- Text Size +
Prologue


"You cannot tell anybody what I am about to tell you. Not ever. Do you understand me?"

I nodded.

Nick Carter's hair was long enough to hang in his eyes, but not too long. His eyes peered through the strands that crossed his face and caught on the bridge of his nose. He stared into my eyes, his blue eyes were seriously intense. His lips parted, about to drop the bombshell of words that would alter everything I thought I knew about him.

In the silence that followed the words curling and twisting from his mouth, I felt as though I'd inhaled them. Toxic in my throat, my muscles clenched all the way down to my stomach and I felt sick. I stared up at him.

He pulled away, his face drawing back from my face. He straightened his suit as he straightened his spine, and he sniffed just a little bit, looked around, his jaw setting and said, in a level, purposeful voice, "I guess that's it, then. Good night." He walked away.

I stood there staring after him, at the wake of space that he cut through the crowd as he moved, the scent of him still hanging in the air. My hands shook. I turned and grabbed a passing glass of champagne, downing it quick so the bubbles would go straight to my head and take away my consciousness.

Since then, I have thought of a million things I could've said to him that night. Things that would've changed everything. But I didn't say any of them. Instead I got raging drunk.

It was the biggest mistake of my life.

Other than maybe when I took the job in the first place, of course.