- Text Size +
After: Take Me With You


Ashley

I felt terrified and excited all at once. I knew he was there. Right there, right beside me, pressing his hand to mine. "I know I can feel you," I ammended. I felt tears squeeze out of my eyes and stream across my face. "What does it mean? ...Am I dying, too?" My voice was below even a whisper. Only the hard constenants seemed to make a sound, popping against my tongue in the dark.

I'd heard stories about people who died that said they saw their loved ones just before it happened. Then there were near death experiences like Nick and I had where you experience some sort of heaven, meet someone there you know. Someone to welcome you. Was this my welcome? Was Nick here to bring me back with him?

Would it be so bad if he was?

I didn't dare to move my hand, afraid that the feeling would go.

"Nick..." I whispered into the dark, "Am I dying?"

But of course no answer came.

"I'm not afraid," I said, "If I am. Because you're here."

The feeling stopped, the tingling in my palm that had been him. I closed my eyes and lowered my hand. I rolled onto my back, stared up at the ceiling.

"Don't go without me," I whispered. "Take me with you."

I waited.

But nothing happened. And the feeling of him didn't come back.




Nick

I stood by the window, staring, afraid. Was she dying? Was I killing her somehow with my presence? Was I making it worse, harder for her, by being here? I didn't dare go nearer, even when she cried into the dark, begging me to come back.

"I'm sorry," I said from across the room.

There was a selfish part of me, the part that actually wanted her to somehow join me, even if that did mean she had to die. It's not that bad, this dying stuff, I decided. It didn't hurt or anything.

And if she joined me we'd just be together, forever.

And really that's all I'd ever wanted: was to just be together.