- Text Size +

Chapter 3 It Is Good To Be Home

                “You better keep in touch girl,” Kalie said as she hugged Heather before they parted ways after breakfast.

                “Oh trust me I will. And we’ll see each other again now that Rich is the new BSB DJ and drummer,” Heather replied.

                “How about this, you and I will hang out during concerts and if BSB records in New York City, we’ll have girl time,” Kalie smiled.

                Heather nodded her head, “I would like that.”

                “And of course the rest of the Backstreet Buds are more than welcome to join us. I had a good time with you all this weekend despite the craziness that happened.” Kalie saw Heather shiver slightly. The weekend was fun but no one expected Rich and Heather to fight and it was unimaginable that both Kalie and Heather would be locked outside during a hurricane by each other’s enemies.

                “Thanks,” Kelshie responded, “We had a good time too, before the storm.”

                The girls exchanged phone numbers and emails before giving one last hug good bye.

                “Oh and all of you expect a wedding invitation sometime in the near future. Now that Nick and I are finished with tour we can actually sit down and plan our wedding,” Kalie grinned as Nick came closer to the group of girls.

                “I have a feeling that’s going to be a fun wedding,” Jess commented.

                “It will be,” Nick answered. “We better get going Kayl. The van is ready to take us to the airport.” He turned to the girls and gave each one a hug and said, “It was really nice meeting you all and now that Rich is a part of the Backstreet Family, you guys are too.”

                The Backstreet Buds all looked at each other and squealed.

                “We’re a part of the Backstreet Family now!” Carly exclaimed.

                “I’m sorry,” Heather slightly blushed, “We just never thought this would happen, like ever! This whole weekend is just so surreal.”

                “You can say that again,” Rich, who followed Nick, said. “But we better get going too.”

                They said one final bye, you know how most girls take forever to say bye, and Rich and Nick shook hands.

                During the drive home, the Backstreet Buds sang along with Heather’s Backstreet Boys CDs and Rich joined in. There was practically no traffic which meant it only took 15 minutes  to get back to Heather’s house. Stephanie and Brody were in the front yard playing with Hunter, Lacey and Shep. The dogs heard the CRV first and ran to the edge of the lawn with their tails wagging and barking excitedly. As soon as Heather stepped out of the CRV Shep came bounding toward her followed by Lacey and Hunter. The husky, Lacey, and German shepherd, Shep, danced around Heather’s feet as Hunter, the beagle, jumped into her arms. She kissed each dog and scratched their ears. Then she greeted her sister and Brody thanking them once again for taking care of the Pups.

                “Come on Pups, we have to get the bags in the house,” Heather said putting Hunter down. Shep walked around to the back of the CRV as Rich was opening it so The Backstreet Buds could get their bags.

                He reached down and patted the dog, “Hey boy. Are you helping with the bags?”           

                Shep gave one quiet “woof” and wagged his tail in response. The hatch door of the CRV opened and Shep grabbed the handle to one of the duffle bags. The strong German shepherd dragged the bag out of the car and to the front steps. Lacey followed Shep’s example and grabbed another duffle bag. Hunter jumped into the front seat and grabbed Heather’s purse being the only thing the smaller beagle could actually carry.

                The Backstreet Buds laughed as they watched the dogs carry the bags to the front steps of Heather’s house.

                “I have never seen that before!” Melina exclaimed, “Did you teach them that?”

                “No actually,” Heather answered. “Shep watched me unload groceries one day and he just started doing what I was doing. Then Lacey and Hunter picked it up by watching Shep. They are the smartest dogs I have ever owned.”

                “That’s really cool,” Carly smiled petting Hunter.

                “Are you girls staying for the night?” Stephanie asked the Backstreet Buds.

                “Jess and I have to hit the road before traffic picks up,” Kelshie said.

                “My cousin will be picking me up shortly to go to the airport. She is coming home with me for a while,” Melina answered. “I wish I could stay longer in the United States but I am missing Germany.”  

                “You could always visit us again,” Carly replied.

                “And you can choose between four houses to stay at,” Kelshie agreed.

                “Plus if you do decide to move to the states I will have an opening for you at my hotel if you’d like,” Jess added in. Jess owned her own hotel and she and Melina had been talking for a while about the hotel business. It was true that Melina was contemplating moving to the states in the future and Jess was serious about hiring her if she did move.

                “I would like that a lot,” Melina nodded her head and smiled, “I appreciate it greatly.”

                Once Jess and Kelshie packed Kelshie’s car, they said their final see-you-laters before heading for home. (The Backstreet Buds never say good bye because good bye is final, like when someone dies or you are not sure if you are ever going to see that person again, see you later means that you will be seeing each other again soon.) Melina’s cousin pulled into Heather’s drive way just as Kelshie’s car drove out of site.

                As Melina and Heather hugged, Heather said, “Come back to visit soon bloodsis.” It was a nickname they had adopted a while back when they first become friends after finding out how much a like they were.

                “I will. I promise bloodsis,” she replied.         

                Carly stayed for dinner and just as dessert was being placed on the table, her boyfriend called saying he was finished with work and could pick her up. Just as Carly finished her last spoon full of ice cream, her boyfriend Andy knocked at the door. He said a quick hello to everyone then grabbed Carly’s bags as she said her see you laters.

                Stephanie and Brody stayed a little longer to talk about the events of the hurricane and Heather talked about that strange dream she had.

                Her sister chuckled after she recapped the dream about losing Rich only to find him again as he turned out to be Backstreet’s DJ and how in the dream, she was in a relationship with Nick Carter but had strong feelings for Rich as well and had to decide between the two.

                “Well, your dream is partially true,” Stephanie commented.

                Because they had lost contact when Rich was going through his struggles with drugs and alcohol abuse, Heather and his parents thought he did die. She hated to believe it and mourned his loss greatly but she saw it coming. She knew once she left for college and he started hanging out with his step sister Harper and dating her best friend Harlow, the Rich she grew up with and loved had changed drastically. Heather had come home for a holiday break and she found Rich sprawled out on her front door step one morning. She opened the door and almost hit him in the head with it. He looked up to her and pleaded, “Heather, help me.” He was coming off of a major high and he was close to dying of an over dose. She rushed him to the hospital still in shock that he was a live. He explained later that while he was high he couldn’t take being away from her anymore. He needed her and her help. She helped nurse him back to health and from there their friendship grew into love. It was always there and they had a secret relationship in high school but that experience made them truly fall in love.

                Heather was taken back to the present when her sister laughed, “But that part about you being in a relationship with Nick Carter, that’s just wishful thinking my dear. You better watch out Rich.”

                They laughed and Heather took Rich’s hand and squeezed it.

                Rich shook his head and smiled at his girlfriend, “I know it was only a dream.”

                “And I would choose Rich over Nick any day. I love him too much,” she looked at him with admiring eyes.

                “Awe!” Brody and Stephanie said together.

                “You two are just sickening sweet,” Brody said.

                “Thanks,” Rich replied, “We try our best.”           

                “Well we better get going,” Stephanie said. “I’m pretty sure you two will be more than happy to have the house to yourselves tonight once we leave. Welcome home sis and Rich.” She got up and hugged them both. Brody followed her lead and hugged Heather and shook hands with Rich.

                “Thanks again for taking care of everything you two. The Pups and I appreciate it,” Heather smiled.

                Once Stephanie and Brody left, Heather and Rich curled up on the couch with The Pups as they watched a movie they found on tv.

                “It’s so good to be home,” Rich commented. “And I’m sure after your ordeal you’re going to agree with me huh?”

                She rested her head against his shoulder, “It is good to be home.”