- Text Size +

Chapter 13 The Good News

*Kalie’s POV*

                “That was a really good party wasn’t it?” I asked my fiancé while we were making our way back to our hotel.

                “It was a blast,” he responded.

                “Heather was simply gorgeous in that dress and DJ Lani looked so happy. It really was a great wedding. I’m so happy for the both of them.”

                “It made me more excited for our wedding.” Nick looked at me and smiled.

                “I’m excited for it too.”

                “Six more months baby.”

                “I can’t believe that.”    

                “Me neither. But it will go by quickly.”   

                “Except for the part where you are going on tour.”

                About a month ago we found out that Backstreet was joining New Kids on The Block on tour. I know Nick loves touring but it was going to suck for me because I wouldn’t be going with him this time. At least this was going to be a short one for now. There was only two projected legs of the tour and they were going to have a decent break in between. Still I knew I was going to miss him especially with planning the rest of our wedding.

                We meet up with Heather and Rich the next day to drive to the airport together. Nick and I were flying home but the newlyweds were going to Disney World for their honeymoon. It just happened that we were on the same flight to Orlando.

                “Where do you want to go for our honey moon?” I asked him once we found our seats.

                He shrugged. “I haven’t thought about it honestly.”

                “Neither have I until finding out that the newlyweds have the same flight as we do.”

                “We could go to Disney.”

                “We have been to Disney so many times though. We live half an hour away from there. We can go whenever we want to.”

                “Ok then how about some place tropical? Like the Bahamas or Turks and Caicos,” he suggested.

                “How about we go on a cruise. I’ve never been on one before.”

                “You haven’t?”

                “Nope.”

                “That’s it. We have to go on a cruise now that you haven’t been before.”

                Once we got home Nick started to unpack and I logged onto my laptop.

                “Do you want me to start laundry now or wait until tomorrow honey?” Nick asked.

                “You could start it now if you want.”

                “What are you looking for?” he walked into the living room and watched me as I was surfing the internet.

                “Cruises for our honeymoon. How about a cruise to Turks and Caicos? I’ve never been there before but it looks gorgeous.”

                He came down and sat next to me and looked at the pictures I had pulled up, “Sounds good to me. It really doesn’t matter to me where we go as long as we are together.”

                “You sweet talker.”

                “Hey what can I say? I’m in a boy band.”

                I laughed a hardy laugh as I booked our honeymoon.

                April morphed into March before our eyes and it was time to drop Nick off at the airport so he could meet the rest of NKOTBSB to start their tour in Illinois.

                “I love you baby. I’ll be home before you know it.”

                “Yeah only to go back out again.”

                “Just remember six months until the big day.”

                “It’s always on my mind.”

                We kissed before he turned to board his plane. I always hated saying bye to him but I kept reminding myself that he’d be home in August.

*A Few Hours Later In Illinois* *Nick’s POV*

                The flight went a little quicker than we all thought and once everyone was checked into their hotel rooms we met up for dinner in the restaurant right down the street.

                After we placed our drink orders, DJ Lani’s cell phone rang. He answered it with a chuckle, “You miss me already babe?”

                Rich told us that it felt like they had just gotten home from their honeymoon in Disney when he had to leave his new wife to join us to be our sound manager on tour. I could tell from the smile on his face that the married life was treating him well.

                “What is it that you need to tell me Heather?” he asked. There was a pause and Rich’s jaw dropped. “You… you’re… what did you just say?!” There was another pause and then he said, “No way! This is unbelievable! Holy crap!”

                Everyone was looking at him and were curious as to what Heather had just told him.

                “Oh man!” He scanned the table and then said excitedly, “Heather’s pregnant! I’m going to be a dad!”

                The table rejoiced and we could hear Heather giggle when Rich took the phone away from his ear so she could hear our congratulations.

                He put the phone back to his ear and the smile on his face said it all but he kept repeating it to his wife, “Oh honey you don’t know how happy I am to hear that! I can’t believe we are going to be parents! Do you want me to come home? I’ll catch the next flight or I’ll rent a car and drive nonstop if you want me to.” She answered him and then he replied, “Are you positive? Ok. I’ll stay. Just send me a picture everyday so I can see your growth. I don’t want to miss anything Heather. I want to be there for doctor appointments and… and… well anything else that I have to be there for.”

                I was sitting next to him and I could hear Heather say, “Babe you’re working. Just continue to do your job. The only thing that really matters is if you are home for the birth. That’s all I really care about.”

                “But I want to be home to take care of you and help you.”

                “I’ll be in good hands. Stephanie will have it under control.”

                “Have you told her yet?”

                “Nope. You were the first. I’ll let you go back to whatever you were doing before I called. I have to call my sister and Uncle Dave and your parents and basically everyone else.”

                “Alright baby. I love you.”           

                “I love you too Daddy to be.”

                He smiled widely at that last line before he hung up.

                “Wow. Daddy to be,” I said to him patting him on the back, “Congratulations Rich.”

                “Thanks man. I can’t believe it.”

                Rich only stayed with us on tour for a few weeks because he couldn’t stand the idea of missing any of Heather’s doctor appointments and not watching her pregnant belly growing before his own eyes. We made it through without him but he got me thinking about starting a family of my own with Kalie.       

                Like I told my fiancée this leg of the NKOTBSB tour went by in the blink of an eye compared to some of the other tours. August 7, 2011 was the last show date of the North American leg and the next day everyone found themselves traveling home. While on the plane back to Florida, the only thing I could think of was how I was going to talk to Kalie about starting our own family.

                A few hours later Kalie welcomed me home with open arms when I walked through the front door after getting my bags out of the cab.

                “Welcome home honey.”

                “It’s good to be home.”

                “You came just in time for dinner.”

                “Oh really now? What did you make?”

                “Spaghetti. I figured it was something easy for you to heat up if you got home later and still wanted something to eat. But it’s still hot and I haven’t eaten yet so we can eat together.”

                We sat down at the table and made our usual small talk. She asked me about tour and I asked her about her kids at the dance studio. Then after a slight pause of awkward silence, I asked, “So what do you think about having kids Kayl?”

                She nearly had some of the iced tea she was drinking come out of her nose. She wiped her mouth and smirked, “I’m guessing Rich told you the good news huh?”

                I nodded my head, “I was there when she called him. Actually everyone was there having dinner.”

                “Let me guess… you haven’t stopped thinking about starting a family of our own since that day huh?”

                “You know me too well Kay.”

                She smiled again, “I’ve been thinking about it too.” She grabbed my hand and looked into my eyes, “I really want to have kids.”

                “Do you want to wait? Do you want to start trying now? I mean how soon do you want to start?”

                She chuckled, “I have waited this long to call you my fiancé I don’t want to wait that much longer to start calling you the father of my children. But I do want to wait until after we are married. Besides if I get pregnant on our wedding night or sometime close to that, the timing would be perfect. You’d be home to welcome your child into the world.”

                “So our starting date is October 1st?”

                “October 1st we’ll start trying for a family of our own.”

                “It’s a date,” I smiled at her and squeezed her hand.

                “It’s our wedding,” she responded with a gleaming grin.