- Text Size +
Chapter Three


"You had Nick-fucking-Carter alone in a hotel room and you didn't hump that?!?"

"Shhhh," I hissed.

Addison, my best friend, shook her head and waved her spoon at me, "I'm not even sure I can still associate myself with you anymore, you pass by an opportunity like that. For crying outloud, do you have hormones? Maybe we should get you tested."

"What was I supposed to do? Throw the guy on the bed and ravage him?"

"Savagely, yes. Maybe even with handcuffs." Addison licked her lips, grinning at me as she slipped a spoonful of strawberry ice cream into her mouth.

I scraped a bit of pistachio into my spoon. "Besides," I said, as though Addison hadn't suggested a thing, "He was fresh off a quickie. Imagine being rich enough that you use a place as ritzy as that as a pay-by-the-hour?" I shook my head.

"So tell me again how this all happened?" Addison requested, leaning in.

"I told you, I was just cleaning the room and I heard them come in and they had wild monkey sex and left. That's all there is to it."

"And then he paid you seven hundred dollars not to tell anyone."

I nodded, "Pretty much," I replied, licking my spoon clean.

Addison shook her head, "You are the luckiest bitch in the world."

"It's not like it was me he slept with," I said.

"Touche," Addison said, nodding. "That is the luckiest bitch in the world." She thoughtfully ate some of her ice cream, shaking her head as she stared at a spot on the ceiling somewhere over my head. "Damn," she muttered, "I just can't imagine it. Did he sound --- you know... good?"

"She seemed to be enjoying it," I said, shrugging.

"Well of course she did," Addison said, "She's Cora. The girl could have a convincing orgasm with a Q-tip." She shook her head. I motioned for her to quiet down (I mean, I'd been paid seven hundred dollars to keep it a secret, maybe telling the loudest girl in the city about it while we were in public wasn't the best idea). Addison lowered her voice and leaned forward, stabbing her ice cream with the hot pink plastic spoon. "Could you like -- you know, hear him? Did he sound - you know...? How was his stamina?"

"They were at it awhile. I was starting to get claustrophobic in the bathroom," I said."

"Like... ten... fifteen minutes?" she suggested.

"More like twenty...thirty," I corrected.

"Jeeee-sus." Addison leaned back. "Did she sound... winded?"

"Addie."

"WHAT! I want to know! I need to live vicariously through Cora through you," she said. "Is that too much to ask?!"

My phone vibrated in my pocket and I pulled it out, glanced at the ID, and said, "Hold on a sec, it's work." Addison pulled the spoon back out of her ice cream and started eating again as I answered the phone. "Hello, Samantha speaking."

"Samantha, it's me -- Jobe from work." I recognized the front desk manager's voice.

"Hey Jobe," I said. "What's up?"

"I need you to come in so I can speak with you about a guest comment that was logged last night. If it would be possible, could you stop by the hotel sometime before three this afternoon?"

I literally had all I could do not to choke. Addison looked up and made a concerned face. "Before three?" I squeaked. I pictured Nick stopping by the desk on his way out and complaining that some psychotic bitch housekeeper had blackmailed him. I pictured him seeking revenge. "I'll be there..."

When I'd hung up, Addison raised an eyebrow, "What's wrong?" she asked.

"That was Jobe. He said he needs to talk to me about a guest comment from last night."

Addison's second eyebrow joined the first for a look of surprise. "Carter?" she asked.

"I'm afraid it might be," I answered. I pushed my dish of ice cream away and stood up, pulling out my wallet. "I gotta go, either way... I gotta get down there... the sooner the better... I just hope he doesn't fire me..."

Addison waved away my wallet, "I got this. You go."

"You sure?" I asked.

Addie laughed, "Sam, please. I know you can't afford this."

"I just got paid seven hundred dollars to not tell the world about you-know-who and you-know-who," I reminded her.

"And you've been living off Ramen for the last three weeks. Go buy real food." She pulled out her own wallet. "After finding out what the blonde sex god commented about you." She tossed a ten onto the table and got up. "If it's negative, let me know, we'll go castrate him."

I laughed. "Thanks Addie."

"Not a problem." She hugged me and I turned to leave. I was almost out the door when she shouted, "I still can't believe you didn't hump him!" Several parental units glowered at her. One mother even covered his child's ears. Addison waved to her, and the woman looked even more affronted.

"Bye Addie," I called, and I ducked out the door.


---


When I arrived at the hotel, the blonde imbecile that'd been working the desk (and smudging up my list of rooms to clean) the night before was on again. She smiled benignly and sent me out back to Jobe's office. I knocked meekly and he called me in, waved me into a seat, and said, in a booming voice, "So do you actually know Nick Carter or did you just meet him last night?"

Damn, it was about him, I thought to myself. I wondered how much trouble I was in right now, if I should be freaking out or what. My throat felt tight. "I just met him last night," I squeaked.

Jobe looked surprised. He looked down at a comment card on his desk. "Well something you said must've impressed the guy."

"Why's that?" I asked.

Jobe tossed the card across the desk so that it landed on my side. I picked it up.

Nick's handwriting was scratch at the best. It looked like a child had written it: Samantha Roades was very helpful. If you could give her my number, that'd be great. Tell her I may need her Monking services in the future. The words were followed by ten digits.

I looked up at Jobe.

"I may not want to know the answer to this, and if I don't want to know it, please for the love of God lie, but --" he cleared his throat, "What in God's earth does he mean by Monking services?"

"Like Monk... the TV show. He thought I was observant..." I shrugged.

Jobe rubbed his chin.

I swallowed. "Am I ...in trouble?"

"If Monking services isn't code for prostitution then not at all," Jobe replied. "Quite the opposite. It's actually one of the best comment cards I've received for a housekeeper." He paused, "You do know that if it is, it cannot be allowed, right?"

I nodded.

"So long as we're on the same page with that, then we should be good," he said.

I held the card out for him to take back, but he waved his hand, "He wanted you to have the phone number, remember?" he asked.

"Yeah."

"Thanks for coming in," he said, and he stood up and held out his hand. "You have a great night, Samantha."

But even as I shook his hand and told him to have a good night right back, my mind was already spinning about what in the world Nick could've come up with in the time it took him to ride the elevator to the lobby that would make him leave a calling card requesting my services...

I already knew exactly what Addison was gonna have to say on the subject.