- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I swear, I am reading EVERY review and I appreciate it.  I will answer each one as soon as I get a day off, I promise!!!!  

 

Daddies' Girls

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 31

 

Reese

 

            I get out of the car, looking around for my Dad. Uncle Nick sees me and pulls me into the bear hug he has going on with Calleigh and says, "You're dad's on his way, Reese. His car wouldn't start."  He steps back and whistles. "You two leave little girls and come back beautiful women. I don't think I can take it."

 

            Calleigh beams at his praise, but I just blush.  "Thanks Uncle Nick. Listen, I'm sorry about..."

 

            He puts his fingers over my lips and says, "Nothing to be sorry about, Reese. You and Calleigh are growing up and as much as I hate it, I have to let it happen. You're my niece and I love you. That won't change."

 

            I hug him again and whisper, "Thanks Uncle Nick."

 

            Mom opens the door as she's asking, "Nick, how's AJ getting here?"

 

            Uncle Nick keeps his arm around Calleigh and says, "Seth's gonna drop him off.  I have some music here for him to practice."

 

            I watch Calleigh gently scoop Jasmine out of her swing to hug her as I scowl. "I just can't believe you're working with HIM Uncle Nick."

 

            Uncle Nick laughs. "He did tell us he thought you hated him. Care to tell me why?"

 

            I blush and walk over to look at Jasmine. "I don't hate him. I just don't...like him."

 

            Mom kisses my temple and says, "No one said you had to, Sweetie, but Dad's working with him a lot. Maybe try to be civil, ok? For Dad?"

 

            I nod and sigh. "Sure thing Mom. I can do that."

 

 

            Half an hour later, after having my turn holding Jasmine, I hear Mom yell up to Calleigh's room, "Reese, your dad's here!"

 

            I'm so excited to see Daddy that I drop the controller for the video game I'm playing with Calleigh and run from the room. I know she's following me, but I don't wait.  I fly down the stairs and throw myself into my dad's arms, squealing, "Daddy!"

 

            He hugs me tight and whispers, "Reese's Pieces you finally came home!"

 

            I laugh as he turns me loose. "I missed you Daddy."

 

            He kisses my forehead and says, "I bet I missed you more." Turning slightly, he says, "I think you know Seth."

 

            I look over at Seth. Wow, he's changed a lot!  At school he always seemed to be the perfect nerd, but now...he's wearing a black t-shirt and jeans and from the looks of things, he's been lifting weights. Has he always had muscles?  And where's his glasses.  Why is he smiling at me like a goof?  "Hey Seth," I manage to mutter.

 

            His grin gets bigger. "Nice to see you again, Reese. Looks like you got some sun."

 

            As his eyes float over my body, I shiver. From behind me, I hear Calleigh say, "Hey Seth, Dad tells me you're the next big star."

 

            He chuckles and says, "Hey Leigh...not sure about that, but it's fun working with them."

 

            Trying to sound grown up, I say, "I didn't know you were into singing Seth. I thought you were strictly into ACADEMICS."

 

            He has the audacity to say, "If you paid more attention to those around you Reese, you'd know I've been in the Glee Club since seventh grade." Turning to my dad, he says, "Thanks, Mr. McLean. I better get home. I have a lot to do tonight."

 

            Uncle Nick walks over and hands him a stack of papers. "Here's the music I was telling you about. I have other copies so you can keep those."

 

            He shakes Uncle Nick's hand and says, "Thanks. I appreciate it Mr. Carter. Good night."

 

            After he leaves, Dad says, "Reese, you weren't very friendly toward him. He was nothing but nice."

 

            Before I can say anything, Mom says, "AJ, they just don't get along so well." Looking at me, she says, "Thank you for keeping things civil, Reese."

 

I sigh and say, "No problem."

 

Aunt Jade comes in and says, "Let's eat everyone. Then the girls have a surprise for their dad's.

 

            I can't help being nervous. Will Daddy like how we recorded The Perfect Fan? Or is he so screwed into Seth he won't care?

 

 

            I'm as nervous as I can be as Calleigh and I finish cleaning the kitchen. I had insisted we do it and Calleigh jumped right in with me. When our parents left the room, she said, "What's wrong Reese? You're so jumpy!"

 

            I shrug my shoulders slightly. "I don't know, Calleigh. I was excited about playing the song for them, but now...I'm scared. What if they don't like it?"

 

            Her mouth drops open as she stares at me. "I never thought...ok, now I'M nervous about it!"

 

            From behind us, Aunt Jade says, "Why are you nervous? What's the big secret?"

 

            I turn as she comes fully into the room. "We just...Uncle Brian helped us with a surprise. I...we just want Dad and Uncle Nick to like it."

 

            She grabs a container from the refrigerator and makes a bottle for Jasmine. "Girls, Nick and AJ adore you. And if your surprise is what I think it is, I don't think you have a thing to worry about." She checks the bottle and says, "Brian's on the phone. He wanted to be part of this."

 

            Calleigh nudges my arm. "Let's go do this Reese!" She turns to Aunt Jade. "Mom, can I feed Jasmine?"

 

            Aunt Jade smiles and replies, "Why do you think I made a bottle this time?"

 

            Calleigh hugs her mom before grabbing the bottle and bolting from the room. Aunt Jade looks at me and says, "You ok, Reese?"

 

            I manage to nod. "Just worried I'm good enough, Aunt Jade."

 

            She hugs me tightly and whispers, "Reese, stop.  You are who you're meant to be and we are all proud of you. Especially your Dad. In his eyes, you walk on water. Don't ever doubt how proud we all are of you."

 

            I feel tears sting my eyes. "But Aunt Jade, I caused so many problems."

 

            She puts her arm around me and whispers. "No you didn't. Things happen the way they happen. You didn't cause anything.  You're growing up and it's ok."

 

            I hug her tightly and cry.  From the doorway, I hear my Dad. "What's wrong Reese?"

 

            Aunt Jade winks at me. "Nothing. We're just having a girl moment."

 

            She leaves and Dad says, "Seriously, everything ok?"

 

            I nod, "Yeah, it is. Come on, Dad. We have a surprise for you."

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Love to know what you think!! :)