- Text Size +

Chapter 9 That’s What We Don’t Have Yet  

*Kalie’s POV*

                Our five month break from the This Is Us Tour went by quickly. I went back to work at Diangela’s and Nick had been working hard on his second solo album. For the most part, the album was kept under lock and key but I helped him with whatever he would let me help with. Just like Now or Never, I helped him write a few lyrics and gave him my creative input with whatever he wanted it for. I cannot tell you how many times I found him asleep at his computer in the studio. I would wake him gently and bring him back to bed. He didn’t get that much sleep while making that album. He got cranky at times and we would have little quarrels here and there but I would leave for work and when I would come home he would apologize then give me a tight embrace and say, “This will all be worth it on the release date. I promise Kayl.”

                “I know baby. You drive me crazy sometimes but I love you anyway,” I would reply. I really wasn’t mad at him at all. I knew how perfect he wanted that CD to be.

                On February 2nd, 2011, Nick woke me up at midnight to drag me into his home studio to present me with the very first physical copy of I’m Taking Off and I was the one who was a little cranky.

                “Nick it’s midnight. I’ve only gotten like half an hour of sleep.”

                “I know, I’m just too excited about this CD. I really want you to be the first hear it fully. Especially since you’re my inspiration for most of the songs.”

                I looked into his eyes. They were so full of excitement and practically pleading with me to listen to the CD. I just couldn’t be mad at those baby blues.

                My lips curved upward, “Play the CD. I feel honored that I’m your inspiration and I’m going to be the first to hear it fully.”   

                “Can I read you something first?”

                “Of course.”

                He took out the booklet from the CD case and turned to the back where his thank yous were.

                “Before I read it I wanted to let you know that this took me forever to write. I didn’t know what I wanted to say exactly without my thank you to you being five pages long.” We both chuckled then he read, “I want to give thanks to my Kayl. You have been my backbone. We have learned so much together and have been through so much together. I don’t think it would have been possible to   complete this album without your love, dedication and support, and for always forgiving me when we had our little tiffs. Thank you for always being compassionate and understanding in times of uncertainty. By always taking my feelings into consideration. By having the biggest heart in the world and most of all, loving me unconditionally. I am truly thankful to have you in my life. I love you.”

                He put the booklet back in its place and I smiled at him, “That was beautiful baby. I love you too. Now play that CD.”

                I’m Taking Off was popped into Nick’s sound system and he and I danced as the music took control. It was so much fun! I had never seen Nick enjoy music of his own creation like this before. He put so much of his time and effort into that CD and I could tell that he was proud of it. I was proud of him. I’m Taking Off quickly became my new favorite CD and a hit with all of his fans, including Michelle and Crystal. We meet up for lunch in the daylight hours and Nick gave them their copies and they too fell in love with their best friend’s newest piece of art when they came back to our house to use the pool and have a listening party.  

                “Oh Nickolas you better get us tickets to this tour because it’s going to be an awesome one!” Michelle said.

                “I am in love with Nothing Left To Lose. It’s a beautiful song,” Crystal commented.

                “Thank you. My inspiration for it is beautiful,” he answered grabbing my hand.

                “Awe!” my best friends squealed.

                I just smiled and readjusted my engagement ring.

                Nick did some press about the release and by the end of the week we found ourselves picking up DJ Lani from the airport. Rich had come down to Florida so he wouldn’t be traveling to the last leg of the This Is Us Tour alone. We invited him to stay with us for a night to break up his flying time.

                “Nick thanks for sending Heather and her Backstreet Buds your new CD. You did a good job on it. It came out great. Heather absolutely loves it.”

                “It was no problem at all. Besides you helped compose the music for practically half of the CD and wrote half of the songs. Thank you for the help.”

                “You’re welcome. It feels good to have my name in that booklet. I’m really honored that you asked me to collaborate with you.”

                “What can I say Rich, you’re good at what you do.”

                I set the table for dinner and when we all sat down I asked Rich, ““How are the wedding plans going for you and Heather?”

                “Our wedding is pretty much planned. It helps a lot when her godfather is David Tutera.”

                “Get out of here!” I gasped.

                “I kid you not. He planned the entire thing for free, pulled strings to get her dress for a reasonable price, and will be walking her down the aisle.”

                “That’s awesome! I love his TV show. And that wedding is going to be gorgeous because he is notorious for his amazing weddings.”

                “And it was great to have him do it all because Heather and I don’t have to deal with it when I come back from tour. The only thing we have to figure out is what our song is going to be.”           

                “Nick! That’s what we don’t have yet. We don’t have our wedding song.”

                “We do have time to figure that out babe.”

                “But it’s important. It will be our song forever.”

                “Babe, we have a lot of travel time to listen to our favorite songs. I know it’s important but we have plenty of time to figure out our song.”

                “That’s true. Any way Rich when is the wedding?”

                “April 16. Your invitation should be in the mail soon. But I actually wanted to ask you Nick, would you be one of my groomsmen?”

                “Yeah man. I was going to ask you the same thing.”

                “That’s funny but sure I’ll be one of your groomsmen.”

                “Well that was fast,” I chuckled.  

                The next day the three of us meet up with the rest of Backstreet and the crew to start our final This Is Us journey which also went rather quickly.

                 Before we knew it we were boarding the plane to takes us back home to Florida.

                “Do you to continue our search for our wedding song?” I offered on of my head phones to Nick once the plane’s captain gave us the all clear to use electronic devices.

                “Sure.”

                I started playing the playlist I had made out of all the love songs on my iPod. I rested my head on Nick’s shoulder and was starting to fall asleep when Two Is Better Than One came on. I looked up at Nick excitedly.

                “Are you thinking what I’m thinking?” I asked.

                “Are you thinking that I basically proposed with this song? The first time I popped the question I mean.”

                I chuckled when his lips raised into a one sided grin.

                “And I was thinking that it would sound really good if Kasey and Leslie sing it together for us. It could symbolize the union of our families. And Mark could play the guitar.”

                “I like it. I think we just found our wedding song Kayl. It's the perfect song.”

                “I think so too.”