- Text Size +
After: The Newlyweds

Nick

I walked her down the aisle.

It was Here Comes the Bride, but it felt like a death march.

People looked at us with soft looks of adoration.

She floated beside me like the angel she is.

Chris stood in front of me, grinning, gloating. I stopped at the front of the church, Ashley's hand slipped into mine. I stared into her eyes for a long moment, my throat catching. And more than anything I wanted her to open her mouth right there and tell me she'd changed her mind.

She didn't.

I took her hand... and I put it into Chris's hand.

And I walked away.

No, I ran away.

I don't know what everyone in that church must've thought as I put Ashley's hand in Chris's and then bolted out of the church. I burst through the doors into the hall, through the front doors into the sunlight outside and I stumbled down the steps and sat on the grass that ran along the edge of the walkway out to the street. The air smelled like ocean. I curled up, my face against my knee. I struggled to get up and staggered to the bushes that lined the front of the church and I threw up.

The church doors opened and I felt a hand on my back.

"Nick, honey."

I looked up into Rochelle's eyes. "Did she do it?" I choked.

"I'm out here with you, aren't I?" she asked. She rubbed my back. "Oh honey." She stroked my spine as I turned back to the bush and wretched more.

The door burst open again. Footsteps on the stairs made me look up. But it was just AJ. "Fuck, Nick, I can't believe you did that. I had eighty riding on you pulling a Swifty," he said.

I threw up again.

"I can't believe you bet on that," Rochelle groaned.

"I told you I was gonna."

"AJ you have no cooth."

"Who the fuck needs cooth, I almost had $160!"

"Nick," Rochelle was turned back to me.

I swiped my mouth with the back of my hand. "Get me the fuck out of here," I said thickly.

"Okay," Rochelle said. She turned to AJ. "Get the car."

"Getting the car," AJ replied, and he trotted off.

Rochelle turned back to me. "Nick... it's gonna be okay," she whispered, kneeling down.

I shook my head. "Nothing is going to be okay ever again."

Rochelle hugged me tightly to her and I let her, though I didn't have it in me to wrap my arms around her in return. AJ pulled the car up along side the corner of the church, and Rochelle led me across the grass to the car.

As we were climbing in, the church doors opened one last time.

And everyone inside came out, following Chris and Ashley.

The newlyweds.

Chapter End Notes:
BEFORE YOU KILL ME.................
THERE IS ANOTHER STORY COMING!!!!!

*cowers in a corner from all the attacks I am about to get.*