told her I haven’t had sex, and she doesn’t believe me.”  Reese starts to hyperventilate.

“Calm down.” I rub her back. “I know you don’t want to go. I wouldn’t either. The thing is Ree, if you go and get checked out; you’ll prove to your parents that you haven’t had umm…sex.”

“I know. You’re right.” She whimpers. “It’s just so embarrassing. No one’s ever touched me down there and some icky doctor is going to. Why can’t my parents trust me?”

Before I have a chance to speak, I hear a knock on the door. Reese wipes her eyes. “Who is it?” She asks.

“It’s Mom. Lunch is ready. See you and Calleigh in a few minutes.” Aunt Aspen calls through the door.

“Reese, please don’t let this get you down. Things will get better. You have to believe it. I promise to be by your side.” I wrap myself around her. “I’m sorry for ratting you out. I shouldn’t have. Friends don’t do that. Please don’t hate me. You’re the only best friend I have.”

“Calleigh, I know. I think I’m more hurt than mad. I know I’ll get over it. We’re best friends forever.” She pulls away. “We better get downstairs before mom sends dad up. Go downstairs while I freshen up.”

We both get up and Reese grabs her phone. I know she’s going to do something she regrets. “What are you doing?”

“I’m sending Jake a text. I need to hear from him.” She sighs as she starts to type.

I roll my eyes. Apparently, she hasn’t learned from her mistakes. “That’s only going to get both of you in trouble. What if Jake gets sent to jail? They can use those texts against him. ”

“Leigh, you don’t understand. I love him. I want to be with him in every way, including having sex. Please don’t say anything. We’re not sexting. I just told him I missed him.” She looks at me with a hard stare. “Please don’t say anything.”

I’m between a rock and a hard place. I know this is wrong, but I can’t betray Reese again. I wouldn’t want her to break my trust. I decide being a best friend is more important than being a tattletale. “Fine. I don’t like it, but I’m going to pray that you stop this crazy behavior. I don’t want you to get hurt or in trouble, but if things get out of hand, I’m going to have to tell my mom and dad.”

“Thanks, Leigh! You’re the best. I promise nothing is going to happen. Just relax about it.” She sets her phone on the desk. “I’m starving. Let’s go eat lunch.”