- Text Size +

Chapter 1 I’m Perfectly Fine

*Kalie's POV*

                It was two days after getting out of the hospital that we rescheduled the last concert of the tour for that upcoming Friday night. Everyone was concerned for Heather and I but we both assured them that we were fine. The doctors confirmed it too. Nick still clung to me and waited on me hand and foot practically. I'm not going to lie; it was starting to get annoying. Rich was worrying over Heather too but he wasn't as crazy as Nick. I watched as he helped her around. It was cute watching them. I could see the concern in his eyes but he wasn't asking her if she was ok every five minutes.

                Jen, the tour manager, confirmed the rescheduled show when we all were at dinner celebrating Heather and my survival. I was excited to finally perform the last concert mainly because I love to dance and I love watching Nick on stage but I also wanted this tour to be over so I could start some wedding planning with my fiancé. 

                He grabbed my hand and gave it a little squeeze when everyone was served their main course and started eating. I looked up at him before I dug into my tortellini. Nick looked into my eyes giving me that look that at first I thought was freaking adorable but now couldn't stand.

                "Are you sure you really want to go on with this show?"

                I gave out an exasperated sigh, "Nick, I know how much you care about me and I thank you for that but I'm perfectly fine!" My voice raised slightly and I was surprised nobody had noticed as everyone around us continued to carry on their own conversations. "Please just stop worrying about me so much. Yes I just lived my worst nightmare and the strangest thing happened to me out in that hurricane but it's over now. I'm back in my own body, I'm not hurt and I survived. Like I said I'm grateful that you are so worried over me but I am ok. It's starting to get really annoying Nick."

                I didn't look at him directly as I angrily stabbed my dinner with my fork but out of the corner of my eye I saw him hang his head and slowly pick up his knife and fork to cut into his steak. 

                We didn't talk to each other for a while and I focused on my dish. The tortellini was really good but I was too annoyed and pissed to look anywhere else, especially at Nick. I did look up after a while because I had a strange feeling someone was watching me. My eyes came up from my dinner to see that it was Heather, who was sitting directly across from me. She nodded her head toward the bathroom and I got up in response. She followed me and I just found it strange that no one seemed to notice. Even my best friends Michelle, Crystal, Dan and Chris were too occupied to ask where I was going. I guess they were just in deep conversation with each other or their food was way too good and commanded all their attention. To be honest it didn't bother me. I didn't want to make a scene. One person noticed though. I didn't have to look over my shoulder to know that Nick had watched me leave. I just know him way too well.

                Heather and I made ourselves look busy fixing our makeup and hair as we waited for the only other woman in the lady's room to finish washing her hands. Once she was gone Heather asked, "Alright, what's wrong? I didn't hear what you two said to each other, I only saw the pissed off look on your face and I knew something had to be wrong."

                I couldn't help but shake my head and let out a slight chuckle, "It amazes me to think that we have just met each other and it's like you have known me since we were young."

                "Yeah I know what you mean. Now what's wrong?"      

                “Nick.” I replied simply.

                She chuckled and shook her head, “I know that much. Care to explain what’s wrong with him?”

                Her mannerisms reminded me of Michelle’s. I quickly wondered why she and Crystal weren’t in the ladies room asking me what was wrong but I pushed that thought out of my head as my complaint about Nick—Whoa! Did I just put “complaint” and “Nick” in the same sentence?!—spilled out of my mouth in a rush of frustrated words.

                “He won’t leave me alone! Every two minutes, “Babe, are you ok? Kayl, are you ok? Are you sure you want to do the show tomorrow?” And I keep telling him I’m fine but he just won’t stop! I mean I love him and he has always been the one out of my group of friends to be the most concerned but now he’s just insane! It’s like I can’t take a deep breathe without him worrying about me. He’s becoming way too clingy!”

                Heather nodded her head, “I understand how it can get annoying. I wish Rich was like that.”

                “No you don’t. Trust me.”

                “Yeah I do. He just stands there most of the time just looking at me. Yeah he helps me even if I don’t ask for help but he never says anything.”

                “I wish Nick was like that.”

                “Then tell him that.”

                I looked at myself in the mirror and started nervously tweaking my hair.

                “Just be honest with him and everything will be fine. You didn’t majorly screw things over between you two.”

                I looked at her and grinned, “You really do know me way too well.”

                She grinned back at me and said, “C’mon let’s go finish our dinner.”

                When we got back to the table the waitress had just passed out the dessert menus.

                I glanced at the menu and thought about how good the cheesecake looked.

                “Do you want to split a slice of cheesecake with me?”

                I was shocked Nick was actually talking to me. I was pretty harsh to him.

                My eyes searched his face for a clue of how he was feeling as he continued to look at the menu. He never looked at me when I answered.

                “Sure.”

                Dessert was awkward. He and I took turns nibbling away at the cheesecake we ordered while our friends around us were being romantic feeding each other. We were at a pretty fancy, romantic place but it just upset me. I was being harsh and I wasn’t sure how I was going to apologize.

                When we got back to the hotel room that night we didn’t talk. We changed into our pjs, went into the bathroom and brushed our teeth at the sink together like we normally did but neither of us uttered a single word. It was strange, eerie.

                I got into bed first and watched as he flipped back the covers rather angrily and flicked off the light switch on the wall. He lay with his back toward me and he let out an angry sigh. I waited in the darkness for at least a minute hoping he would say something.

                Finally I reached over him to turn on the light on his bed side table. I could have easily turned on the light on my side but this made him roll over on his back and acknowledge that I had something to say.

                “I’m sorry I was harsh at dinner. It’s just that…” I hesitated arranging the thoughts in my head, “I know how much you care about me and how scared you were because I was terrified myself but it feels like you’re smothering me. Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice to know that you truly care but asking if I’m ok every two minutes is a little excessive.” I hoped the tone in my voice was level and not harsh or sarcastic. “Please forgive me.”

                His face was expressionless but he leaned over and kissed my forehead then grabbed my left hand, “You’re forgiven. I’m sorry I got angry.”

                “No I’m the one who’s sorry about getting angry. I don’t know why I became such a bitch about you being concerned about me.”

                “But you’re right I got a little too concerned. It’s just that we’ve got a wedding to plan and I sort of need my bride-to-be to plan that wedding with,” he smiled playing with my engagement ring.

                I interlocked my fingers with his, “Trust me, I’ll be there. I wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

                His lips gently touched mine and I could feel a smile form on both of our lips as we kissed. I snuggled closer to him and his arms wrapped around my waist holding me close.

                “Good night, babe,” I whispered to him.

                “Good night, honey. I love you Kalie.”

                “I love you too Nick. Very much.”

                “Can you promise me one thing now that I’m promising you that I won’t suffocate you with concern from now on?”

                “What is Kaos?”

                “Promise me we won’t ever go to bed angry at each other ever again.”

                I placed my hand over his heart, “I promise.”

                “Good. Now seal it with a kiss please.”

                I giggled hearing the smile in his voice. Our lips met again in a sweet kiss before we fell asleep.

***Meanwhile, down the hall in Heather and Rich’s hotel room…***

*Heather’s POV*

                Rich and I stayed up a little late watching Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory; yah know, the good, old one starring Gene Wilder? (We both LOVE that movie!) We were snuggled under the covers and he wrapped his arms around me and basically rocked me like a baby as we watched the movie and sang along with the songs.

                During one of the commercials I grabbed his hand and said, “I really want to thank you for being so amazing through this whole situation and I’m sorry I made you jealous. I know how concerned you are but why are you so quiet?”

                He looked right back at me and let out a chuckle, “Because if I asked you how you were feeling every minute like Nick asks Kalie, you’d smack me by the third minute. You would hate me saying, “Vi, you ok? Vi, are you sure you’re alright?” over and over again.”  

                I nodded my head and let out a slight laugh, “Yeah I would go crazy and I would start hating my nickname and… I don’t want to hate my nickname because I finally got completely comfortable with you calling me that after Mom died…”

                Rich squeezed me tighter and kissed my forehead, “That’s why I stay quiet. I know when you need me, I can see it in your eyes and read your body language. I also know how much you miss her but I’m here to comfort you as best as I can.”     

                “I can’t tell you how much I appreciate you for being you and how well you know me, Rich.” I rested my head on his shoulder and wrapped my arms around him, hugging him as tightly as possible, “I love you so much.”

                He kissed my forehead again and started running his fingers through my hair, “And I love you so much Vi.”