- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry, it's been awhile.  Happy Easter everyone.  Please let me know if you're reading.

Part 4

A few days later, I found myself hanging out with Brooke, my best friend.  Pajamas, pizza, popcorn and a couple of movies.  We’re such partiers.

The night was exactly what I needed.  After my conversation with Howie, I couldn’t get Jack out of my mind.  And I really didn’t want to think about that time in my life right now.

Brooke fiddled with the DVD player.  “I really need a new one of these things,”  she said and took the DVD out and blew on it and put it back.

“I don’t think that will help anything.”  I grabbed the popcorn bowl and headed toward the kitchen to fill it up. 

“Why not?”  she called after me.  “It worked for Nintendo games.  Those are kind of like movies. You watch them.” 

I finished pouring popcorn into the bowl and went back to the living room.  Brooke had successfully started the DVD player this time.

“See, it worked.”

I just shook my head.  She settled next to me on the couch and grabbed a piece of pizza as the movie began.  She’d rented some sort of romantic comedy from Netflix.  Something about the two main characters hating each other and then falling in love with each other.  It’s a fine line between love and hate and all that.  I barely paid attention to it.  My mind was elsewhere.

The Doroughs hadn’t called about the project yet, and I really wanted to be the one to do it.  It was all I could think about lately because I really wanted a project that big.

My phone rang and I ignored the look Brooke gave me when I answered it.  We had rule about no phone calls during our girls nights, but I really needed to know if I got this job.   Since I didn’t recognize the number, I hoped it would be about project.

“Hello.”

“Macy?  Macy Carson?”  I wasn’t sure if I recognized the voice.

“Yes, this is her.”

I heard a sigh of relief on the other end, “This is Howie Dorough.”

“Hi…” I started.

He rushed on with, “I’ve been arrested.  I know this is a strange request, but could you contact my brother and come down to the station?”

“Howie, what?  Arrested?  Why me?  What about your band mates?  Friends?”

Brooke had paused the movie and was watching me.  I had started pacing the living room like I always did when I was nervous.

“I want to talk to someone who might understand.  I don’t want the guys to know yet.”   I assumed the “guys” he referred to were his band mates.

“James?”  I asked, not knowing how to form the question.

“He’s safe. He’s with Kevin.”

“And this Kevin doesn’t know where you are?”

“No.  Please, I don’t have much time.  Will you call my brother and come down here?”

“What are you in for?”

“Assaulting an officer.  He insulted my wife.”

I didn’t need to hear anymore.  “Yeah, I’ll come down.  You owe me.”

“I know.  I’ll have Jon send you a contract as soon as this mess is over.”

A few minutes later, I had the information I needed to call Jon and the address of the station where Howie was. I called Jon, who wasn’t in California so he couldn’t get to the station, but he was able to make arrangements for Howie’s bail. 

 I didn’t bother to change out of my pjs as I gathered my things to go.

“Where are you going?”  Brooke asked.

“A client is in trouble.  I have to help them.”

“I heard.  When did you acquire a client that lands himself in jail?”

“He’s just having a hard time.  He’s not…”  I stopped when I realized I really didn’t know what kind of guy he was, but I’d never heard of him getting arrested before.

“And he’s not your problem.  I heard you on the phone.  He has a brother, he has friends, he has a band.  Why can’t one of them help him?  Why do you need to get involved?”

“I know what he’s going through.  He just lost his wife.  And…”

Brooke looked at me.    “I’m not going to be able to change your mind?”

I shook my head. 

“You’re not going alone.   Not at this time of night,” she said and gathered her things too.

In the car, I asked her, “About this client of mine, how do you feel about the Backstreet Boys?”

Her eyes went wide.  “Oh My God!   He’s that Howie?”

I nodded.

“I would have had your ass out the door sooner if you would have told me that.  I was like a huge fan of theirs when I was younger.  I still buy their CDs when they come out with a new one.”

“In other words, you know more about them than I do?”  I said.

“Yes, country girl, I probably do.”

“Howie’s wife?”  I asked.  I know I could have searched gossip sites to find out, but I hadn’t felt like doing that.  I wasn’t sure if I should ask her since Howie hadn’t told me, but it had to be public record now.

“Leigh.  She was beautiful.  I think I read something about a car accident.”

Like Jack I thought.  One moment he was here and in the next he wasn’t.  If only he hadn’t been driving… I shook my head.  I didn’t want to think about it.

We didn’t say another word until we got to the police station.

Howie was quiet once we got him out of the station and away from prying eyes.   There were a few cameras flashing outside.  Word was starting to get out that a Backstreet Boy had been arrested.  We shielded our faces the best we could and ignored all questions as we made it to my car.

“I’m sorry I got you into this mess,” Howie said.  “This is a mess.  I should have called my manager or something.  I’m so sorry,”  he said again as we pulled out of the station as cameras flashed at us.

“I’m the one who said to call if you ever needed anything.”  We were finally on a main road and it didn’t appear that anyone was following us.  At least not yet and I hoped there wouldn’t be any anytime soon.

“I’m pretty sure this isn’t what you had in mind.”

“Not really, but I’m here now.  Where are we headed?”

Howie sat in the back seat and looked like he wanted to disappear.  He seemed ashamed of whatever had happened that had got him arrested.  Brooke sat in the front passenger seat wide-eyed.  She hadn’t said much of anything since we got to the station.

“I can take you to my place if you a place to lay low,” I said.

Howie looked like he wanted to agree to that, but said instead, “I would love lay low, but I need to get to James.  And by now, the guys have probably heard about what happened, especially with those paparazzi outside of the station. “  He rubbed his face in his hands.

“How do we get to James?”  I asked.

“We go to Kevin’s.  He is so going to have my hide.  Why couldn’t I control my temper with the cop?”  I ignored Howie’s question as he continued to give me directions on how to get to Kevin’s place.