- Text Size +

Chapter 2 Love Me Any Other Way

                “How are you feeling sis?” Stephanie said before hanging up the phone.

                “You know, you started off our conversation with that question and my answer hasn’t changed in the past ten minutes we’ve been talking,” I tried to remain calm. Rich was right, I can’t stand people fussing over me. “I’m fine Steph. Rich and I will be home tomorrow afternoon after we have breakfast with the rest of the tour crew. Don’t worry about me. You of all people should know how strong I am.”

                “And hard headed,” my sister commented with a laugh. “You are the only one I know who would sneak away and defy doctor’s orders to go horseback riding with a broken arm.”

                I chuckled remembering, “Hey I was going through that rebellious, teenage stage. Besides I only needed one hand to ride Cowpoke anyway.”         

                “It didn’t matter that Cowpoke was the best horse at the stable and you could ride him with one hand. You still could have fallen off and gotten hurt again. And how did you tack him up anyway?”

                “I rode him bareback and clipped lead ropes onto his halter. I didn’t need to tack him up.”

“You really are crazy, and hard headed.”              

                “But you wouldn’t love me any other way.”

                “This is true. I would think something was really wrong with you.”

                I laughed then sighed remembering Cowpoke, “You have to admit though that Cowpoke was the best gift from Mom before she was taken away.”

                “Yes he was.”

                “I’ve been thinking about her a lot lately, especially when I was in the hospital.”

                “I have been thinking about her too. It is that time of year,” Stephanie added gently.

                Heather nodded her head, “Yeah I know.”

                Stephanie took in a deep breath and quickly changed the subject, “Well the Pups are doing fine. They miss you so you better get home to them soon after your breakfast tomorrow.”

                “Tell them we will hit the road right after we pay the check. How were they for Brody when you left?”

                “They were good. Hunter was a little afraid and she wouldn’t leave his side while the storm was going on that night. But Brody didn’t mind it. You know how much my husband loves that beagle.”

                I chuckled, “Yeah and you know how much Hunter loves being with people and how much she hates storms.”  

                “I’m pretty sure you’re not a fan of storms after what happened either,” Stephanie winced after realizing what she had said. “I’m sorry. I was thinking out loud I should have kept that in the thought bubble.”

                “No you’re right, that storm really scared me,” I looked at Rich who had just grabbed my hand, “It scared a lot of people.”             

                Rich looked into my eyes then kissed my forehead. It was his way of telling me that he was scared too and he was glad to have me back. I smiled back at him. I loved the way Rich could say so much with so little words, actually with no words at all.

                “Well sis I have to get ready to go to lunch with the Backstreet Buds and then get ready for the concert. Tell Brody I said hello and thank him for taking care of the Puppies for me. And thank you too Steph.”

                “You’re welcome sister. Have fun tonight and let me know when you are on the way home tomorrow.”

                “I’ll call you when we are leaving. See you tomorrow.”

                “See ya sis.”

                A few hours later the last show of the This Is Us tour ended. It was bitter sweet but everyone was glad the show went off without any complications this time. Rich had a blast behind the DJ stand and the drums during the show and I loved the smile he wore as he was playing the drums. Backstreet performed at their highest level and the five Backstreet Buds and I agreed that this final show of the This Is Us tour was one of the best that they have ever seen, especially being in the front row right next to the stage.

                As the crowd was leaving, the Backstreet Buds and I snuck behind stage.

                The first person they saw was Rich. I ran up to him and jumped into his arms.

                “That show was amazing! You were great tonight babe!”

                He laughed as he embraced me, “Thanks honey. I’m glad you liked the show that much.”

                “I’m so happy that we got front row but I’m glad the tour is over.”

                “Why’s that?”

                “I get my boyfriend back! We can go back to our normal routine now.”

                “I cannot wait to go home tomorrow baby.”

                “Me either. Although I’m going to miss everyone I have met. I’ve made friends in the Backstreet Family. And wow I can’t believe I just said that!” I chuckled.

                “I can’t believe that either!” Jess chipped in.

                “Well we can always talk to them over the phone. It’s not like we’re going to go home and never talk to them again. Plus there will always be another tour,” Rich answered.

                “So wait,” I looked at my boyfriend a little skeptically, “Are you saying that you’ll be Backstreet’s DJ and drummer for future tours? Do you have a job with Backstreet?”

                He smiled widely, “They want me back for future tours. I do indeed have a job with Backstreet.”

                I full out screamed, “No way! That’s awesome Rich!”

                “Congrats!” the other Backstreet Buds said.

                “It was kind of up in the air when I got this job on tour. That’s why Heather couldn’t tell you guys in the beginning. I didn’t even tell her until it was confirmed that I would be working with them for the American leg of the tour,” Rich explained.

                “And we had no idea if they would want Rich back or not,” I mentioned. “Now you’re set with a great job you love! I’m so happy for you sweetheart!”

                “That’s not even the best part,” Rich said.

                “What do you mean?” Carly asked.

                Kelshie looked at him and counted on her fingers, “You are going to be either DJ-ing or playing the drums almost every night which you love to do, I imagine you are going to be paid pretty well so you and Hermie don’t have to worry about anything financially, and you would be able to tour the country and the world doing what you love to do. What more could you ask for?”

                “That and you could get us in to shows and backstage for free,” Carly interjected.

“Yes all of that does make this new job an awesome one but the greatest part is,” Rich paused for dramatic effect, “I will be on the writing and composing team for the next BSB CD!”

The Backstreet Buds’ jaws dropped.

“Are y-you serious?” I stammered.

Rich smiled widely and nodded his head. I jumped up and down as I let out another excited scream before vaulting myself back at him and hugging him tightly.

“I can’t believe this! You have always wanted this Rich! This has to be one of your biggest dreams to be on a writing team for artists like Backstreet! You don’t know how happy I am for you!”

He didn’t say anything. His only response was to squeeze his arms around my waist. I could tell he was excited too.

“Good for you Rich!” Jess said.

“Yes congratulations!” Melina smiled at him.

“I can’t wait to hear the songs you’re going to write!” Carly commented. “This is so cool! One of my good friends will be writing for the Backstreet Boys!”

“Hopefully my songs will make the CD cut,” Rich crossed his fingers.

“Oh they will,” Kelshie assured him. “You are very talented my friend.”

“Thank you all. I don’t know about you girls but I am tired and a hot shower is calling my name. How about we head across the street to the hotel?”

Everyone agreed and we headed toward the back entrance of the concert hall. As we were leaving we stopped by the BSB hang out room and said good night to the Boys and everyone else who was getting ready to either leave for home or go back to the hotel. We picked a time to go out to breakfast together so everyone could see each other one last time before catching flights to their homes.

                Later on that night as Rich andI were lying in bed we talked about Rich’s new job.

                “I’m so happy for you honey!” I squeezed my arms around his waist.

                “I’m a little worried about it though,” he admitted.

                I raised myself up so I could look in his eyes as he answered, “What are we going to do when I’m on tour? What if this job means that we won’t see a lot of each other anymore? What if it pushes us apart?”

                “Rich,” I nuzzled my face against his, “we survived when you went on this past tour. Yes I missed you but distance didn’t affect our relationship. And hey, I could always go on tour with you when school is out. That way I could still have my job and be with you. Besides it’s not like you will be on tour forever. You might be at the studio more often but we’ll make time for each other. It will be perfect. Everything will be perfect.”

*Rich’s POV*

                I kissed her forehead and thought, There’s only one more thing that would truly make very thing perfect.