- Text Size +

Chapter 8 Sticking To Tradition

*Kalie’s POV*

                The wedding planning was going surprisingly well, and way too quickly. Before I knew it the small break BSB had before the last leg of the This Is Us Tour was almost over and it was finally the day I had set aside for dress shopping.

                “You have a big day ahead of you don’t you baby?” Nick asked as we sat down to breakfast together. “Are you excited?”

                I nodded my head, “I am. I’m just worried that I’m not going to find a dress today. I really want to get it now that way I’m not scrambling to get it when we come back from tour. But I think the toughest thing will be the bridesmaids dresses. I don’t think it’s going to happen but I don’t want a fight breaking between my maids.”

                “Just remember that you are the bride and it’s going to be your day. So if you need to put your foot down then do so.”

                I laughed at him.

                He chuckled, “I can’t help it. I have watched way too many wedding shows with you lately.”

                It was true. Ever since we started thinking about plans for the wedding, the only thing we watched, for the most part, were wedding shows. Let me tell you it helped with getting an idea of what dresses I liked and absolutely hated. And they gave me some great ideas for our wedding.

                Shortly after we finished breakfast and I got dressed, my parents, sister Kim, and cousin Katie came to pick me up. Michelle and Crystal were meeting us at the bridal shop Lucy recommended.

                “So you definitely aren’t letting me tag along huh?” Nick asked.

                “You’re saying you actually want to come see me try on dresses?”

                “Sort of…”

                I giggled, “Don’t you want to be surprised though?”

                He shrugged, “I guess so. Good luck finding your dress baby. I know you are going to look beautiful in whatever you get.”

                “Awe thanks honey.” I smiled at him before stealing a quick peak on the lips.

                Michelle and Crystal greeted me excitedly when we met up in the parking lot.

                “I cannot wait for this!” Crystal exclaimed.

                “I’m nervous,” I replied.

                “Why are you nervous?” Michelle asked.

                “I just really want to find the dresses today. And I don’t want to fight over the maids’ dresses either.”

                “We didn’t fight over the dresses at either of our weddings what makes you think we are going to start fighting now?” Michelle asked referring to her and Crystal’s weddings.

                “I don’t know. You know how much of a worry wart I can be.”

                Michelle nodded her head vigorously and I playfully slapped her arm, “Come on let’s go meet our consultant.”

                We walked inside and were greeted by Valerie, the head consultant.    

                “Lucy told me that you would be coming in today,” she warmly extended her hand toward me. “My name is Valerie and I will be helping you. I’m guessing you are the bride Kalie?”

                “Yes I am,” I answered shaking her hand.            

                “Who is in your entourage today Kalie?”

                “I have my mom and dad, my sister and matron of honor Kim, brides maids Crystal, Michelle, and Katie, and also my two brothers will be joining us shortly.”

                “You have some entourage. If you don’t mind me asking why are your brothers joining us today?”

                “My family is very important to me and I would like their opinion when it comes to picking out my dress.”

                “Ok then. How about we get started on finding your bride’s maids dresses? Do you have anything in mind?”

                “Well our colors are redish-purples, oranges, and yellows because the wedding is being held on the beach at the start of sunset. I actually have a picture of a sunset that inspired the theme.”    

                I showed her the picture and she replied, “That is beautiful. I have an idea. How about I look at the colors we have in stock and I will bring you and your girls with me to pick out some dresses that you like and we will go from there ok?”

                “Sounds like a plan to me.”

                “Is there any type of dress you would like to see your girls in?”

                “Honestly I just want one that will look good on all of them and as long as all of them agree on one dress then that will be the one.”

                “Ok. Come follow me and we will see what we find.”

                In the back Valerie asked my girls what color in my theme they would like to wear.

                “Anything but orange!” Crystal and Michelle answered together.

                “I don’t want to wear pink,” Katie said.

                “I was thinking maybe a redish-purple or a pomegranate,” Kim commented.

                “Ooh can we see some pomegranate ones please?” I asked.

                “Sure I’ll be right back.” Valerie disappeared for a few minutes and came back with a few dresses in pomegranate.

                “Do you all like that color?” I asked my girls.

                “That is pretty,” Katie said. Kim, Michelle and Crystal agreed.

                “Good,” I breathed out. “How about you each pick one out that you personally like and then we’ll compare them side by side and see which one everyone likes?”

                “Sounds good,” Kim nodded her head.

                Kim had picked out a full length satin gown with a strait neck line and side drape with a brooch. Michelle opted for a shorter satin dress with a sweet heart neck line. Crystal tried on a short, strapless chiffon dress with a halter top. Katie’s pick was almost exactly like Crystal’s except for a sweetheart neck line.

                I chuckled, “I love how you guys all picked pretty simple dresses.”

                “We know you too well Kayl,” Crystal answered.

                “Yeah if there is one thing about my sister that you should know Valerie, this that she is not one for over the top things,” Kim said.

                “Yeah my cousin likes to keep it simple,” Katie interjected.

                “Good to know,” Valerie smiled. “So any feedback on the dresses ladies?”

                “I actually really like Katie’s dress,” Michelle spoke first. “I think that would fit everyone beautifully.”

                Surprisingly everyone else agreed.

                “Can we just try on those dresses to make sure we all do look good in them?” Kim asked.

                “Of course. Let me go pull your sizes. We may not have them all in the same color but I will get the same style,” Valerie answered.

                Valerie and I helped Kim, Crystal, and Michelle into the dresses and after they looked at themselves in the mirror we agreed that this was the best bridesmaids dress for my girls.              

                “I like this dress a lot but I think it needs a little something extra. It’s a little too plain,” Michelle said.      

                “You know you’re right. I think it needs a sash or something,” I commented.

                “Wow Kay, is that really you?” Kim joked.

                My girls laughed and Valerie added, “We can put a sash on those dresses no problem. What color would you want?”

                “Purple!” all four of my girls answered.

                “It would be perfect because the sunset in the picture has a little touch of purple in it and it is Kalie’s favorite color,” Crystal said.       

                Valerie came back with a purple sash that matched the color in my picture perfectly. She handed it to Michelle.  

                “That works beautifully with that dress,” my mom said.                

                “Kay, I love it!” Michelle smiled into the mirror.

                “Do you three like it?” I asked Crystal, my sister and cousin.

                They answered with excited nods and big smiles.

                “That’s it,” I grinned, “we have our bridesmaid dresses!”

                We all rejoiced and shortly after my girls changed out of their dresses my brothers, Kyle and Kasey, arrived when I was looking at gowns with Valerie.         

                “Did we miss Kalie’s dress?” I heard my twin Kasey ask Mom when I was changing into the first dress.

                “No honey she is getting changed into the first dress now,” Mom replied. “You are just in time.”

                I walked out in the first dress, happy to see that my brothers had made it but not happy about the reaction I was getting from my entourage.

                “You all don’t look pleased with this dress at all,” I said.

                “It’s too plain,” Dad said simply. “It is pretty and it looks good on you and I know you don’t want something too over the top but don’t you want some beading or a design?”

                “Your father’s right. It needs something more Kalie,” Mom said.

                I looked in the mirror. The simple satin dress with a sweetheart neck line was pretty but my parents were right it was too simple. It had no beading or design on it what so ever so Valerie took me back to the changing room and I tried on something completely different.

                “I really like this one,” I said as Valerie helped me into my second choice.

                “This is one of my favorites,” she replied. “And honey you look gorgeous in this one.”

                There was no mirror in the changing room so I had to take her word for it until I stepped out in front of my family and friends.

                “Oh my….” My mom said when I stopped in front of them.

                “Is that a good oh my or a bad one?” The rest of my family and friends didn’t say anything. Mom grabbed a hold of Dad’s hand and they both started to tear.

                “That’s a good one,” Mom said starting to sniffle.

                Everyone else was speechless expect for Kasey, “You look gorgeous Kayl.”

                I turned around and my jaw dropped. This dress was gorgeous. The mermaid gown with re-embroidered lace and taffeta fabrics fit my body perfectly and the pearl beading, subtle metallic accents, crystal beading and sequins added the perfect touch that wasn’t too over the top for my taste. The dress was elegant, romantic, more than I had ever dreamed it would be.

                “What do you guys think?”

                Mom and Dad couldn’t answer as they were holding back tears too.

                “You look like a bride,” Kim answered teary eyed.

                Michelle and Crystal looked at each other and said, “Our little Kalie is growing up!”

                We all chuckled then Katie said, “The mermaid style really goes well with the whole beach theme.”

                Again we all chuckled and everyone agreed with her.

                Then I really got the tears flowing when I asked, “Do you think Grandma and Grandpa would’ve liked it too?”

                My family lost it.

                My Dad stood up and took my hands. He looked into my eyes and said, “Baby girl, you look so beautiful. I know Grandma and Grandpa are looking down and crying and smiling with us right now.”

                I wiped a few tears from my eyes and said, “This is the dress!”

                My entourage huddled around me for a big group hug. Tears were running down all of our faces, even Kyle and Kasey’s too.

                After Dad paid for my dress—he wouldn’t even let me pull out my wallet when we went to the cash register—we all went out to dinner and Nick met us there.

                “So what does the dress look like?” my fiancé asked after we had placed our orders.

                “Nickolas,” my mother said, “Don’t you know that you are not supposed to know anything about the dress until the day of the wedding? Actually the first time you see the dress will be when she walks down the aisle.”

                “Are you going to stick to tradition like that Kayl?” he asked. “I really can’t wait to see the dress.”

                “Of course I am! And I don’t want us to see each other until I walk down that aisle.”

                “Oh just torture me why don’t ya babe.”

                My family and friends chuckled. Nick flashed one of those sideways grins at me and I laughed myself.

                “I will tell you this son,” my dad said pointing his words toward Nick, “My baby girl’s going to take your breath away in that dress.”

                “She always leaves me breathless Mr. Smith.” He took my hand and kissed my forehead.

                I couldn’t help but blush as my family let out a chorus of awes and how cutes.