- Text Size +
Before: Peyton Not As In Manning

Ashley

Chris and I were laying on the couch. He was watching baseball, I was just enjoying being cuddled and feeling safe. I'd been running my finger tip along the pattern of his shirt, back-to the TV, just thinking for the longest time. It had been almost a week of working on wedding plans with Nick and he had yet to complain. He'd gone through countless stationary options and color swatches with me, and he'd even sat right here on this very couch Googling hairstyles with me while we watched reruns of Welcome Back Kotter on DVD.

I moved my face so I was looking up at Chris' stubbly chin. I kissed it. "Baby," I whispered.

"Yeah?" he asked. He shifted his attention from the TV to focus on me. "What's the matter?"

"I was thinking, we need to do something nice for Nick."

Chris looked confused, "Why?"

"Because he's been such a big help with all the wedding plans and stuff." Chris made a face. "No really, he has," I said, "He's been here everyday this week helping me with making choices and researching stuff for me. I really think we owe him one."

"He owes you more than he could ever pay you back," Chris replied. Then, "I think he's spending too much time with you anyways. It's kind of creepy."

I laughed, "Creepy? Chris, he's my best friend. What do you think he's gonna do?"

Chris was silent for a long moment. Then, "I don't know. Just I don't like that he's always here when I come home. He's seen you more this week than I have and I'm the one you're marrying, remember?"

I smiled, "Are you jealous, Christopher?" I teased.

Chris grunted.

"You are. Oh my God." I sat up, and looked down at him. "You have nothing to be jealous of."

Chris studied me for a long moment, then let out a low sigh. He moved his hands, beckoning me back into our snuggle and I dropped back and rolled into him once more, pressing my cheek against his chest. "Maybe I should hook him up with someone," I said aloud.

"That idea I like," Chris said. "Hook him up with that girl you work with, the one with hips."

"Karen isn't his type," I said.

"Why? Because she's fat? You'd think his standard would be a little lower," Chris said, "Considering he's scarface and all."

"Don't be an ass," I said. That seemed to be a scolding that I had to use a lot around Chris and Nick lately. "And her weight has nothing to do with why she isn't his type. She just isn't. She wouldn't think it's cute when he's arrogant or put up with it when he gets all immature."

"At least you're aware he's arrogant," Chris said.

"And besides, Karen lost like a hundred pounds in the last year."

"I haven't seen her since that play thing you put on two Christmases ago that Nick dragged me to," he admitted.

I remembered the play he was talking about. I'd spent the better part of the month prepping my students to put on a pee-wee production of A Christmas Carol. I remembered Nick coming, he'd brought candy canes for all the kids. But for the life of me I did not remember Chris having been there. I was not about to tell him that.

"Anyways, she won't work," I said, ending the discussion.

"What about that girl who lives down the hall. The one who always forgets her key."

"I don't know her name. I call her Holly Golightly because thats what she reminds me of," I answered, shrugging.

"Well she's kinda hot," Chris shrugged, "Is she good enough for Nick?"

I mused. "Maybe. I'll have to investigate it and find out." I grinned and snuggled tighter to him, "I just feel like he contributed such a big portion to us getting together, in a way, and to our wedding plans that I owe him."

"Yeah just remember you don't owe him too much," Chris said quietly.




Nick

The next day when I went to Ashley's she eagerly let me up and met me right at the door. She pushed her way out, bringing the door mostly closed behind her. "What the --"

"I have a girl here," she whispered.

I pointed at the knob, "I missed your sock on the door, man," I joked. I raised an eyebrow, "What the hell are you talking about?"

"She's a girl and she wants to meet you," Ashley clarified. "Don't get too excited with your wingdinger Carter."

"I wasn't, I just was ki--"

"Her name is Peyton."

"As in Manning?"

"No as in Peyton. Now be cool."

I tossed my hair, "I'm always cool."

"Nick."

"Okay. Relax," I laughed.

Ashley opened the door slowly, "Oh Peyton, look who's here? I swear, you speak of the devil and he appears..." she smiled, awkwardly closing the door behind me as I walked in around her. I waved. "Peyton, this is Nick. Nick, Peyton."

"Hey," Peyton said. She was shorter than Ashley with a wooly ball of blonde hair that made me think of a poodle.

"Hey," I replied.

"Tea anyone? I'd love some. Be right back." Ashley hustled out of the room.

I looked at Peyton. She looked at me. I glanced at the kitchen door where Ashley had disappeared off to. I could hear her clinking around out there. I stepped closer to the chair where Peyton was sitting. "Sorry about this," I said.

Peyton smiled, "It's okay."

I glanced back at the kitchen where Ashley had just gone, then tossed myself to the couch on the end closest to Peyton. "Look, I'm gonna level with you. I don't know what Ashley told you about me and being single, but I'm kind of... trying to get with someone right now."

"Aw," Peyton pouted, "Too bad, you're a cutie." She shrugged, "Oh well, a penny not invested is a penny... not... lost... or something like that."

"I'm glad you understand."

"What's the girl like?"

I glanced at the kitchen again. "She's perfect," I said.

Peyton followed my gaze. "You know she's engaged, right?"

I nodded. "I'm her Maid of Honor."

Peyton smirked. "Then I guess you know. How did that happen?"

"We were best friends," I replied, "All our lives. And... I just never said it."

Peyton nodded. "The classic story," she said, "I hope it ends well for you."

"Me too."

Ashley came back into the room carrying three cups of water on a tray stacked with about fifteen boxes of tea. "I didn't know what kind you'd want." She put the tray on the coffee table, "Cream! Sugar! Be right back." She ducked away again.

"So she has no idea."

"Well," I shrugged, "I said it once, but I don't know if she heard me or not."

Peyton smiled a little, sadly reassuring smile. "You gotta just tell her, before it's too late."

"I know."