- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

a little lighter than previous chapters, we need a little break, I guess

 

enjoy

  1. Surprise Destination

“Have you even bothered to give that shoulder a little rest since the last time you came here, mister Carter?” The doctor watched him sternly and Nick winced when he pressed a particular sore spot.

“Maybe,” Nick muttered meaninglessly.

“No, he has not,” Leighanne tattled shamelessly. Nick rolled his eyes, irritated. Why she even insisted to go with him on this check-up, was beyond him. Why he ever agreed on it, was even further away. He guessed she could just be really persistent sometimes. Brian and Baylee hadn’t been much help either. Ever since Harold had left, they’d been terribly mysterious towards Nick, which made the blond man assume they had something up their sleeve. He didn’t like that in the least. Whatever they’d been planning secretly, Nick just hoped he was gonna like it.

He only listened half to the warnings about permanent damage and surgical consequences. How could he even think about broken shoulders when there was so much else going on? He just nodded gallantly at the doctor every once in a while, hoping he was able to go home before dinner. Up until now it didn’t look like it. Suddenly he heard Leighanne telling the doctor about neglected exercises and forced labour. He turned around, incredulous, and shot her a heated look that clearly told her to shut the hell up. It was almost as if she was trying to keep them there as long as possible.

Dr Patmen looked angry and Nick shrunk even lower in his seat. If looks could kill, Leighanne would have been dead about a thousand times now.

“We’ll need to make new x-rays then,” Patmen said sourly. If looks could kill, Leighanne would have been dead about a thousand and one times now.

 

February 2013

To say he was nervous, would say the least. He touched the small box in his pocket, just to be sure and breathed. He was actually gonna do this. His heart was already beating like mad and they weren’t even on their way yet. Faintly, he heard his girlfriend giggling excitedly in the background. By the end of the day, he hoped, he’d have her updated to fiancée. If only this fucking boat would start…

“Honey, I’m so excited! Where are we going?” Lauren asked in a high voice. She must be expecting something. He’d kidnapped her out of bed extremely early that morning, saying he was gonna  take her out sailing. He’d never done that before. He hadn’t been on a boat for nearly six years, and his vessel agreed with that fact. Maybe he should have let it get checked out before he actually started using it again, but he’d never been a real star in planning things ahead. And as he looked at the engine right now, he feared he was gonna have to cancel the entire event. Maybe it still works…

 

November 2015

“Thanks a lot Leighanne…” he grumbled sourly on the way home.

“What?” she asked absentmindedly.

“Well, did you have to tell him about the shoulder?”

“It’s true, isn’t it? You need to take better care of yourself, Nick,” she stated without looking at him.

“And what makes you think that I need your help?” he spat. Finally after three hours, he’d been allowed to go back home. Home. Only two weeks, and it already felt like he’d spent years there. Leighanne did not seem in a hurry, as she took the longest route imaginable to get to their destination. Nick wondered if he should say something, but decided to keep his mouth shut.

“Alright,” Leighanne spoke after a few minutes and she finally looked at him. Nick could see the wide smile on her face and the bright sparkle in her eyes. Staring at her, he couldn’t help but feel a little suspicious.

“What?” he drawled nervously.

“Well, let’s just say the boys have a little surprise for you back home,” she explained with a grin. The way she said ‘surprise’ made Nick’s heart hammer in his throat.

“Oh dear God no,” he mumbled to himself and heard Leighanne laugh softly. He knew Brian often meant well, but his surprises scared the crap out of Nick most of the time. Even worse, there was always someone that ended up hurt whenever Brian planned a surprise. Usually Nick was the one with the bad luck.

“Don’t worry, you’re gonna love it,” she emphasized on ‘love’. It did nothing to calm his nerves.

 

February 2013

Thankfully, thankfully, the boat had cooperated up ‘til this far. The weather was perfect, the day was perfect. Nothing could go wrong. Breathing in the salty ocean-air, he looked over his shoulder, at his soon to be fiancée. She had no idea what they were doing or where they were going, but seemed to enjoy the sun, lying prone on the deck of the boat, in nothing but a bikini. Feeling a flash of excitement, he wondered how she would react if he just ripped the lingerie off of her. Not yet, Carter. Keep yourself under control, Carter.

Suddenly he felt the ship jerk violently and saw Lauren’s head shoot up, bewildered.

“What’s going on?” she asked anxiously.

Cursing the boat inwardly, he tried to smile his there’s-nothing-to-worry-about-smile. “Nothing, baby, probably just the engine,” he murmured sweetly. Work with me a little, you piece of crap, he thought slamming the wheel. Apparently, the vessel took his insult personally and gave one last jolt before the engine went completely silent. I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it like that, sweetheart!

“I guess I’ll just have to go and take a look,” he suggested weakly, afraid his knowledge of boat-engines would probably not reach far enough. Being lost at sea was not his idea of a perfect proposal.

After half an hour of useless experimenting, he stiffly lifted himself upright. Defeated he stared at the engine for a few more minutes before finally giving up. Glancing at his girlfriend, who lay carelessly spread on the deck once again, he smiled. She never seemed to panic about anything, and that was good. Cause you needed to be unable to panic if you wanted to live with Chaos.

I could just try and reboot the thing… shouldn’t hurt, he decided, walking to the steering area again. Without warning, Lauren popped up next to him and he jumped a mile up in the air.

“Did I scare you?” she giggled. “What is it with you, you seem a little nervous today…”

“Oh I’m fine! Perfect! You didn’t scare me,” he claimed with a tough smile.

“Oh, I just love it when you’re al sweaty,” she admired, softly touching his bare shoulders. He felt a shiver of pleasure wash over him. It had nothing to do with the breezy air. Could I be more in love?

Turning the keys, he felt a shock travel through the boat. After five more tries, the engine finally seemed to come alive again. Smirking triumphantly, he couldn’t believe his good luck.

“Say, why are you a singer and not a sexy, sweaty mechanic?” Lauren wondered jokingly.

“Because I make more money as a singer,” he boasted, steering the boat towards their destination.

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

hope you liked it! Please review for more, thanks!