- Text Size +
Chapter Twenty


I didn't move. Even after Nick had pulled back, leaped up out of the couch area, and hovered behind me with his phone to his ear, I still lingered, still waiting, dreaming that somehow the moment would be returned to once he was done with the phone. Our lips had been so close to touching that I could feel the aura of his presence, the static electricity moving between the surface of my mouth and the surface of his. I had been breathing his breath.

When I finally convinced myself that he wasn't going to magically reappear, I glanced back at him. He was pacing nervously in front of the double french doors that led out into the backyard. I could see through them that the moon was shining off the swimming pool and the ocean beyond that. I wondered whether he'd ever seen and really fully appreciated the beauty of the view his home afforded him. Nick caught my eyes and he moved the phone from his face and mouthed it's Cora.

Figures.

I got up and picked up his empty KFC bucket and the two empty bottles of soda pop. The Red Vines were halfway gone, the popcorn mostly gone. I carried everything out to the kitchen as Nick's voice echoed around the house. I was cleaning up the mess in the kitchen when Nick appeared in the door way. "I have a favor to ask you," he said.

"What's that?" I asked.

He licked his lips, "So your, uh, your friend - the one that's gonna dance at the party?"

"Addison," I supplied.

Nick nodded, "Yeah, her. Would she be interested in auditioning to open for Cora?" he asked.

"I think she'd sell her soul to the devil to audition for Cora," I replied, "And that may be understating it."

Nick laughed, "Well here's the thing... Cora's really in desperate need and she's frustrated right now. I guess a lot of the people auditioning for her right now really suck. So... she was just asking if I knew anybody... and I told her about your friend."

"Addison's gonna shit," I said.

"Here's the thing." Nick tapped his fingers together. "Cora's doing the auditions now." He stared at me.

I paused. "So you need Addison now is what you're saying."

Nick nodded.

I scrambled for my phone. Addie was going to have a panic attack not being able to prepare, I thought, but she'd kill me if she didn't get to have this opportunity. I quickly thumbed out her phone number and waited.

"Addison's phone," a squeaky young voice answered.

"Hey, who's this?"

"I'm Meghan," came the reply, "Addison's on stage." She laughed.

"When she gets off stage tell her to call Sam, okay? Tell her it's vitally important and that I'm on my way over." I hung up on Meghan and turned to Nick. "She's at work. I'll have to go get her."

Nick grabbed a set of keys off the counter. "C'mon, I'll drive."

"Should you bring Cora's purse?" I suggested.

Nick glanced at it. "Nawh. She can come get it herself."

I realized after we were already on the highway and Nick's terrible driving was terrifying me once more that I should've insisted I drove. I clutched the arm rest with white knuckles once again, and Nick laughed at my fear. We made it to the club where Addison worked in record time. Either Meghan had forgotten to mention my call to Addie or she wasn't off stage yet because she hadn't called. Nick parked out front and we climbed out of the car. A valet ran over offering to take Nick's keys. "We aren't staying, just picking someone up," he waved the valet off. He turned to me. "I feel like I've been here before."

I laughed, "Not while Addison's working. I hear about every celebrity that graces these hallowed halls when she's working." I stared up at the sign. I hated coming here, to be honest, because as much as Addison loved it and as much as I joked about it I hated that Addison was a stripper. I hated that she so willingly gave herself away like that. I took a deep breath.

"Are we going in?" Nick asked.

I nodded, and stepped forward. At the door, we were both IDed and I shouted over loudly thumping music that I was here to talk to Addison and they checked a list and found me on it, then waved me through a VIP door. Nick lingered at the door leading into the club, staring out into the beams of colored light piercing the dark. I could hear Addison's voice echoing through the club as she sang. Nick hadn't noticed me turning into the backstage hallway, so I paused and went back for him. He was staring at the stage. I looked over. Addison was doing her thing, gyrating in a hot pink garter belt and thong - topless - at the edge of the stage with five inch heels that were an iradescent sort of silver, like disco balls on her feet. She held a microphone and was singing a cover of S&M by Rhianna.

"Shit," he muttered.

"That's Addison," I said.

Nick looked at me, wide eyed. "Well damn," he said.

I grabbed his elbow and pulled him away, not wanting to see anymore of Addison's act myself, and dragged him down the hall that led to the dressing rooms. When we stepped in a general squeal of surprise went through the girls as Nick followed me, and he covered his eyes politely, though I could see the motion killed him. I pulled him along by his hand over to Addison's booth. Her cell phone was on the counter and a ditzy nineteen year old grinned from the next booth over. "You must be Sam," she squeaked.

"You must be Meghan."

"Yeah, I'm Meghan." She grinned. She looked at Nick. "Is that --"

Nick held out his free hand, other hand still covering his eyes, "I'm Nick Carter." He was about a foot off from actually offering his hand to Meghan, so I pushed his hand toward her and she shook it, staring at him in awe.

"Addison should be off in a second," Meghan said as the song came to an end upstairs.

"Thanks," I answered. I pushed Nick into Addison's chair so he could sit and he leaned his elbow on the arm of it, resting his face in his palm.

A moment later, Addison came down the steps from the stage, her heels clicking on the cement, pulling on a silky robe. A chorus of "Good set Addie!" went up among the girls, and Addison laughed and thanked them and then her eyes landed on me... and Nick. Her eyes widened. She mouthed What the hell is he doing here? at me as she walked closer.

"Addison," I said.

Nick stuck out his arm wildly into the air around him, "Hey I'm Nick."

Addison stared at his hand, which was no where near her, and then moved so she could shake it, "Hey Nick... Hey Sam... What are you guys doing here?" she lingered on Nick's hand, staring down at it before she finally let it go.

"Cora's doing auditions," I said.

A couple girls necks almost twisted off as they turned at mention of the name Cora in conjunction with a word like auditions.

Addison stared at me, "You told me that already..."

"No," I said, "I mean now. Right now. We're here to pick you up."

Addison's jaw dropped. "But I -- I'm -- I'm at -- but -- What?"

Nick, eyes still closed, said, "She's been through a string of terrible auditions," he explained, "And Sam here told me about you and I told her that we'd bring you over. Please," he said, "It'd mean a lot to me if you'd come."

"But I haven't practiced anything for her, I haven't prepared, I'm... Well I'm kinda naked right now..." she looked down at her robe.

"Well get dressed," I said, turning to Addison's wardrobe of show clothes hanging next to her dresser, "Lord knows you've got a great selection of stuff here..."

Addison stared at me, her face pale. "But... I -- mental preparation..." she stammered.

Nick opened his eyes to look at Addison. A bunch of girls squealed as they saw his eyes open, and dove to take cover, but Nick's eyes were focused directly on Addison's eyes. I could see her melt under the intense blue of them. "You're going to do great," he said to her firmly, "I just saw you on stage, and I promise... you're going to do great."

Addison blinked, and I could tell by the expression on her face that he'd just completely turned her to mush.

I handed Addison a leotard and shirt combo that was very 80's but also very Addie and I knew she looked amazing in. "Here," I said. "Get dressed. Your big break is calling."