- Text Size +
Chapter Thirty-Nine


The morning of the party dawned on Nick and I still entangled on the couch in the early morning sunlight. I liked this part of my day, where I got to just lay still and enjoy the features and shadows of his face and the way the light interacted with it. I always found myself thinking how gorgeous he was... Outside, a cloud shifted or something and the sunlight increased and lit up his face brilliantly, and before I could even finish thinking that he should sparkle or something, he moved, rolling over, and pitched me to the floor beside the couch. I landed on my elbow and let out a squeaky bark of response.

Nick sat up, blinked down at me, surprise on his face. He looked around the room, seemed to get his bearings, then dropped back onto the couch. "Shit," he muttered, "You okay?"

"Yeah," I replied, rubbing my now sore elbow.

He stared at me a moment from the corner of his eyes, sighed, and closed them. "Coffee," he pleaded.

"I'm out," I answered. I struggled to my feet and sat on the edge of the couch by his feet, "We'll have to go get some."

"Party," Nick mumbled. "Tonight." I nodded. He peeked out to look at me. "Exciting."

"It is," I answered.

He closed his eyes again. "I really want coffee..."

"You want me to go get some?" I asked.

He peeked at me again. "Would you?"

"Sure," I answered.

Nick grinned, "Thanks babe."

"No problem," I smiled. It only took me a couple minutes to change and I kissed his forehead on my way out the door, "I'll be right back," I said.

"Could'ja get bagels, too?" he asked, making puppy eyes at me. "Two? Mul--"

"--tigrain, I know," I said. "Be right back." I ducked out the door as Nick grinned and closed his eyes and settled back into the couch cushions.

Because Starbucks was only like a block and a half away, I decided to walk, since it was nice out and everything, and I made my way along the street, enjoying the sound my sneakers made on the pavement. I wondered if people passing me by on the street and looking at me could tell that I'd just woke up after a night of having incredible sex with a Backstreet Boy... I felt my cheeks flush at the thought.

The air conditioner was on freezing in Starbucks and I shivered as I stood in line behind some gossipy valley girls that were chattering away, clutching purses with tiny puppies like that was still a thing. They wore these spandex leggings that hugged their less-than-perfect curves with bright prints of Disney characters under frilly tutu things that made crunching noises when they moved.

I was mostly tuning them out, staring at the two multigrain bagels left in the case and praying that they didn't get purchased between now and when I got to the counter, when one girl whispered the name Hugh Walters and my attention was captured.

"...Hugh Walters pitching a fit, all ugly-crying," she laughed, "I wouldn't wanna be in Nick Carter's shoes right now, that's for sure."

I tried not to look like I was listening.

The second girl laughed, "It won't be the music world's biggest loss," she laughed.

"He used to be so cool 'til he started working with her," the first commented, "Then he just seemed to go mental or something. He comes in the bar a lot too. Maybe that's why Hugh was there."

"Hunting him down," the second laughed.

"Exactly! Although I guess he won't have far to look, talk of the town is some big shin-dig is being thrown down by Nick tonight. I'm sure something will go down there. Addison Mueller's playing it."

"That girl's such a slut."

"Right? I didn't think it was possible but she totally looks like Cora's slutty little sister or something."

"I heard she's like friends with that girl that Nick's seeing. Totally know how she got her record deal." She rolled her eyes. "It's not like she's that good at singing."

"She's better than Cora."

"Fingernails on chalkboard is better than Cora."

They both laughed and the barista motioned for them to step up to the counter. My hands were shaking I was so irritated but I kept my mouth shut. I watched as they ordered skinny mochas and the damn multigrain bagels. As if I couldn't have hated them more... When I got to the counter I said, "I will pay you twenty dollars for those two bagels. That's a thousand percent increase."

He stared at me. "What?"

"Those two multigrain bagels those girls just bought? I'll pay you $20 for them."

He blinked in surprise, glanced at the girls, who'd been quite rude to him, and handed me the bag. I shoved the twenty into the tip jar and took the two cups of coffee I'd ordered and smiled at the girls, who were clueless that I was carrying their bagels as I passed by them to the doors.

When I got back to the house, Nick was in my shower and I put the bagels and coffee on the table and sat down to see if I coul find out what they'd been talking about with Hugh, but there wasn't much of anything other than some paparazzi photos of him leaving a bar completely shitfaced less than twelve hours before. There was nothing anywhere about Nick other than the comments from the day the video of Nick and Cora getting on the elevator in New York had leaked all over the Internet.

When Nick came out he laid into the bagels with passion and drank his coffee in what seemed like a single sip. He glanced over my shoulder, "What'cha lookin' up Hugh for?" he asked, chewing.

"There was some girls talkin' about him at Starbucks," I answered, "I was just curious what was up, that's all."

"What about him?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. He was drunk last night at a bar."

"Oh," Nick said. He continued chewing on his bagel.

"You know it's getting around that you and Cora are a thing because of the elevator shot, right?" I said, "You know Hugh's pissed, don't you?"

Nick laughed, "Hugh ain't pissed."

I pulled up the video. Nick stared at the computer long after Hugh Walters had finished saying - in so many words - that he'd kill Nick if he found out Nick was seeing Cora. "Yeah well, I'm not seeing her, so it's moot." He turned away, though I could see nervousness in his eyes and mannerisms as he sat down and grabbed the second bagel from the bag.

"You really think Hugh Walters stops to ask questions about whether he's right or not?" I asked, raising my eyebrow. "He seems more of an act-on-the-moment kind of guy." I paused. Then something occurred to me. I turned to Nick, "Oh my God. Nick. What if -- Oh my God."

"What?" he looked confused.

"What if Hugh Walters did kill Z?"

Nick choked on bagel and laughed. "Z was his number one producer. His labels are suffering from Z's death, not blossoming. All the idiots saying that they think he killed Z on the web don't know what they're talking about. Hugh would have to be stupid to kill Z... he was his number one grossing producer and song writer."

"Yeah but if he thought that Z was seeing Cora, like I did ---"

"Hugh knows Z is gay."

"But it makes sense, doesn't it? He finds out Z is having an affair with his wife, he reacts poorly, kills the guy and doesn't know what to do so he just stages a suicide and hides behind the fact that Z raked in a lot of cash for him. It makes sense."

"Maybe."

"I think it does," I said.

Nick shrugged. He crumpled the now empty $20 bagel bag and stood up. "I dunno. Either way, we should head over to my place so we're there while everyone's settin' up for tonight. And we can get ready."

"Okay." I closed down my computer. While the thing was shutting down, I said, "Hugh's coming tonight, though, isn't he?"

"Course," Nick answered. "He's one of the guests of honor isn't he?"

"Well yes, but --"

Nick laughed, "Babe, he's not gonna kill me. Relax. He doesn't know about me and Cora, and even if he did, that's over."

"He doesn't know that," I argued.

"Of course he does," Nick laughed, "I'm with you aren't I?" He smirked, "You're like my little alibi." He leaned down and kissed my cheek. "I gotta pee," he said when he'd finished kissing my skin softly. "Be right back." And he walked away.

I sighed and finished the last of my coffee. All I could do was hope he was right and he wasn't about to become Z's mystery killer's next victim.